Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "my" rig and stuff  (Read 6731 times)

Offline kidrocklive

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • If it's real, You'll feel it!
    • My Trade List
"my" rig and stuff
« on: April 15, 2006, 10:53:51 AM »
I recently borrowed a rig from a friend, test out the whole taping thing. This is what I got from him:

Coresound Binaurals and a Sharp MT90 MD

CSBs w/switchable bass filter

The battery box is kinda like a long black box (if anybody knows what i'm talking about) I could post a picture if needed.  Anyway, I was wondering if anybody could give me tips on how to stealth this rig, or possibly a what to do/ not to do list haha.

My buddy told me that what he did with the rig was, put everything in a cloth pouch type thing and put that right about where you'd buckle your belt, put a belt on tight and have a belt buckle on it. He said that if they wand you, they won't do anything when it goes off over your belt, and if they padd you down, they won't padd there either, so i'd be good to go.

I was wondering, in everybody's educated opinion, would you agree with this as being the best method for me to use?  I plan on taping a show at the emerald theatre later this month and the 2 shows at the palace in may. I know that most of the time the first few times somebody tapes a show it doesn't come out very good as you're still learning and all, but I just wanted to get as much info on all of this as I possibly could so that i'd be as prepared as I can be. Thanks for everybodys help with this.

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
Re: "my" rig and stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 12:49:27 PM »
This archive thread might help...http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=4313.0
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline kidrocklive

• Taperssection Member
    • My Trade List
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 01:05:26 PM »

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 07:39:44 PM »
I think your friend has given you good advice.  IT's even better advice if you have a ridiculously huge belt buckle.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 08:45:52 PM »
Check your e-mail.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline kidrocklive

• Taperssection Member
    • My Trade List
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 09:52:13 PM »
I think your friend has given you good advice.  IT's even better advice if you have a ridiculously huge belt buckle.

could you post a picture of what you'd classify as ridculously huge?

Offline kidrocklive

• Taperssection Member
    • My Trade List
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 09:53:22 PM »

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 10:18:36 PM »
I recently borrowed a rig from a friend, test out the whole taping thing. This is what I got from him:

The battery box is kinda like a long black box (if anybody knows what i'm talking about) I could post a picture if needed.  Anyway, I was wondering if anybody could give me tips on how to stealth this rig, or possibly a what to do/ not to do list haha.

My buddy told me that what he did with the rig was, put everything in a cloth pouch type thing and put that right about where you'd buckle your belt, put a belt on tight and have a belt buckle on it. He said that if they wand you, they won't do anything when it goes off over your belt, and if they padd you down, they won't padd there either, so i'd be good to go.

I was wondering, in everybody's educated opinion, would you agree with this as being the best method for me to use?  I plan on taping a show at the emerald theatre later this month and the 2 shows at the palace in may. I know that most of the time the first few times somebody tapes a show it doesn't come out very good as you're still learning and all, but I just wanted to get as much info on all of this as I possibly could so that i'd be as prepared as I can be. Thanks for everybodys help with this.

Run the mics into the recorder LINE IN, the bass roll-off with the CS box will be at a slightly lower point due to the inputs impedence difference.  The roll is made for Sony's mic in spec, it's slightly different with Sharp units, but I can't remember the #'s off-hand.  You can easily remove some of the bass if needed, but if you overload the mic-in your recording is trashed.  Right on the PA at an arena show the input level for line in @25 worked out about perfect, if you're not up close you might be ok at full 30, you can play around with that at home.

Best of luck!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 10:21:21 PM by Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan »
Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline kidrocklive

• Taperssection Member
    • My Trade List
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 01:13:45 AM »

Run the mics into the recorder LINE IN, the bass roll-off with the CS box will be at a slightly lower point due to the inputs impedence difference.  The roll is made for Sony's mic in spec, it's slightly different with Sharp units, but I can't remember the #'s off-hand.  You can easily remove some of the bass if needed, but if you overload the mic-in your recording is trashed.  Right on the PA at an arena show the input level for line in @25 worked out about perfect, if you're not up close you might be ok at full 30, you can play around with that at home.

Best of luck!

haha, you lost me after "run the mics into LINE IN". Thanks for helping though.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 09:06:58 AM »

Not like "I just won a rodeo" huge, but just like a beer label belt buckle or something like that.  Just somethign that will reinforce the notion that their wand is going off because of the belt buckle.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 09:09:21 AM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline kidrocklive

• Taperssection Member
    • My Trade List
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 09:18:21 AM »

Not like "I just won a rodeo" huge, but just like a beer label belt buckle or something like that.  Just somethign that will reinforce the notion that their wand is going off because of the belt buckle.

haha, love the rodeo comment. Yeh, that's understandable. I'll probably go shopping for the pouch and belt later this week

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 09:31:09 AM »

haha, love the rodeo comment. Yeh, that's understandable. I'll probably go shopping for the pouch and belt later this week

You should shop at the liquor store.... crown royal!

BTW - if you are near bay city MI, Mill End downtown has some pretty sweet belt buckles.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline kidrocklive

• Taperssection Member
    • My Trade List
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 10:22:05 AM »

BTW - if you are near bay city MI, Mill End downtown has some pretty sweet belt buckles.

I can't buy booze, i'm 19. I'm not sure if i'm near bay city or not, I live in waterford, which is apart of oakland county but don't travel much and would have to look at a map.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 10:54:39 AM »

You should shop at the liquor store.... crown royal! ;D

I can't buy booze, i'm 19. I'm not sure if i'm near bay city or not, I live in waterford, which is apart of oakland county but don't travel much and would have to look at a map.

nah, you're not by bay city.  Maybe you could find a cool belt buckle in royal oak or something? 

About the crown royal, have a drunk buy it for an evening and steal the pouch! 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline kidrocklive

• Taperssection Member
    • My Trade List
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 04:31:43 PM »
do I really need a belt buckle? The person that gave me the rig said he always just wore a regular belt and never really used a add-on belt buckle, I miss understood him before. I was just wanting others opinions on if this would work out fine or if I realy should get an add-on belt buckle

nameloc01

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 03:27:10 PM »

funny. i picked one up 2 weeks ago for that exact reason.well...maybe a little bit for the crown too. ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com