Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Upgrading from a Point and Shoot  (Read 6854 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Upgrading from a Point and Shoot
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 06:25:01 PM »
I understand were you're coming from, yet the comparison doesn't really fly.  It's easy to compose the photo without the mics yet impossible to 'crop' the sound pollution. The minor obstacle my mics pose is minuscule and doesn't negatively effect their end product. They move 6" to one side or the other and get perfect shots with my mics out of frame.  The end result for me is a perfect recording of them taking endless photos. ;)

The Indian music photographer clicked on the beat a total of 4 times in probably 500+ shots.  I counted  ::) 

It's mostly about awareness of the impact of our actions.. and respect for others.  I go to great lengths to make my setups as visually unobtrusive as possible.  Often people don't even know they are there, or that they are microphones. 

Of course as recordists we become hyper aware of sound.  Photographers become hyper aware of sightlines and lighting.  I chuckle a bit when I constantly see photographers contort themselves and crawl to stay out of sightlines, only to start talking audibly to each other right in front of the stage.

I love great photography and a great visual performance, but with a few exceptions which I don't care much for anyway, musical performances are after all primarily auditory artforms. I often find myself wishing people would respect that (and each other) a little more, that's all.

As sound aware recordists, if any of you talk with the SLR manufacturers, please put in a plug for quieting the shutter/mirror in upcoming models.  It could certainly be done I can't see any reason why not to. Rather, it would be a competitive advantage for shooting in all kinds of quiet situations beyond music photography.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 05:28:58 PM »
I understand were you're coming from, yet the comparison doesn't really fly.  It's easy to compose the photo without the mics yet impossible to 'crop' the sound pollution. The minor obstacle my mics pose is minuscule and doesn't negatively effect their end product. They move 6" to one side or the other and get perfect shots with my mics out of frame.  The end result for me is a perfect recording of them taking endless photos. ;)

The Indian music photographer clicked on the beat a total of 4 times in probably 500+ shots.  I counted  ::) 

It's mostly about awareness of the impact of our actions.. and respect for others.  I go to great lengths to make my setups as visually unobtrusive as possible.  Often people don't even know they are there, or that they are microphones. 

Of course as recordists we become hyper aware of sound.  Photographers become hyper aware of sightlines and lighting.  I chuckle a bit when I constantly see photographers contort themselves and crawl to stay out of sightlines, only to start talking audibly to each other right in front of the stage.

I love great photography and a great visual performance, but with a few exceptions which I don't care much for anyway, musical performances are after all primarily auditory artforms. I often find myself wishing people would respect that (and each other) a little more, that's all.

As sound aware recordists, if any of you talk with the SLR manufacturers, please put in a plug for quieting the shutter/mirror in upcoming models.  It could certainly be done I can't see any reason why not to. Rather, it would be a competitive advantage for shooting in all kinds of quiet situations beyond music photography.

I have not taped or photographed a show that it would be remotely possible to make out my shutter noise over the band or likely even the ambient crowd chatter. 

I could see it happening in small acoustic performances, but that's not typically what I am shooting so not an issue at all.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 05:35:28 PM »
Just ran across this deal.....

http://dealnews.com/Refurbished-Nikon-D90-12-3-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-for-700-free-shipping/295096.html

Basically it has nearly the same sensor performance as a D300, shoots HD video and is a heck of a good buy at this price.  I'm a little tempted to dump my D200 and pick one up.  One on the way  >:D The few things you give up compared to the D300 is the D90 has a lower frame rate and a less rugged body.  Might cut your lens budget a little tight but the ISO performance and video are probably worth it.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:45:20 PM by phanophish »

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 08:09:02 AM »
To whomever mentioned stage lip mics.

If you're a news photographer shooting the show for a publication you most likely have three songs to get your shot which you're allowed to be up against the stage doing so in most cases.  The reason I say this is that when you're working on a short timeline you tend to ignore anything external, be it mics, people, noise, the music, in order to get your shot.  They probably can't differentiate your stuff from gear that's normally there, so mentioning to them that you're recording would probably would help them steer clear.  They're not trying to be an ass.... they're in the zone if you will.

Now if it's someone who is bringing their camera and clicking away the whole show...that is another story.

To the original poster: Skip any kit lenses, they're rubbish as has been mentioned i'm sure.  Do you research on whichever camera has the best high ISO performance within your budget.  Buy that one.  I think Nikon's really do this better, and most concerts the shutter won't be noticed, unless you're doing classical. Most people besides tapers will still tune you out cause they're focused on the music and are somewhat more immune to external noise since they're not recording.

Lenses:  Canon and Nikon make a 50mm F1.8 lens which is not much more than $100, that's essential.  Also consider the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 lens.  Great lens, very close in quality to the Nikkor version.  That should run you about $400.  That's a good starting kit there.
mics & cameras

Offline kcmule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
Just ran across this deal.....

http://dealnews.com/Refurbished-Nikon-D90-12-3-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-for-700-free-shipping/295096.html

I'm a little tempted to dump my D200 and pick one up.  One on the way  >:D

You slut.  :P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com