Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Xmas Jam taping newbie  (Read 4918 times)

Offline jasonrockhill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Xmas Jam taping newbie
« on: December 12, 2004, 06:31:32 PM »
Looking forward to next Saturday night and the much anticipated Christmas Jam hosted by none other than Mr. Warren Haynes.  I am also looking forward to using my new JB3 that will be delivered by UPS on Monday (Hopefully!).  I have not had the funds to buy the Hosa ODL-276 as planned, so I am wondering what are the chances of me gettting a digital patch?  I know there are certain pre's that have optical out, which are they and what do they look like?  If you could attach a pic or shoot me to a website that would be outstanding.  I am planning to take the trusty D8 for a backup, but I really would rather not use it (or maybe patch from 2 different sources?!?)  How long has the Xmas Jams of past lasted?  Wondering what kind of DAT tapes to bring...maybe a 90m and a 60m?  I really would rather not mess with the D8, but it might be fun to get two sources for comparison.  Wondering what are the standards for patching these days?  I usually wait until the setup is complete, then make my way over and introduce myself and show my equipment and cables.  Then ask if they would rather me start the deck, or if they would rather me stay outta the way.  Only once have i had to stay and start my deck.  I then ask if they would like a beer or something to drink and bring it back before making my way down front.  Setbreak stop by and change tapes (60m) and check batteries, usually ask if they want me to hang out by the stand while they take a piss or smoke or whatever.  I try and stay out of the way as much as possible, but make sure everything is going well.  Who all will be in Asheville on Sat?  Thanks for the help...

Rockhill

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
Re: Xmas Jam taping newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2004, 07:53:01 PM »
Be prepared for a marathon of music, the last 3 i went to were like 8 hours long!  Look for people with edirol UA5's they have a optical out, I think some V3 have been modded, not sure though, but I know a lot of people run em in to JB3. Good luck!
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 09:28:24 PM »
the old apogee ad500's and ad1000's have optical outs...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

jimmc

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 10:10:43 PM »
AD-20 also has an optical-out on it.

As stated, be prepared for a long night of music.  You will need at to bring about 3 or 4 fully charged JB3 batts with you to make it through the whole night of taping.
Might be easier to use your D8 for the majority of the show, then maybe get a second patch to run your JB3 as a test.
Either way, have fun. I've been to 2 X-Mass Jam's buy I'm unfortunately missing this years. (and last year)
Jim
+T for the new taping gear.

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 11:14:32 PM »
if you can get the power supply together, i'll have a hosa for you
we all live downstream.

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 11:06:22 AM »
You will need at to bring about 3 or 4 fully charged JB3 batts

I'd say 4 is overkill. 3 is plenty...that's 9 hrs. Door @ 7, show over @ 2am at the very latest. And there are mini setbreaks. If I only had 2 batts I'd stop recording after each set. Since I have 3 I'm just gonna roll without pausing.

1. Start recording.
2. Start a new recording @ whichever setbreak is close to the 1st 3 hrs ...probably after the 3rd band.
3. Before the final band which I assume is Mule, I'll throw in a fresh batt and start a new recording then.

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 12:52:22 PM »
v3

ad20

ua-5
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

Offline jasonrockhill

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 01:18:43 PM »
Thank you for all the help.  John, thank you for your offer of lending me a ODL-276 for the night.  Is there is a step-by-step instruction guide online for builiding the RC battery pack online somewhere?  Will it be a problem finding the correct adaptor since I do not have the a/c power cord that comes with the unit?  Can someone guide me thru what will be needed for my trip to radio shack tonight?  Any Nashville people out there know where to buy 90meter and 60meter DAT tapes?  Stopped by Guitar Center @ 100 Oaks last night and they only have audio DATs (60min and 90 min).  I think I am gonna run both the JB3 (with two batteries but stopping between sets) and my D8 which will probably go thru 12 AA's before the night is over.  Anyone gonna try and grab a board patch for Little Feat?  I know they allow patches but might not Saturday since it is a multi-act show.  How many stands are usually FOB?  Thinking of trying to find a patch up front and then help block the surrounding area, but I know that space is tight up there.  Have people had luck with the JB3 running for 6 hours with two batteries?  Cant wait for Saturday night...thanks again for the help..

Rockhill

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 01:30:07 PM »
Is there is a step-by-step instruction guide online for builiding the RC battery pack online somewhere?  Will it be a problem finding the correct adaptor since I do not have the a/c power cord that comes with the unit?  Can someone guide me thru what will be needed for my trip to radio shack tonight?

Check the Archival Info forum for a DIY thread on building SLA and RC battery packs.  I don't know the specific RS plug # or specs for connecting to the Hosa box, but it looks like one of the standard adaptaplugs RS carries.  Just take the Hosa box into RS and try the different plugs to see which one fits.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 02:11:51 PM »
Any Nashville people out there know where to buy 90meter and 60meter DAT tapes?

I can hook you up...I've got a ton of unused, still sealed DATs I don't need anymore. We could meet up somewhere tomorrow if you need 'em. Just let me know when/where/and how many tapes you'll need.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline jasonrockhill

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 02:28:22 PM »
Nick, check your IM...

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 10:36:14 PM »
Is there is a step-by-step instruction guide online for builiding the RC battery pack online somewhere?  Will it be a problem finding the correct adaptor since I do not have the a/c power cord that comes with the unit?  Can someone guide me thru what will be needed for my trip to radio shack tonight?

Check the Archival Info forum for a DIY thread on building SLA and RC battery packs.  I don't know the specific RS plug # or specs for connecting to the Hosa box, but it looks like one of the standard adaptaplugs RS carries.  Just take the Hosa box into RS and try the different plugs to see which one fits.

i posted it somewhere in rigs(i think)
we all live downstream.

Offline jasonrockhill

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2004, 02:08:52 PM »
Nick G, check your IM please...

Found out that A/C plug for the ODL-276 is .3 diameter and .5 length.  Gonna head to Ratshack after work and see if I can rig me a cord together.  Thanks for the help and see you on Saturday night!!

Rockhill

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.226 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com