Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iZotope RX - very clever Spectral Denoise trick  (Read 5543 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
iZotope RX - very clever Spectral Denoise trick
« on: June 28, 2018, 10:16:39 PM »
This is a very clever technique for grabbing a clean noise profile for Spectral Denoise that isn't a dead silent background.  Only works with a quiet audience.
https://twitter.com/TheBaronHimself/status/1012455015141654528

Here's an @iZotopeInc RX de-noise technique:
No clear noise sample? No problem.
1) Remove notes that are ringing out at the end of the track with de-hum.
2) Sample the residual noise with de-noise.
3) Undo de-hum.
4) De-noise.
Worked super well on an acoustic jazz master I did.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: iZotope RX - very clever Spectral Denoise trick
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 03:09:31 AM »
Great idea. Many thanks!
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 11:11:32 AM »
Oh yeah, that's good. 

Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 11:28:49 AM »
Cool. I've wondered about doing something like this to generate a "clean" noise sample when it's difficult to isolate one.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ricola

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 04:45:56 AM »
3) Undo de-hum.
4) De-noise.

....unfortunately I don't understand that (maybe english is not my first language).
I use Izotope RX7 and taped many Jazz Masters...would be interested to try this method.
Anyone who could explain this a little bit better?

@voltronic: ...The Declick module is also very handy for reducing applause sections.
Can you tell me a little bit more about the Declick module settings for doing that??

Thanks...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 04:50:17 AM by ricola »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 03:47:02 PM »
3) Undo de-hum.
4) De-noise.

....unfortunately I don't understand that (maybe english is not my first language).
I use Izotope RX7 and taped many Jazz Masters...would be interested to try this method.
Anyone who could explain this a little bit better?

@voltronic: ...The Declick module is also very handy for reducing applause sections.
Can you tell me a little bit more about the Declick module settings for doing that??

Thanks...

This procedure is only if you can't find a long enough section of "clean" background noise to load into the Spectral Denoise module.

Find a place in your recording where the background is quiet with no audience noise, but there the tail end of a note / chord being sustained.  Look for straight, flat horizontal lines in the spectrum.  Use the de-hum module on that section to remove those sustained notes, leaving just the background behind.  That clean background is what you can now use as a noise profile for the Spectral Denoise module, by highlighting that section, opening Spectral Denoise, and clicking Learn.

NOTE: I have learned the hard way that once you find a clean noise profile, you should export it as a separate file in case the program crashes while you are working and you lose it.  I HIGHLY recommend doing this.

Once your noise profile is "Learned", you Undo back to the point before you used the De-Hum module to remove those tails of notes.  Then you run Spectral Denoise.  My starting point settings for RX6 are the Maximum Quality preset, and the Amount set to 6.

---

As far as Declick, I usually just highlight a section of clapping and use the Vinyl Record preset, sometimes tweaking a couple settings, but often leaving it as-is.  I usually use Declick on sections of full audience applause between songs to lower those peaks down so I can raise the overall level of the entire concert.  For intermittent random claps or other sudden peaks during the music, I use a soft limiter on just the offending noises.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 06:55:50 PM by voltronic »
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 01:52:21 PM »

NOTE: I have learned the hard way that once you find a clean noise profile, you should export it as a separate file in case the program crashes while you are working and you lose it.  I HIGHLY recommend doing this.

I like that idea as a basic archiving move too, then someone in the future has something to go on to know what you used. 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline voltronic

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 06:49:27 PM »

I like that idea as a basic archiving move too, then someone in the future has something to go on to know what you used.

I never thought of it that way, but great point.  Besides not losing your noise sample, the other reason I do this is in case I find later on in the post process that I was over-zealous in my amount of noise reduction, I can just go back to the non-RX generation, apply the noise profile, and go with a different setting.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com