Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Few questions from the beginner  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Teppka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Few questions from the beginner
« on: May 23, 2023, 02:18:40 AM »
Or maybe more than a few. I’m new to sound recording and have few questions in particular to Sony PCM-D100 and sound recording in general. Asking few of them in D100 thread didn’t get any answers, so I’ll try here. Thanks to anyone for replies.

1. Built in mics Sony PCM-D100 have 3 positions, X/Y, A/B and l l or I’d call parallel. My understanding is X/Y is for smaller sound sources, forward directional. A/B for wider sound sources which should also bring better stereo effect and separation. But what parallel l l position is used for?

2. What would be best mic’s position for ambient sound, cat eating, car engine, music recording, city sounds?

3. For say recording cat eating or grooming, should I better use mono recording than stereo?

4. How to proper set gain for ambient sound recording? I’m trying to avoid post processing at all and enjoy recording itself.

5. For video sync I’ll go with 24bit 48kHz. But for audio only, say ambient sound should I go with higher settings like- 96 kHz/24-bit? My understanding that anything higher is more for pro users like sound designers.

6. Any recommendations for file/folder names for sound recordings?

7. Any useful info from PCM-D100 users regarding usage scenarios for LFC,  LIMITER and S/N 100dB?

Any other valuable suggestions for beginner with portable recorder using built-in mics would help.

Offline Twenty8

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Heading for a better thesis
Re: Few questions from the beginner
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 09:09:53 AM »
1.  Interviews in mono?
2 and 3.  A/B and stereo
4.  Um... someone else can answer this more gently.  I'll just say that recording is just a small amount of what we do.
5.  Either record at 44.1kHz or render/dither to it in post.
6.  Anything you feel will help you with organization if we are not edging toward eTree naming standards.

And finally, there are threads on your deck here at TS.  Our search function is great: search the whole board from the main page or search individual topics by opening them and searching from that topic. 
Most of us don't use internal mics on handhelds.  I have 4 handhelds - never used the internals on any of them even when interviewing.
Open/Closed ~ AT U853 (subc, h, c, o):
Decks ~ MixPre 6ii, A10, M10
Pres ~ 2x Oade mod UA-5 (W+, ACM+)
Also ~ Line Audio CM3/CM4/OM1 : AT3031 : AT831 : DR2D

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 09:32:07 AM »
welcome from me.
1] I would assume a 0 degree angle of incidence with ||. XY would be 90 degrees and AB without looking at the literature, I assume would be 45-60 degrees
2/3] each of these are almost distinct types of sound: ambient sound, cat eating= maybe AB; car engine, music recording= maybe XY (for clarity- remember you are NOT making a super high quality music recording with these internals), city sounds - || maybe
       the true answer to that type question is go out and do it, changing the patterns at specific time intervals(say 5 minutes), marking that down in a notebook, phone notes, and listening later to decide what your ears like best.
4] The self noise on these internals is a bit high to use without some post processing, or at least equalization/tone controls on your playback end. direct answer is: as high as the levels will tolerate for your source. (ie cat eating higher gain than car sounds- this due to the expected peaks to be higher with the latter)
5] not video guy. I generally don't do 96 as that implies large files to store. (or too large for me)
6] nomenclature is key from the start of a collection. Choose your determinants for folders- date, city, time of day, type of scene. I see many soundscape or effects products filenames labeled : church bells at 12 noon, or doors closing- elevator 1.... type thing.
I do not own a D100 but a friend does. He finds it tough for live music situations without external mics.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 08:02:44 PM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline bonghitwillie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2023, 07:39:43 PM »
i use internals all the time. sometimes they sound better than my expensive outboard mics. but i have edirol.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com