Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording SBD using Zoom H2  (Read 11975 times)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Recording SBD using Zoom H2
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2023, 02:13:54 PM »
Why did my posts disappear?
Does this board have a bug, or was there a hiccup?

I use a system of three cables and one double-RCA barrel connector
The cable that is used in each configuration is the RCA male pair > Mini cable. This one goes right into the RCA outputs of the board if they are available.
If RCA is not available I have two sets of cables which terminate in male RCA:
XLR-F > RCA male pair
1/4" male  > RCA male pair

Those plus the barrel connector get me from XLR, 1/4" or RCA right into mini.

For an attenuator, I'd suggest one that's mini female to mini male, like the Core Sound -11dB that worked well for me on the H2.

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
    • http://www.midwestsoundsrecordings.com/
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2023, 02:20:26 PM »
Sure, that recorder will accept a +4dBu line level output without external attenuation.

If feeding the board feed into the channel 3/4 1/8" jack, I find I generally need 10-15 dB attenuation. I've got plenty of nice matrixes, but always with attenuation on the SBD on channel 3/4 and mics on 1/2.

With XLR am I ok without attenuation?
AUD: Zoom H2
SBD: Tascam DR-60D

Make the best out of the equipment you have, something is better than nothing!

Midwest Sounds Recordings
North Country Sounds

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2023, 02:21:56 PM »
Why did my posts disappear?
Does this board have a bug, or was there a hiccup?

I use a system of three cables and one double-RCA barrel connector
The cable that is used in each configuration is the RCA male pair > Mini cable. This one goes right into the RCA outputs of the board if they are available.
If RCA is not available I have two sets of cables which terminate in male RCA:
XLR-F > RCA male pair
1/4" male  > RCA male pair

Those plus the barrel connector get me from XLR, 1/4" or RCA right into mini.

For an attenuator, I'd suggest one that's mini female to mini male, like the Core Sound -11dB that worked well for me on the H2.

That might be a better option for me as it would allow me to use my existing equipment with a smaller setup. I'll look in to this, thanks.

North Country Sounds

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2023, 02:45:26 PM »
Sure, that recorder will accept a +4dBu line level output without external attenuation.

If feeding the board feed into the channel 3/4 1/8" jack, I find I generally need 10-15 dB attenuation. I've got plenty of nice matrixes, but always with attenuation on the SBD on channel 3/4 and mics on 1/2.

Should be.  I've not used that recorder myself, only checked specifications which state that the XLR inputs are capable of accepting a +4dBu line level signal.  Vanark has hands on use of that deck, so he's a much better authority on it.  It is capable of recording four channels of input.

My take is that no attenuators should be needed for a board patch into the XLR inputs (chs 1&2), but sounds like attenuators are needed if routing the board feed into the stereo mini-plug input (ch's 3&4), if your mics are feeding the XLR inputs. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline morst

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2023, 03:15:41 PM »
It's not so much about the connector type as it is whether the output signal is adjustable for you.

The Zoom H2 is terribly limited in its capacity to accept voltage on the line input, compared to every other recorder I have ever used.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2023, 03:35:33 PM »
Specifically what you want is an input capable of accepting a professional line level signal (typically +4dBu, max), regardless of connector type.

Many/most recorders will require you to switch between mic-level and line-level input sensitivities for inputs capable of either range.  So you probably need to do that. But not all can accept a line level signal as hot as that without overloading.  So to be safe, check the specs.  Also make sure you switch off phantom powering to those inputs when using them to record a SBD feed. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2023, 10:34:28 PM »
1/4" headphone to 1/8" headphone is a useful addition to the 3 output solutions listed above
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline morst

« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2023, 03:56:32 PM »
1/4" headphone to 1/8" headphone is a useful addition to the 3 output solutions listed above
yes, for the least reliable feed, the interruptible headphone output!
If a channel's SOLO button is pressed, most boards will route (all) SOLOed channels to the headphone output, overriding the stereo feed.

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2023, 04:13:40 PM »
yes, for the least reliable feed, the interruptible headphone output!
If a channel's SOLO button is pressed, most boards will route (all) SOLOed channels to the headphone output, overriding the stereo feed.
Totally can't tell that this has happened to you, M!
As last resort, rather than no recording, it's a backup I've had to use. Crappy headphone amp circuits make it an ever better choice 😀.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline bonghitwillie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2023, 03:23:29 PM »
i bought radio shack 1/8" mini stereo to 2 rca cables many years ago and cut off the ends and put xlrs on them.

Offline bonghitwillie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2023, 03:48:47 PM »
i also have male 1/8" stereo to 2 rca male and put rca female to 1/4" male adapters on the ends when i have to hook into 1/4" outs. in fact when i would go out expecting a sbd feed, i would bring the 1/8 to xlr, 1/8 to rca and the adapters. that way i have all options. ask the soundman to put your feed at 50% volume.

Offline morst

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2023, 02:15:19 AM »

I miss rat shack!
The last traditional one I went into was closing down and I was all excited to get all the cool stuff at a discount. But the sound pressure meter was only like 10% off, and I have an app for that on my phone. And the weather station was not deeply discounted and I have an app for that on my phone... see where this is going?
The next time I went to a radio shack location, it was a small place that sold mostly phone accessories!
 :-[

i also have male 1/8" stereo to 2 rca male and put rca female to 1/4" male adapters on the ends when i have to hook into 1/4" outs. in fact when i would go out expecting a sbd feed, i would bring the 1/8 to xlr, 1/8 to rca and the adapters. that way i have all options. ask the soundman to put your feed at 50% volume.
I love the ones from Radio Shack, but the ones I got from monoprice fall apart!
I sure would hate to jam up a club's sound board when my 99 cent gold plated plastic crap gets lodged in it at the end of a show!
Here's a nice $17 one from Switchcraft. I would trust them but that seems pretty steep, haha.

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2023, 11:35:36 PM »
Figured I'd use this thread to ask questions instead of starting up a new one. For those following along...I have purchased a Tascam DR-60D, so this will relate to that. I want to record a local musician tomorrow night and she sent me a picture of her SBD, posted below:

The circled ports are the ones she uses for her equipment. So, based on that, I am assuming I would use the 2 far right 1/4" outputs? She told me she uses the board for her mic, and plugs in her guitar into one of those portable standup speakers. I believe the speaker is plugged in to the board, but not 100% sure. If it is, if I use those 2 outputs, will it pick up the vocals and guitar from that, or would I need to use channel 3/4 on the Tascam to plug in to the speaker separately? Sorry I can't be more specific, last time I saw her I hadn't even thought about recording off her SBD, so I will know more tomorrow, but I'm hoping to be as prepared as I can until I can get a better look.

North Country Sounds

Offline morst

« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2023, 05:33:13 PM »
She circled the line Out(s) to send the signal to her amplifier, so you can use the Main Out(s) to go to your recorder.
Note that each has its own separate level control which will make it easy to get levels independently on your recorder, totally apart from her controlling her own speaker system.

Something which might potentially result in a cleaner recording; any control which is not used for some input signal may be turned all the way down. This might prevent needless noise from coming through.

Reading the manual here, it seems you can also record USB direct to a computer, with this as the interface.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SU7ztlrR2FKpiIMOXyzO9LzWBWRyxnCy/view

Offline Dan33185

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2023, 01:54:01 AM »
She circled the line Out(s) to send the signal to her amplifier, so you can use the Main Out(s) to go to your recorder.
Note that each has its own separate level control which will make it easy to get levels independently on your recorder, totally apart from her controlling her own speaker system.

Something which might potentially result in a cleaner recording; any control which is not used for some input signal may be turned all the way down. This might prevent needless noise from coming through.

Reading the manual here, it seems you can also record USB direct to a computer, with this as the interface.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SU7ztlrR2FKpiIMOXyzO9LzWBWRyxnCy/view

Definitely helpful! I recorded the first set and went to listen in between sets and it was nothing but dead air. Thankfully I checked this thread at that point to see if anyone responded and it dawned on me that the "Main Out" volume may be turned off. Turns out it was, she turned it up for the 2nd set and it came through perfectly. Of course, it was just her vocals and the drum box which had a mic plugged in to the SBD as well. So, obviously I need to plug in to the speaker next time to pick up the guitar. Here is the back of the speaker:

So I am assuming I could use the 3/4 channel on the Tascam, which is a 3.5mm connection. It would set up like this: "3.5mm dual splitter connected to two 3.5mm to XLR cables connected to the speaker". According to an earlier post in this thread, using the 3/4 channel may require attenuation, but that was in regards to a mic. Would this also apply to an instrument, and if so, what level would be adequate for the Tascam DR-60D?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 01:58:43 AM by Dan33185 »

North Country Sounds

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com