Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Back Up Your Stuff! 3 instances of every file makes me sleep better!  (Read 10936 times)

Offline daze

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Back Up Your Stuff! 3 instances of every file makes me sleep better!
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2023, 08:49:32 AM »
I have my files backed up in multiple places, but I've been meeting for quite a while to get a Blu-ray burner as an extra backup source. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best Blu-ray burner for this purpose?  Thanks

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2023, 10:26:37 AM »
I have my recordings on my internal hard drives, in RAID on my NAS server, and backed up in a cloud storage system (iDrive). Sometimes I will back things up to my workstation at the office, as well (please don't tell the boss). A little paranoid, perhaps, but experience is a harsh master: when my son was about 6 or 8 months old, our hard drive crashed with all of the baby photos (including sonograms). My wife was crushed. Luckily, I had a colleague who was a real computer guru and he helped me recover everything. Learned my lesson, though...

How do you like idrive? I've been using it for years...seems like it does what it's supposed to. However, finding files / searching, accessing files seems to be a real chore. Also wish it was easier to host/disseminate recordings - but I suppose that's not really what it's set up to do.

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2023, 10:38:35 AM »
I have my recordings on my internal hard drives, in RAID on my NAS server, and backed up in a cloud storage system (iDrive). Sometimes I will back things up to my workstation at the office, as well (please don't tell the boss). A little paranoid, perhaps, but experience is a harsh master: when my son was about 6 or 8 months old, our hard drive crashed with all of the baby photos (including sonograms). My wife was crushed. Luckily, I had a colleague who was a real computer guru and he helped me recover everything. Learned my lesson, though...

How do you like idrive? I've been using it for years...seems like it does what it's supposed to. However, finding files / searching, accessing files seems to be a real chore. Also wish it was easier to host/disseminate recordings - but I suppose that's not really what it's set up to do.

It took me a while to figure it out, but I can (now) send download links to anything on my NAS and folks can download straight from there.  It all goes through my home internet, but I have good internet and I know people have downloaded 35GB files in a matter of a few hours.  So, it seems to be working well; at least when there are only one or two downloaders.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2023, 11:36:12 AM »

I really like it. It's relatively cheap, encrypted, and the web interface allows you to access your files from anywhere. My subscription allows up to five devices, so I backup my desktop hard drive, parts of the NAS, my laptop and my wife's laptop. Easy to schedule backups (I do it every night). Indeed, not the best for hosting on a large scale, but it works pretty well for sharing with a few people. Also, I just got a new laptop and it was easy to transfer all of the files from my old one.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2023, 09:02:07 PM »
I have my files backed up in multiple places, but I've been meeting for quite a while to get a Blu-ray burner as an extra backup source. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best Blu-ray burner for this purpose?  Thanks

Internal SATA or external USB?

I like LG and Pioneer drives. Get whatever latest 16x drive has the best reviews. Internal drives from either brand should be under $100.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2023, 08:03:57 AM »
One other thing I'll mention about the blu-ray disc backups - blu-ray is pretty much a dying technology.  It'll still be a while before they're completely gone, but finding deals on media is getting harder and harder.  So, if you see a good deal on spindles of discs, buy a bunch of them.

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline voltronic

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2023, 10:29:57 AM »
One other thing I'll mention about the blu-ray disc backups - blu-ray is pretty much a dying technology.  It'll still be a while before they're completely gone, but finding deals on media is getting harder and harder.  So, if you see a good deal on spindles of discs, buy a bunch of them.

Prices are a little higher than they used to be, but what makes you say it's a "dying technology"? Maybe it will be superceded by a new optical disc format, but I don't think optical storage is going away anytime soon. The new drives will likely maintain compatibility with the older disc formats.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline daze

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2023, 12:39:51 PM »

Internal SATA or external USB?

I like LG and Pioneer drives. Get whatever latest 16x drive has the best reviews. Internal drives from either brand should be under $100.

Thanks!  I was thinking of maybe an external because my desktop is getting pretty old. But I'll search around and see what's out there, at some point soon I'll probably need a new desktop and laptop anyways.

Offline moondust.and.solitude

• Taperssection Regular
  • Holding hands singing kumbaya
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2023, 10:18:57 AM »
Prices are a little higher than they used to be, but what makes you say it's a "dying technology"? Maybe it will be superceded by a new optical disc format, but I don't think optical storage is going away anytime soon. The new drives will likely maintain compatibility with the older disc formats.

Again, I agree completely with Voltronic. Optical storage isn't going to be dead anytime soon. The newest versions of BD-R is a 1TB optical media from Folio Photonics, and 200-250GB BD-R's as well. This medium is changing, but not going away.
Mics: Lewitt LCT-040; Naiant X-X Omni's; Audio Technica U853AW's; Sony ECM-166BMP's; Audio Technica AT-853's.
Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Cables; Canare Custom Cables, UniStar LilRed Whip.
Recorders: Tascam DR-100mkIII; Tascam DR-05x, Tascam PortaCapture X8, Sony PCM-A10.
Misc: Samsung EVO Plus 128GB SDXC Cards.
RayoVac Fusion Batteries.

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2023, 06:21:21 PM »

Again, I agree completely with Voltronic. Optical storage isn't going to be dead anytime soon. The newest versions of BD-R is a 1TB optical media from Folio Photonics, and 200-250GB BD-R's as well. This medium is changing, but not going away.

I wasn't entirely clear in that post.

The portion of the post to which I replied was referring to single-layer (25GB) blu-ray discs:

I'm a fan of BD-R backups as well. I have over 460 BD-R's (a little over 10TB of DATA)

Those 25GB blu-ray discs are the dying part of blu-ray tech to which I was referring.  Quite a few companies have already stopped making them (Taiyo Yuden in 2015 and more recently Panasonic stopped this month).

edit: a word
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 09:08:16 AM by guitard »

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2023, 12:25:53 PM »
I still burn CDRs for friends.  I recently purchased two boxes of them.  2/3rds of them are bad disks. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2023, 04:26:15 PM »
I still burn CDRs for friends.  I recently purchased two boxes of them.  2/3rds of them are bad disks.
AWFUL!
Care to name and shame the brands, perhaps save some of the rest of us that hassle?

By the way I just received a shipment of blank BD-R from B&H photo. Happy to see they are all HTL discs.

The PlexDisc logo top resolve as
RITEK CORPORATION  RITEK  BR3  1-6X  HTL  25GB  (12cm)

and the Verbatim, for about twice the price per disc, show as
CMC Magnetics Corporation  VERBAT  IMe  1-6X  HTL  25GB (12cm)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 04:28:21 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline voltronic

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2023, 08:22:17 PM »
I know that some of the old reliable disc manufacturers, namely Taiyo Yuden, have moved their production facilities and their newer stuff is lower quality.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline GLouie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2023, 10:44:35 PM »
It is not getting any easier to deal with optical media as time goes on.
I also still have to do quite a bit of audio CD-R burning, both for long term university library archiving, plus the Luddites. This wouldn't bother me so much, as I have been doing this for a long time and have procedures in place, but now the media is a moving target as it seems to approach end of life.

After much testing decades ago, we settled on MAM gold for archival with very good error rates and Taiyo Yuden for absolute lowest error rate. We looked for a sweet spot of speed and low errors for each drive we used. We test every burned archival disc with Plextools (and a Clover before that) and reject any with C2 errors. We seldom had a bad disc of either, but the MAMs consistently had a slightly higher error rate than T-Y, which always had an amazingly low error rate.

Then in 2015, T-Y, which had previously been acquired by JVC, announced it was abandoning the market completely and CMC was buying their technology. Here's a press release:

CMC Magnetics purchases Taiyo Yuden Technology

We are happy to announce that late last summer CMC Magnetics purchased the technology and manufacturing license for Taiyo Yuden optical media products.

This past June, JVC/Taiyo Yuden made the announcement that it would be stopping production of all optical media products at the end of 2015 and making a complete withdrawal from the market. JVC/TY's withdrawal left a huge void in the professional media market and CMC quickly seized the opportunity to purchase the technology to meet that need. CMC has committed to produce all current JVC skus and maintain the unmatched quality and consistency the professional market demands. With the help of Taiyo Yuden engineers, CMC has built dedicated production lines using the exact same processes, raw materials and strict quality control measures to ensure the TY quality is maintained.

The CMC made products will be branded as "CMC Pro" and all cartons will be labeled "Powered by TY Technology". Part numbers for the CMC Pro products will be very similar to the existing JVC part numbers. All current JVC part numbers start with "J" and the new skus will be exactly the same except they will start with "T".

Example:
JVC Sku - JCDR-ZZ-SB
CMC Pro Sku - TCDR-ZZ-SB

We bought the CMC version when we reordered, and while they are pretty good, the errors were consistently higher. I will continue to use these until shown a better alternative. If they use the same T-Y formula, it should last well - I have a "That's" branded T-Y burned in 1993 IIRC, and Plextools shows it to still be good. All MAMs we've tested that are about 25 years old also test fine.

Now I've run out of MAM golds, and I discovered the entire production has been acquired by what appears to be a duplication firm in Chattanooga TN, WTSMedia.com. Their T-Y rep, Lora, emailed me:

CMC Magnetics purchased the Verbatim brand name in 2019, and they also purchased the rights to use the Taiyo Yuden disc technology in 2015.
MAM-A was formerly Mitsui Advanced Media America, when the 3 Japanese companies had direct ownership.  Verbatim was started by Mitsubishi. It's been an interesting industry.

I tried buying "gold" Verbatim archive CD-Rs from B&H, and found that the first couple of dozen all had C2 errors (some say these are still correctable, but others say still no good. I feel that we never used to have these, so why accept them now). And they are not cheap. These say Made in UAE, as I believe Falcon media is.

Gary Galo published some 2022 tests of CD-R and DVD-R media on ARSClist, and found that Falcon was pretty good. I'm not sure if it's cool to pass on his PDFs here.

Sorry for the length, maybe ripe for a new thread.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2023, 11:17:33 PM »
If we're gonna make a thread about BD-R, let's file it under Recording Media!
https://taperssection.com/index.php?board=59.0

> If they use the same T-Y formula, it should last well - I have a "That's" branded T-Y burned in 1993 IIRC, and Plextools shows it to still be good.
That disc probably cost $50 or more for the blank!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com