Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 2011c Twin Card with short interference tube  (Read 13962 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
DPA 2011c Twin Card with short interference tube
« on: January 18, 2013, 02:02:15 PM »
http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=item&category=234&item=24396

Any thoughts on these? I'm not good with charts. :P Price is good.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: DPA 2011c Twin Card with short interference tube
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 06:34:42 PM »
Its on the tighter end of the cardioid gamut (per DPA before they posted the graphs). Bennett ran a set for a panic show once.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline ts

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 07:42:49 AM »
Kinda like a DPA hyper. :o The only thing I don't like about this series is the additional cap selection is pricey. Although this setup is a great entry, you might as well just jump into some 4021's.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 12:14:49 PM »
Kinda like a DPA hyper. :o The only thing I don't like about this series is the additional cap selection is pricey. Although this setup is a great entry, you might as well just jump into some 4021's.

I wouldn't go that far; it has the same 90 and 120 degree rejection values as the 4011 (mildly tighter further back though), but it's not as tight as the gefell m21 at 120degrees which AFAIK is the most open hyper cap.

The benefit here for most is if you want the other caps later without buying the bodies. The reason to get the new bodies is the performance/noise specs are better than the 402x counterparts (THD levels being an example) and these are balanced to the body while the 402x were only balanced at the xlr end, not the cable between. Most people here aren't going to need that but some will be taping in an environment where that's helpful.

If they come out with a true hyper between the 4011 and 4017 then that would be a reason, or if they did a figure 8 as those wouldn't be made for the 402x style.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline cd2go

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Strictly Slambovian
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 12:38:00 PM »
I would love to hear a comp between the new 20xx-c and 40xx-c capsules, the 20xx are half the cost for a matched set...

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 04:40:44 PM »
The benefit here for most is if you want the other caps later without buying the bodies. The reason to get the new bodies is the performance/noise specs are better than the 402x counterparts (THD levels being an example) and these are balanced to the body while the 402x were only balanced at the xlr end, not the cable between. Most people here aren't going to need that but some will be taping in an environment where that's helpful.

In addition to the improved performance, the 4011c is a bit cheaper than the 4021/2/3.  And buying a second set of caps, while definitely DPA-priced, is much less expensive than a second pair of compacts.  I also like the flexibility in cabling that you get with the compact bodies.  I think the modulars are a better deal overall unless you really need the smallest possible option...

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 05:46:14 PM »

In addition to the improved performance, the 4011c is a bit cheaper than the 4021/2/3.  And buying a second set of caps, while definitely DPA-priced, is much less expensive than a second pair of compacts.  I also like the flexibility in cabling that you get with the compact bodies.  I think the modulars are a better deal overall unless you really need the smallest possible option...

its tough because there are only a handful of the new mmp-c sets out there and none have turned up used yet, while we can find the older individual lines used easily enough. So comparing the used old ones to the new ones there is a bigger price jump. Thats sort of a duh, but if you start getting multiple caps, thats where even new, it starts to pay off.

As for the 2011 in particular. It will have the same sonic "flavor" as the bigger brother (however ironic that term may be with DPA). I don't have the files handy, but I don't recall being disappointed with what Bennett had done.

Offline ts

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 07:45:40 AM »
I'm dl'ing it now. Is this the only recording with the 2011c's?

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 10:24:05 AM »
I'm dl'ing it now. Is this the only recording with the 2011c's?

it's the only one I know of.

Offline ts

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 11:53:35 AM »
Listening now. I like. I miss my 4023's. The main reason I got rid of them was lack of use relative to their high cost. Another reason was I don't always fight for the sweet spot. But for $1600 I can get back on the team and not feel like I have to be in that spot all the time. ;D

Offline axomxa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • If it ain't live, it ain't Dead
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 11:27:52 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the source with the 2011's.  I have been considering the 2011A but could not find any sources for either.  Thanks again, gonna check that wsp source out.
Mics: MBHO 603 (KA200N, matched pair) / AKG C460B (ck63, a60/ck1, NBob/PFA actives) / Senn MS14P (MKE 4012 supercards & 4010 cards) / AKG SE300B (ck91 & ck92)
Mic Cables: 15' 3 channel GAKable / 15' custom Star Quad / 12' Mogami
Pres/ADC:  Grace V3 / Denecke PS2 > Denecke AD20
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod) / Tascam D70 / Sony PCM-D50

Photography rig:
Canon 60D, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

LMA tapes:   https://archive.org/search.php?query=crupi%20AND%20collection%3Aetree&sort=-publicdate
Etree tapes:  http://bt.etree.org/?searchsss=axomxa&cat=0

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 11:43:50 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the source with the 2011's.  I have been considering the 2011A but could not find any sources for either.  Thanks again, gonna check that wsp source out.

any reason on the full mmp-a body? It's longer and more expensive than the C.

Offline axomxa

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 12:03:12 AM »
I have never been partial to compact design in general, do not stealth and most importantly prefer less "body" in low end.  The A model would seem best for my needs.  Although the price difference is somehting to consider.  Wish I cold get a comp with the A but there is not one out there that I know of.     
Mics: MBHO 603 (KA200N, matched pair) / AKG C460B (ck63, a60/ck1, NBob/PFA actives) / Senn MS14P (MKE 4012 supercards & 4010 cards) / AKG SE300B (ck91 & ck92)

Photography rig:

LMA tapes:   https://archive.org/search.php?query=crupi%20AND%20collection%3Aetree&sort=-publicdate

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 12:45:34 AM »
fair enough. I don't have a grasp on how noticeable DPA's remark about the sonic differences is, but I needed smaller bodies (on stage/stage-lip), and the $300 difference was welcome to me.

Offline axomxa

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 01:00:54 AM »
Do you own the mics?

I have no peers on that dl so not sure when I will get my sample source.  Thanks for input.

Photography rig:

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 01:09:28 AM »
Do you own the mics?

I have no peers on that dl so not sure when I will get my sample source.  Thanks for input.

I have 4015 caps and the mmp-c bodies. I've thought about the 2011 caps, but have other things on my list first.

Offline ts

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 03:12:41 PM »
Reviving this old thread. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on these. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros>
a. I have the money now and they are available. :laugh:
b. Combine these with the available DPA cables and you have one small rig, almost active small.
c. The short interference tube with dual card caps sounds like a live PA tapers dream.
d. Price. They are in my budget.
e. the DPA 4018 will soon be available. Not in my budget, but hey, I can always dream.

Cons>
a. If I don't like these caps, what would they be worth used and who would buy them?
b. Only one recording out there. It's a good one, but it's still only one.
c. No comps.

Or should I even be concerned with not liking caps that are relatively cheap in DPA land. $450 each new. Worth $300 each used? I've done dumber things with this hobby.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 04:15:04 PM »
Any bets on the possibility of a 2018 showing up before 2018?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 04:24:54 PM »
Any bets on the possibility of a 2018 showing up before 2018?

exceedingly unlikely.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 04:27:54 PM »
Unlikely I accept, but why exceedingly?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 04:42:47 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »
DPA has traditionally done new cap patterns on a very measured and rare basis. The market for a lower budget cap that is more restrictive than the x011 is probably not big enough to put it on the front burner of priorities. Thats all.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 04:50:55 PM »
Yep, that's reasonable.

Although they've had a flurry of new caps and patterns in the past few years, so if that keeps up..

Before your post I was going to edit my last one to add-
Potential conflict with 4018 sales? The 2011 seems more differentiated from the 4011 in my mind than the omnis.  Perhaps the 4006 is iconic enough that the 2006 doesn't crowd it too much. 

Extending the wish game, I'd like to see a 2015 in 2015 please! 2018 and 2015 caps would make for a mighty fine taper set value.  I dig the big DPAs but I can't personally justify their high cost.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »
It's made by DPA; I don't think there is any doubt as to its quality.

Getting $$ used depends where you sell it. In the YS here it's probably a non-starter, as people here tend to be skittish about that which they don't know (sometimes, but not always, with good reason). If you wanted to unload them, I'm sure plenty of folks in the professional market would want them, and you'd get a good price on GS or eBay or whatever.

But really, if you like the DPA sound, I find it hard to imagine these wouldn't suit you, especially at that price...
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 09:55:13 AM »
I dig the big DPAs but I can't personally justify their high cost.

I have yet to find anything that sounds better, so that factors into the cost...

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 10:10:42 AM »
Or should I even be concerned with not liking caps that are relatively cheap in DPA land. $450 each new. Worth $300 each used? I've done dumber things with this hobby.

I could probably be persuaded to take them off your hands, if you don't like them!  I have other things higher up my list, but, if a decent deal for a pair of these came around, I would like to try them...

Offline ts

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 01:36:46 PM »
I dig the big DPAs but I can't personally justify their high cost.

I have yet to find anything that sounds better, so that factors into the cost...

Scott, what's your take on the 2011's?

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 01:56:24 PM »
I don't think I've heard of anything done with the 2011s

Offline mterry

• recordings
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2023, 11:53:11 AM »
Bump. Anyone with experience running these for more than one show in 2012?
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2023, 01:35:43 PM »
Might want to check these out!

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/pencil/2012-compact-cardioid-microphone

Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline mterry

• recordings
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2023, 02:20:51 PM »
Yum!

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"

Offline mterry

• recordings
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2023, 04:59:54 PM »

Pulled the plug and grabbed a set. Backorder, but will be post here when I get to start running them.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2023, 08:22:03 AM »
Nice!

Pulled the plug and grabbed a set. Backorder, but will be post here when I get to start running them.

Offline mterry

• recordings
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2023, 01:09:33 PM »
These buddies are rad!

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2023, 03:29:25 PM »
Nice size!

Am I correct in assuming the capsule does not detach from the body?

Offline mterry

• recordings
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2023, 03:44:20 PM »
I believe so. I didn't want to twist and try and find out.

They are a touch smaller than I thought they would be. With the wind screens, only about 2 inches of the body show. More low profile than I thought, but I'm happy about it.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2023, 03:53:35 PM »
^ I am actually surprised by how big they are (relatively speaking), as I thought they would be closer in size to the mics with the MMP-C pre-amps. Very curious to hear how they sound!

Offline mterry

• recordings
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2023, 04:45:12 PM »
I guess I was (in my mind) expecting a little more length. The girth is fine though  :coolguy:

For a while back in 09-11 I rand the audix m1280s which were very small as well, switchable caps which were nice….but should be fun to see if these get the whole DPA sound in a smaller price tag (running into mini me)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2023, 05:11:32 PM »
^ I am very curious to hear how they sound as well. I toy with the idea of buying a pair of 4011 caps (I already have two pairs of the MMP-C pres), but I wouldn't mind a less expensive option. The case looks pretty good for fitting in a gear bag, as well.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2023, 05:39:57 PM »
Nice, they look great!  You should have Scott(SRS) make you a DIN bar for them. 

I guess I was (in my mind) expecting a little more length. The girth is fine though  :coolguy:

For a while back in 09-11 I rand the audix m1280s which were very small as well, switchable caps which were nice….but should be fun to see if these get the whole DPA sound in a smaller price tag (running into mini me)

Offline mterry

• recordings
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2023, 05:46:10 PM »
Nice, they look great!  You should have Scott(SRS) make you a DIN bar for them. 

On it. I emailed him about 2 weeks ago. Din / ortf are on his radar. Hopefully
By show time end of July.

Offline mterry

• recordings
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2023, 08:56:48 PM »
For those curious about the case size…

Offline mterry

• recordings
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2023, 09:30:33 PM »
Woo hoo!!!

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2023, 09:38:33 PM »

That's slick. Small too. I like it. Looks tidy and easy to set up.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline mterry

• recordings
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2023, 11:44:08 PM »

That's slick. Small too. I like it. Looks tidy and easy to set up.

Yeah, turned out well. Waiting for cables from Ted and other than that I’m ready to roll!

Offline mterry

• recordings
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2023, 04:56:39 PM »
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=202901.0

First recording in the books from last night. - mark

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.271 seconds with 73 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com