Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Suggestions please for Schoeps  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Spinman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • KVShow
    • The Kynd Veggie Show
Suggestions please for Schoeps
« on: February 04, 2004, 11:30:06 PM »
I've been taping since the early 90's, but It's been a fairly basic rig.  Nak CM300's on an AKG T bar>Audio Magix>DAP1 and/or D8.  The mics were self powered, and it was pretty straight forward.
I'm not that familiar with the various designations of mic placements.. but I've usually run the mics in 8410's and pointed one at one stack..the other at the other.. Or crossed them in what I'm assuming is XY.  (Left mic at right stack, right mic at left stack)
The tapes have turned out well, but I felt it was time to updgrade as I've always loved the warmth of Schoeps mics.
I also have an SBM1, which I've only used a couple of times.. It was just easier to use the DAP1 as an A/D instead...  or use my Sony C1MZX and Vxpocket
Now, here's what I'm planning on using.  I would like suggestions on mic diagrams, settings, and gear to use, etc.  All help is greatly appreciated.
Here's the new rig, which is yet untried.  
Schopes CMC6>MK4>V2>
Now, would I be better of using the A/D in the SBM1(stock), or using the A/D in the VXpocket (24 bit) to go into my Sony C1mzx?  Do I need any other bar?  (I also have two sabrasom mounts, and some Schoeps elastic A20 suspensions)  With the V2 is there a specific gain that is recommended for the Schoeps?
If I run V2 to SBM1, at what point would I have to worry about the line in being too much for the SBM1?  
Sorry for so many questions, I just thought some people more knowledgeable with this setup would have already worked out the bugs, and might be able to save me hours of testing.
Eventually, I'll be using the Nak MX100 mixer some, as well,  but the 3 channel mix is just another variable that coud go wrong, until I figure out the rest of these questions.
Thanks again,
Spinman

Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41>KCY>CMC6>V3>744t
Nak CM700's>Sony C1MZX

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turn JB Up
Re:Suggestions please for Schoeps
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 08:42:12 AM »
well, you won't be able to output 24 bits from the sbm-1.....so personally, i would look at going V2>mme or something like that where you would have the option of going usb 24/48 out of the mme straight to the lappy or vxpocket.
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 10:39:40 AM »
" loved the warmth of Schoeps mics."

????? thats an oxymoron.....j/k :)
I agree with Joe W said.
sell me your sbm-1!(if you can wait another week or so)

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Wes

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 11:18:32 AM »
its a stretch to call schoeps warm..  the mk4's are however pleasantly warm sounding, I prefer them over the 4v's anyday.  If you've got the funds go for the V3.. as for a specific gain, no.. the amount of gain added will be completely up to you.
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 11:30:34 AM »
I would like suggestions on mic diagrams, settings, and gear to use, etc.  

I, for one, love the Schoeps MKx > V3 combo.  I mostly stick to ORTF, DIN, and NOS as I'm very fond of the results.  Some will suggest point at the stacks, some will suggest A/B.  Try 'em all and see what you like.

Now, would I be better of using the A/D in the SBM1(stock), or using the A/D in the VXpocket (24 bit) to go into my Sony C1mzx?

Not a clue as I've never used a stock SBM-1 or VXPocket.

Do I need any other bar?  (I also have two sabrasom mounts, and some Schoeps elastic A20 suspensions)

If you run Schoeps with actives, the Kwonbars come in awfully handy.  If you're running them as full body mics, the A20 shockmounts should work well.  Dunno about the Sabrasoms.  In either case, you'll need a t-bar/vert bar to which you'll afix the shockmounts.  I assume you already have a mounting bar you used with your Naks.

With the V2 is there a specific gain that is recommended for the Schoeps?

No.  Just depends on the situation - apply enough gain to get your leves peaking up as near to 0 as possible.

If I run V2 to SBM1, at what point would I have to worry about the line in being too much for the SBM1?

None.  IME, running V2 > modSBM-1 line-in the SBM-1's ADC will clip before you overload the analog input stage.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Spinman

• Taperssection Regular
  • KVShow
    • The Kynd Veggie Show
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 10:48:41 AM »
Thank you for the responses.  I guess I'm going to have to play around with the gear a few times and figure out what sounds better and likes to work with each other, etc.
I also just picked up a firewire 410, which could possibly take the signal from the V2 directly into the computer bypassing the A/D in the VX pocket.  Eventually, I'll probably do like Brian said and purchase a V3.  I just don't currently have the extra fundage.  
Thanks again,
Dave
p.s
The Schoeps do sound pleasantly warm to me.. but that's compared to my Naks and on my playback system, (and Ocean Ways)  I guess everyone has their own preferences, ears, and descriptions....
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41>KCY>CMC6>V3>744t
Nak CM700's>Sony C1MZX

KC5

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 12:07:03 AM »
"its a stretch to call schoeps warm.."

my .02 regarding the above statement.  i have two tapes i made  with schoeps that have a warm "sound" to them.  taped tye north trio and anger marshall a couple of years back with schoeps mk41>kcy>vms02ib>modded sbm1 ( one of the first in the field back then )>m1.  excellent sounding tape--i was surprised!  the other was sci 3-15-01.  same rig with sbm1 not modded.  kinda the same warm sound.  wierd if you ask me.  i would think of 41's as NOT warm.

bill

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com