Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: fave cdr  (Read 38643 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: fave cdr
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2020, 01:58:27 PM »
I always wrote in sharpie only on that clear plastic circle at the center of the discs.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2020, 09:48:09 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good BluRay writeable drive? My Mac does not have a cd drive. Thanks

I have this Pioneer and it's solid.  I have a PC though, so I can install whatever I want.  ;D  I assume you need an external drive?  If so, here's some recommendations.

Or if it doesn't need to be compact, just external, buy one of these enclosures and then an internal drive from Pioneer, LG, or Plextor.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2020, 01:24:49 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good BluRay writeable drive? My Mac does not have a cd drive. Thanks

I use an ASUS BW-16D1HT that I had flashed by Alex Coluzzi so that I can rip Bluray to my NAS
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2020, 11:31:10 PM »
Let me take back some of what I said about how perfectly all these discs have held up--there is one "clunker", which is Memorex DVD+R double-layer discs. They're slower than 4.7 GB DVD-Rs to begin with, and I've had a few of them just now which were recorded as late as 2010, that my drive sees as being entirely blank now.

So far, my habit of making redundant copies has kept me from losing any material, and fortunately I've transferred almost all such discs that I ever recorded on. But I don't think that was a very good product.

[edited later to add:] I'm also finding that, when I had made multiple audio CDs from the same set of WAV files, each track of each CD often extracts differently in Exact Audio Copy. The file lengths are always identical (so far at least), but the binary contents are mostly not. Nearly all these discs get "self-consistent" results if "Test & Copy" is run multiple times on them; they're just not consistent with one another. (Though I just hit a case where two old audio CDs of the same material extracted absolutely identically.)

I haven't used an audio editor [yet] to compare the files and see what the deal is; for now, I'm hell-bent on copying all the discs.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 11:22:47 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline voltronic

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2020, 06:07:46 AM »
Let me take back some of what I said about how perfectly all these discs have held up--there is one "clunker", which is Memorex DVD+R double-layer discs. They're slower than 4.7 GB DVD-Rs to begin with, and I've had a few of them just now which were recorded as late as 2010, that my drive sees as being entirely blank now.

So far, my habit of making redundant copies has kept me from losing any material, and fortunately I've transferred almost all such discs that I ever recorded on. But I don't think that was a very good product.

I have only ever burned a few double-layer discs, but never for long-term backup purposes because I wasn't as confident about their stability.  The way I think about it, if there is dye bleed on the top layer, that could potentially affect the readability of the bottom layer because the laser will have difficulty getting through or returning back unscathed.

Even though I run all of my backups to BD-R now, I stick with single-layer 25 GB discs rather than 50 GB dual-layer for this same reason.  Maybe it's not as much as a concern as I think it is, but I prefer not to take the risk.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2020, 06:17:41 AM »
One important note about BD-R discs: make sure you are buying HTL discs, and not LTH.  Here is an explanation of the two manufacturing processes and why HTL is the much better choice for long-term storage:
http://blog.digistor.com/not-all-blu-ray-discs-are-created-equal-but-does-bd-r-quality-matter/

These are the discs I use, and they have never let me down.
https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Original-Spindle-Printable-Blueray/dp/B008F5M2OY/
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2020, 03:10:30 PM »
I always tried to make my doubles on a different brand of disc, just in case...
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2020, 09:34:48 AM »
voltronic, since my last message (which I've updated with additional ramblings), I've come across several unbranded, double-layer Blu-Ray discs which were entirely unreadable. The drive saw them as blank, unrecorded discs. That was the symptom with the unreadable Memorex DVD+R DLs as well.

I've set the discs aside to try reading again in a different drive. But if I ever record on optical discs again, I will definitely avoid dual-layer anything.

P.S.: In several instances, the drive reported DVD+R DLs as unrecorded, but then I noticed that I still had "Exact Audio Copy" running. When I closed the app and tried the discs again, the drive was able to read them.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 09:37:57 AM by DSatz »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2020, 06:43:11 AM »
voltronic, since my last message (which I've updated with additional ramblings), I've come across several unbranded, double-layer Blu-Ray discs which were entirely unreadable. The drive saw them as blank, unrecorded discs. That was the symptom with the unreadable Memorex DVD+R DLs as well.

I've set the discs aside to try reading again in a different drive. But if I ever record on optical discs again, I will definitely avoid dual-layer anything.

P.S.: In several instances, the drive reported DVD+R DLs as unrecorded, but then I noticed that I still had "Exact Audio Copy" running. When I closed the app and tried the discs again, the drive was able to read them.

Having a 50 GB backup disc that you cannot read must be intensely frustrating.  I wonder of those BDR-DL discs you have are the HTL type?

That doesn't explain the DVD+R DL issues you are having though.  My assumption (and that's all it is) is simply that DL discs increase the likelihood that something can go wrong.  I only have ever bought one small spindle of TDK DVD+R DL discs, which I used only a handful of before switching to the Verbatim BD-R discs I linked earlier.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2020, 06:56:41 AM »
Slightly off topic but I've had occasion to "back up" a few DVDs and the preponderance of them were DL discs. I've bought enough of them to have run into a frustrating spate of verification failures after a burn... always halting at 50-51% of the way through.

I went to the length to replacing the drive to no effect. I changed discs with some success. What I think was really the problem was the disc wasn't "jumping" from layer 0 to layer 1. Somehow, the meta data that tells the burner where that last sector ended was not being found or honored during verification.

It's almost like you need to treat the two layers as two different discs, or two sides of a vinyl LP.   

Eventually I managed to uncover a tract that discussed the mechanics of what might be bugging me. This software company had an Excel sheet for free download that helped to manually set the track break point for future burns if need be. The antique software that I'm using does allow the user to customize this sector value, so I went to work and it often helped. It also could still have been a disc quality issue. One old UK site I found was quite high on Verbatim discs, so there's an OT referance. I've used them as well as HP.

Trader's Little Helper includes an option to split your tracks at sector boundaries.  This was a fairly active topic of discussion around here at some point.  I never bothered doing this, because I rarely ever burned audio CDs of my recordings and kept everything as FLAC files on data discs or hard drives.

You will find a lot of recommendations about certain media brands, but you have to be careful.  Some of those old recommendations are no longer valid, as some companies are known to have moved their production to cheaper locations and processes.  Case in point: Taiyo Yuden used to be considered the top quality CD-R, but they were bought out by CMC Taiwan and the quality is no longer considered the same.
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/since-ty-death-what-brand-of-cd-r-do-you-buy.595221/
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2020, 07:34:20 PM »
I will be on my way to my storage room shortly to look for stragglers, but apart from whatever I may find there, this afternoon I finished transferring any and all audio or video data that I had on CD-Rs, DVD-Rs, and BD-Rs to a parallel pair of hard drives. It amounts to some 2.67 TB.

This marks the end of a ~25-year phase in which those discs embodied much of my personal history. With very few exceptions I've been disposing of the discs as I went along. It's strange to have just a few dozen special personal items left. Actually, toward the end of the process I was more and more glad to be rid of the damn things.

I felt the urge to "share" about this milestone, and this is the place where I think it will best be understood.

(Actually I was trying to figure out when I started recording on CDs; I think it must have been around 1995 or 96. My first recorder was a Philips CDD-522 external SCSI unit (http://www.hughsnews.ca/philips%E2%80%99-cdd522-is-evolution-not-revolution-0055892) rebranded as "Smart and Friendly"--it cost about $2400 as I recall, and blank discs, which were available at first only in 63-minute (550 MB) capacity, cost around $20 to $25 each when you could get them, which wasn't always. That recorder was a big forward step from the first-generation recorders, which failed at least half the time, ran at 1x speed only, and the blank discs cost $75. They had one of those at the company where I was working back then; it was made by Yamaha and I don't know what it cost, but it was several thousand dollars for sure.)

Next, the cassettes ...

--best regards

Edited later to add: At my storage rooms I found another large carton of recorded discs, so my posting (and all those feelings) was/were two or three days too soon. It's OK; that'll be one large carton fewer, and one large carton closer to the day when I can combine everything from three storage rooms into "only" two.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 11:46:31 PM by DSatz »

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2020, 02:31:11 AM »
ive had some have the dye eaten up by what looks like a mildew/fungus from the edge

cool dark and dry is def best
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline voltronic

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2020, 07:00:04 AM »
DSatz,

That sounds like quite the undertaking.  I do hope you are not disposing of all of your optical discs and relying solely on the two hard drives.  As many have said before, all mechanical drives will fail at some point.  I urge you to have single-layer BD-R backups alongside these drives.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2020, 04:42:15 PM »
My Drobo 5n just decided to stop working. It has everything I've taped in 10 years on it. The "advice" I got for out-of-warrantee tech support is, essentially, buy a new one, put the drives in and hope it doesn't erase them. So make sure you have a lot of multiple backups!
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline voltronic

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2020, 06:37:48 PM »
My Drobo 5n just decided to stop working. It has everything I've taped in 10 years on it. The "advice" I got for out-of-warrantee tech support is, essentially, buy a new one, put the drives in and hope it doesn't erase them. So make sure you have a lot of multiple backups!

What flavor RAID were you running?  Depending on what it was, you might be able to pop them into a PC and still read them.  If it's RAID 1, you might be able to just put one of the drives in and get it all back.  If not, maybe one of these things might help.  I don't do RAID arrays and have tried none of this.

https://www.ufsexplorer.com/articles/how-to/recover-data-drobo.php
https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/how-to-recover-data-from-your-nas/
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com