Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MBHO ?  (Read 6170 times)

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
Re: MBHO ?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 06:31:45 PM »
Concerning the other active based choices outside of MBHOs

I would also reccomend listening carefully to MBHOs that have been used up front.  I have noticed a slight compression of the highs and mids as the volume increases to very loud levels....at least with the KA200N caps and 648a bodies.  Don't get me wrong, I think they are great mics but go into this informed and you won't be swapping gear out as much.

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 08:46:05 PM »
Concerning the other active based choices outside of MBHOs

I would also reccomend listening carefully to MBHOs that have been used up front.  I have noticed a slight compression of the highs and mids as the volume increases to very loud levels....at least with the KA200N caps and 648a bodies.  Don't get me wrong, I think they are great mics but go into this informed and you won't be swapping gear out as much.

I can't disagree with this...however I will try.... I have some FOB Loud as Shit Widespread From Shawnee Ski Area that are clear as glass freshly cleaned with windex.....So I would say acoustics play a role in it...in otherwords if the pa sounds congested loud so will your discs... there are just so many factors..and my opion is just mine...

The suggestion of peluso is also a good one..I think they are the best bang for the buck out there...I might even pick up a pair myself just to have a different flavor.    Mics are like ice cream there are so many different flavors.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 08:49:32 PM by OtheroneK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 09:25:31 PM »
I had made a great Coldplay tape this year with 648a/KA200N at Fuji Rock that was very FOB.  Some of my best work but we still have to be critical and ask outrselves how it could have been better.  I have to say, the loud passages being compressed could have been an artifact of the Mini-me pre.  I remember the sound being some of the best sound I have heard since I listened to the Grateful Dead (or what I could recall).  So, yes...many factors.

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2006, 12:19:35 AM »
I have had experiences with the MBHO's where there has been compression in the sound.  I was able to isolatee it by switching out my MBHO's with some phantomed 933's and they were fine.  HOWEVER, even with the compression that sometimes occur, they have been my favorite mics i've run ever. 
mics & cameras

Offline beanstalk

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 03:03:45 PM »
Anyone every hear anything from the MBHO MBP 604 N ?

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_mbho_mbp_microphone/index.html
"I don't believe in a lot of things, but i do believe in duct tape."

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2006, 03:42:26 PM »
I think it may be a newish mic. It isn't on their website, but that website has been under construction and incomplete for a long time.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2006, 03:52:36 PM »
I absolutely love my ho's!!!  I don't have hypers but I have cards and omni's.  I love em' both and highly recomend them to anyone.  Yhey are not painfully bright and not compressed in the highs to my ears.  Here is a thread with a link to a head to head from the sweetspot with  km140's both ortf, and both into an r4 so identical pre's

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=54573.0

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline beanstalk

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2006, 07:48:37 AM »
I think it may be a newish mic. It isn't on their website, but that website has been under construction and incomplete for a long time.

The guy that reviewed it, did in May 2005. There website is always messed up for some reason.
"I don't believe in a lot of things, but i do believe in duct tape."

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2006, 10:54:56 AM »
I think "compression" is the wrong term to use when describing the sound of MBHOs at high SPLs. I think the most accurate way to describe it would be midrange smear, the image becomes distorted and the midrange detail goes out the window. It tends to make the mics sound farther from the source than they actually are.

That said, they do make some amazing tapes, especially in acoustic or other low spl situations. I ran them for 2 years and did make some great tapes, but not at really loud rock shows, there are better mics for rock. I do think that the omni cap is somewhat an exception to this rule, it sounds amazing in most outdoor situations I've heard it in. The hypers lack presence and offer the worst characteristics of all the MBHO caps. This is all just my opinion, YMMV.

Offline svenkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2006, 04:42:21 AM »
Ive ran hypers In the back of a theatre, and onstage. I usually run them FOB at indoor clubs. Ive pulled some great onstage tapes, but the best sounds Ive gotten from them come from being about 20-30 ft back and not further. Id like to try the cards though to compare.
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com