Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 2011c Twin Card with short interference tube  (Read 14005 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
DPA 2011c Twin Card with short interference tube
« on: January 18, 2013, 02:02:15 PM »
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=item&category=234&item=24396

Any thoughts on these? I'm not good with charts. :P Price is good.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: DPA 2011c Twin Card with short interference tube
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 06:34:42 PM »
Its on the tighter end of the cardioid gamut (per DPA before they posted the graphs). Bennett ran a set for a panic show once.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline ts

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 07:42:49 AM »
Kinda like a DPA hyper. :o The only thing I don't like about this series is the additional cap selection is pricey. Although this setup is a great entry, you might as well just jump into some 4021's.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 12:14:49 PM »
Kinda like a DPA hyper. :o The only thing I don't like about this series is the additional cap selection is pricey. Although this setup is a great entry, you might as well just jump into some 4021's.

I wouldn't go that far; it has the same 90 and 120 degree rejection values as the 4011 (mildly tighter further back though), but it's not as tight as the gefell m21 at 120degrees which AFAIK is the most open hyper cap.

The benefit here for most is if you want the other caps later without buying the bodies. The reason to get the new bodies is the performance/noise specs are better than the 402x counterparts (THD levels being an example) and these are balanced to the body while the 402x were only balanced at the xlr end, not the cable between. Most people here aren't going to need that but some will be taping in an environment where that's helpful.

If they come out with a true hyper between the 4011 and 4017 then that would be a reason, or if they did a figure 8 as those wouldn't be made for the 402x style.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 12:38:00 PM »
I would love to hear a comp between the new 20xx-c and 40xx-c capsules, the 20xx are half the cost for a matched set...

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 04:40:44 PM »
The benefit here for most is if you want the other caps later without buying the bodies. The reason to get the new bodies is the performance/noise specs are better than the 402x counterparts (THD levels being an example) and these are balanced to the body while the 402x were only balanced at the xlr end, not the cable between. Most people here aren't going to need that but some will be taping in an environment where that's helpful.

In addition to the improved performance, the 4011c is a bit cheaper than the 4021/2/3.  And buying a second set of caps, while definitely DPA-priced, is much less expensive than a second pair of compacts.  I also like the flexibility in cabling that you get with the compact bodies.  I think the modulars are a better deal overall unless you really need the smallest possible option...

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 05:46:14 PM »

In addition to the improved performance, the 4011c is a bit cheaper than the 4021/2/3.  And buying a second set of caps, while definitely DPA-priced, is much less expensive than a second pair of compacts.  I also like the flexibility in cabling that you get with the compact bodies.  I think the modulars are a better deal overall unless you really need the smallest possible option...

its tough because there are only a handful of the new mmp-c sets out there and none have turned up used yet, while we can find the older individual lines used easily enough. So comparing the used old ones to the new ones there is a bigger price jump. Thats sort of a duh, but if you start getting multiple caps, thats where even new, it starts to pay off.

As for the 2011 in particular. It will have the same sonic "flavor" as the bigger brother (however ironic that term may be with DPA). I don't have the files handy, but I don't recall being disappointed with what Bennett had done.

Offline ts

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 07:45:40 AM »
I'm dl'ing it now. Is this the only recording with the 2011c's?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 10:24:05 AM »
I'm dl'ing it now. Is this the only recording with the 2011c's?

it's the only one I know of.

Offline ts

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 11:53:35 AM »
Listening now. I like. I miss my 4023's. The main reason I got rid of them was lack of use relative to their high cost. Another reason was I don't always fight for the sweet spot. But for $1600 I can get back on the team and not feel like I have to be in that spot all the time. ;D

Offline axomxa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • If it ain't live, it ain't Dead
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 11:27:52 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the source with the 2011's.  I have been considering the 2011A but could not find any sources for either.  Thanks again, gonna check that wsp source out.
Mics: MBHO 603 (KA200N, matched pair) / AKG C460B (ck63, a60/ck1, NBob/PFA actives) / Senn MS14P (MKE 4012 supercards & 4010 cards) / AKG SE300B (ck91 & ck92)
Mic Cables: 15' 3 channel GAKable / 15' custom Star Quad / 12' Mogami
Pres/ADC:  Grace V3 / Denecke PS2 > Denecke AD20
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod) / Tascam D70 / Sony PCM-D50

Photography rig:
Canon 60D, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

LMA tapes:   https://archive.org/search.php?query=crupi%20AND%20collection%3Aetree&sort=-publicdate
Etree tapes:  http://bt.etree.org/?searchsss=axomxa&cat=0

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 11:43:50 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the source with the 2011's.  I have been considering the 2011A but could not find any sources for either.  Thanks again, gonna check that wsp source out.

any reason on the full mmp-a body? It's longer and more expensive than the C.

Offline axomxa

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 12:03:12 AM »
I have never been partial to compact design in general, do not stealth and most importantly prefer less "body" in low end.  The A model would seem best for my needs.  Although the price difference is somehting to consider.  Wish I cold get a comp with the A but there is not one out there that I know of.     
Mics: MBHO 603 (KA200N, matched pair) / AKG C460B (ck63, a60/ck1, NBob/PFA actives) / Senn MS14P (MKE 4012 supercards & 4010 cards) / AKG SE300B (ck91 & ck92)

Photography rig:

LMA tapes:   https://archive.org/search.php?query=crupi%20AND%20collection%3Aetree&sort=-publicdate

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 12:45:34 AM »
fair enough. I don't have a grasp on how noticeable DPA's remark about the sonic differences is, but I needed smaller bodies (on stage/stage-lip), and the $300 difference was welcome to me.

Offline axomxa

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 01:00:54 AM »
Do you own the mics?

I have no peers on that dl so not sure when I will get my sample source.  Thanks for input.

Photography rig:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com