Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stealth DPA 4061's -- What batt & pre setup?  (Read 6598 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Stealth DPA 4061's -- What batt & pre setup?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2023, 08:28:58 PM »
Just a quick note to say that Church Audio would be my last choice on the list, as they have a long and checkered history here of being unreliable. Many of us have had personal experiences with them that I don't want to stir up here. I just want SMsound to get what they order in a reasonable amount of time.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline marcb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2023, 10:13:22 AM »
Any reason to recommend against 4060 or 4061 XLR directly into Zoom F6 or F3? Seems small enough for most low profile applications without the complexity of various cable and recorder configurations, and no concerns around power? F3 would seem cost competitive with alternatives and F6 gives versatility for multiple mic configurations?

Offline voltronic

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2023, 10:57:34 AM »
Any reason to recommend against 4060 or 4061 XLR directly into Zoom F6 or F3? Seems small enough for most low profile applications without the complexity of various cable and recorder configurations, and no concerns around power? F3 would seem cost competitive with alternatives and F6 gives versatility for multiple mic configurations?

As someone who has owned and/or used all those things, I think that would be your highest-quality option with the least amount of external powering devices and adapters.

The F6 is not suitable for stealth on your person; the F3 is.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2023, 03:32:40 PM »

For myself, I agree, but you would be shocked at the size of the gear that some can stealth! I know someone who regularly stealths with a pair of full-sized Neumann SDCs and a MixPre-10. Sometimes with an external pre. The force is strong in some tapers...

Offline voltronic

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2023, 10:26:52 PM »

For myself, I agree, but you would be shocked at the size of the gear that some can stealth! I know someone who regularly stealths with a pair of full-sized Neumann SDCs and a MixPre-10. Sometimes with an external pre. The force is strong in some tapers...

Damn! Is your friend a ninja?
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2023, 06:16:54 AM »
^ A lot of these guys are! Some of the people that frequent this board stealth more gear than I bring for an open taping show...

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2023, 01:27:02 PM »
You'd be surprised how easy it is to get the gear in.  It's mostly about not getting caught acting suspicious once the show is underway.
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline zeus163

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2023, 07:19:33 AM »
Yes that's what you want into A10 or an equivalent 1/8"TRS input recorder. The mics will run on 5 to 9V. A standard 9V battery under load generally measures around 8V.

Here are three suppliers of which I'm aware that offer battery boxes and low power preamps commonly used my TS members (alphabetical order) :
Church Audio
Core Sound (a DPA dealer that can also supply the microphones, either with or without an integrated battery box)
Sound Professionals

Naiant used to make a small rechargeable battery box called PIPsqueek and some other products that would work for this but does not any more.

Just to make sure I'm understanding this, a 9V battery box from either Church Audio or Sound Professionals would be acceptable to use with DPA 4061's? Would the 9V be acceptable for DPA 4081's? I may have a chance to pick up the 4081's and eventually an MMA. I heard a 12V battery box from Sound Professionals wouldn't be good for the 4081's.

Thanks.
Kangol wearing fool...

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2023, 09:27:09 AM »
Yes, a standard 2-wire 9V battery box is capable of powering any DPA miniature microphone.

..And can also power any full-size DPA microphone capsule when mounted on a MMP-GR/GS amplifier which features a microdot output rather than on a standard balanced-output amplifier body.

It is only the legacy DPA full-sized microphones that have the capsule and amplifier permanently integrated with each other that are unable to be powered in this way.  Those will always require phantom power over a balanced connection.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline zeus163

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2023, 07:52:20 AM »
Yes, a standard 2-wire 9V battery box is capable of powering any DPA miniature microphone.

..And can also power any full-size DPA microphone capsule when mounted on a MMP-GR/GS amplifier which features a microdot output rather than on a standard balanced-output amplifier body.

It is only the legacy DPA full-sized microphones that have the capsule and amplifier permanently integrated with each other that are unable to be powered in this way.  Those will always require phantom power over a balanced connection.

Thanks! That's good to know.
Kangol wearing fool...

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2023, 09:39:30 AM »
I use a CA 9200 or CA UBB and have had no problems.  Also I use the rechargeable 9v batteries that I think put out less than 9v even when fully charged (to the point above about using a full 9v).

I won't go so far as to say don't order from CA at all, but definitely do your research and make an informed decision before doing so. 
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com