Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How Many Sources?  (Read 9404 times)

Offline moondust.and.solitude

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Holding hands singing kumbaya
How Many Sources?
« on: November 16, 2022, 02:33:27 PM »
I imagine a lot of tapers do this, just curious as to how many sources you have per show? I usually end up with 3. Of course I'll have my mics mounted on/under my collar, my wife (or if she doesn't go, my son usually does) has another set of mics and for some reason I always use the iPhone with one of those lightning adapter mics. This has been a blessing as if I need to eliminate a loud whistler, screamer or talker, I can borrow a few seconds from one of the other sources to splice in. Sometime, rarely, I will do a three source matrix mix but I'm usually not a fan of those.

Do you do this as well?
Mics: Lewitt LCT-040; Naiant X-X Omni's; Audio Technica U853AW's; Sony ECM-166BMP's; Audio Technica AT-853's.
Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Cables; Canare Custom Cables, UniStar LilRed Whip.
Recorders: Tascam DR-100mkIII; Tascam DR-05x, Tascam PortaCapture X8, Sony PCM-A10.
Misc: Samsung EVO Plus 128GB SDXC Cards.
RayoVac Fusion Batteries.

• Taperssection Regular
Re: How Many Sources?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 02:36:10 PM »
I failed to mention this in the original post, but the most I have had for one show is 8. It was complete overkill, but we had fun with it as we felt like a walking Radio Shack going into the venue. Lol.
Mics: Lewitt LCT-040; Naiant X-X Omni's; Audio Technica U853AW's; Sony ECM-166BMP's; Audio Technica AT-853's.
Recorders: Tascam DR-100mkIII; Tascam DR-05x, Tascam PortaCapture X8, Sony PCM-A10.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 03:02:45 PM »
for larger, open taping shows, kindms and I have had 2 "decks" with at most 4 pairs of mics. My fave multi source set up was 4 channels of AUD with 2 channels of SBD for the "Lunch at the Egg" series in 2018.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2022, 03:15:03 PM »
for larger, open taping shows, kindms and I have had 2 "decks" with at most 4 pairs of mics. My fave multi source set up was 4 channels of AUD with 2 channels of SBD for the "Lunch at the Egg" series in 2018.

Very nice. I treasure those SBD patches. Drivin' & Cryin' usually give me one and I love mixing it with an audience recording. They are one of the few "open tape" bands that I get to see.

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 03:34:38 PM »
I think the most I've done was 7 mics and mono SBD, I'd call 5 of the mics a virtual coincident stereo array, and the other 2 spaced omni's.  I experiment a lot and don't have a regular thing I do.   The coincident is usually mid side, or dual mid side, or horizontal B array.  MS additional channels may be options to compare later, like cardioid or shotgun mid, and/or mid omni that might be low passed for bass only.  If I'm doing more than mono, but not more than 2 mics, it's usually MS.   If I'm stealthing, it's usually mono with a 4060 omni, have never been happy with the motion effects of stereo in a stealth situation, though I may do it so as to pick the best of the two at various points.  I haven't gone PAS all that many times though I recognize the value in many situations. 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 03:43:32 PM »
I think the most I've done was 7 mics and mono SBD, I'd call 5 of the mics a virtual coincident stereo array, and the other 2 spaced omni's.  I experiment a lot and don't have a regular thing I do.   The coincident is usually mid side, or dual mid side, or horizontal B array.  MS additional channels may be options to compare later, like cardioid or shotgun mid, and/or mid omni that might be low passed for bass only.  If I'm doing more than mono, but not more than 2 mics, it's usually MS.   If I'm stealthing, it's usually mono with a 4060 omni, have never been happy with the motion effects of stereo in a stealth situation, though I may do it so as to pick the best of the two at various points.  I haven't gone PAS all that many times though I recognize the value in many situations.

You made some VERY interesting points there. I have never thought about using Omni's low passed for bass only. I usually lean towards Cardioids to cut down on nearby chatter but at the sacrifice of low end. Your method is very intriguing! Thank you.

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 04:17:51 PM »
If we're just talking about mics (not sbd) almost always 1. Only time I'll ever run more than one pair of mics is if I'm on stage lip. I like the combination of cards and spaced omnis up there. Never understood tapers that run >4 ch outside of the context of just doing mic shootouts/comparisons

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2022, 04:25:06 PM »
If we're just talking about mics (not sbd) almost always 1. Only time I'll ever run more than one pair of mics is if I'm on stage lip. I like the combination of cards and spaced omnis up there. Never understood tapers that run >4 ch outside of the context of just doing mic shootouts/comparisons

I understand.
The way I usually run the three is one set is omni, one is cardioid and then the iPhone which I listen to the least, but I have the phone on me, so sticking a mic in the lightning port takes 5 seconds and it's a good "if all else fails" backup.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2022, 04:56:12 PM »
One good one. Rarely disappointed.

Occasionally get a SBD as well and that is nice to mix in and support the vocals and instruments.

I was just talking about this last night - I have a second set of mics I could run, but to be honest, I don't want to carry that much gear. I may cut down to actives > baby nbox > sony A10 and that's it, open or low profile. Only pull out other gear when I'm getting a board and want to run 4 channels.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2022, 05:07:52 PM »
One good one. Rarely disappointed.

Occasionally get a SBD as well and that is nice to mix in and support the vocals and instruments.

I was just talking about this last night - I have a second set of mics I could run, but to be honest, I don't want to carry that much gear. I may cut down to actives > baby nbox > sony A10 and that's it, open or low profile. Only pull out other gear when I'm getting a board and want to run 4 channels.

This, pretty much. I'm recording something in a couple of hours and am bringing two sets of gear, but that's mostly because it's a venue that I've never been to, so I have no idea if cards or omnis will come out best.

I topped out once and only once at three recorders, and that was only because I had new mics I wanted to run a comparison on.

Online fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2022, 05:08:32 PM »
8 channels for open taping, plus 6 channels of backups using the outs on DR-680.
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2022, 05:13:04 PM »
Nearly always 4 channels.  I don't always use them both in the final mix unless I am hell bent on visually aligning phase.  When I do, its not much of an issue.  One pair is always sub- or open card in NOS.  The other set varies from DIN to DINa, card to supercard.  I figure, if I am headed in I'll take 4 channels.  Spread omnis is one thing I have never explored.  Only have Line OM1 and not sure if they would be good for that.

What the OP mentions is great and sorta inspiring.  I have 4 sets of AT853, sets of various caps and 4  >:D decks.  Wonder if I can get my gf to wear a pair (lol) for Neko Case in Feb... hmm....

edit: I have AT853 omnis and a bar, just never used them.  I just ordered a 4 chan AT853 bar (DIN and NOS) from Scott.  Planning on running AT853 locally through the winter while I sell a lot of what I don't use to help fund an active Gefell M21 setup.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 05:38:51 PM by Twenty8 »
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2022, 07:42:49 PM »
If it's open taping and I'm learning new gear, I'll bring a 2nd set of mics for the fun of it. In those instances, 4 mics and stereo sbd feed. Sometimes I'll be surprised and what I expected to be my throw-away recording ends up being my preferred mic capture for my matrix.

At a recent gig for some musicians I adore, they let me set-up on stage and I had two cards ortf style facing the musicians, and some haphazardly oriented mics pointed toward the crowd, with a mono board feed. The previous night, there was a crowd sing-along moment and I thought it would be nice to capture that and mix it in. Still haven't settled on that mix and whether or not I want to mix the audience-facing mics in more songs than just that one. It adds some fullness to the sound.

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2022, 08:56:30 PM »
If it's open taping and I'm learning new gear, I'll bring a 2nd set of mics for the fun of it. In those instances, 4 mics and stereo sbd feed. Sometimes I'll be surprised and what I expected to be my throw-away recording ends up being my preferred mic capture for my matrix.

At a recent gig for some musicians I adore, they let me set-up on stage and I had two cards ortf style facing the musicians, and some haphazardly oriented mics pointed toward the crowd, with a mono board feed. The previous night, there was a crowd sing-along moment and I thought it would be nice to capture that and mix it in. Still haven't settled on that mix and whether or not I want to mix the audience-facing mics in more songs than just that one. It adds some fullness to the sound.

It's true about being surprised by a different setup's recording. I used a set of Sony mics as a secondary set to the AT's and absolutely fell in love with them. Now I prefer the Sony's over the AT's.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2022, 11:13:49 PM »
Only one.  Have run a second rig  >:D a few times but it's a geadache.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com