Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Disc storage?  (Read 7987 times)

Offline popskull

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Analog....the ultimate sampling frequency
Re: Disc storage?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 09:37:37 PM »
I use this: http://www.memorex.com/html/products_detail.php?section=2&CID=7&SID=22&PID=1217&FID=98&opento=7
and these for storage right now: http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p1_Ideastream-Snap-N-Store-trade-Disc-Storage-Boxes-Black_151501_Business_Supplies_10051_SEARCH

The storage boxes are kinda cheap looking but work well so I don't really display them but they are great to hold all the psychical  back-up discs. They will hold approx. 200 cd's in slipcases about 40 more than the info states.

I have been satisfied with this solution so far and pretty inexpensive.

I use a similar system , only with Ikea Kassett CD boxes and poly sleeves from amdig with tabbed dividers like an old school library card catalog system and sit them on IVAR shelfs, so its easy to get at a specific band or year

Offline Əkoostikal

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 01:41:14 PM »

I use a similar system , only with Ikea Kassett CD boxes and poly sleeves from amdig with tabbed dividers like an old school library card catalog system and sit them on IVAR shelfs, so its easy to get at a specific band or year

Those boxes you are using like a little nice than mine. I never thought to look at Ikea, how much do those run $?

The sleeves I use are the Poly ones also, hard to tell by that pic. I found the paper ones a little to cheap feeling for me and those Poly sleeves are tanks. I like the see thru factor so I can put a near full size cover in there If I want. The memorex ones are hard to find though, I found them at Wall-wort 1 time and grabbed them but since have searched high and low with no success but were able to find them online.
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

Offline polewka

• Taperssection Regular
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 01:00:06 PM »
I shopped around online for somewhere to store my 6,000+ CD's and DVD's. All these storage solutions seemed a fortune to me. I approached a cabinate maker at a local market and he turned in top notch, designed to my specification (he even came over to look and see what wall space I had to work with) series of 3 cabinets. I got storage in 6 foot high cabinets made of high quality pine and waxed for £300. Holds about 3,000 CD's.

I'm reluctant to throw away the jewel cases, I like looking at the booklets whilst listening to the discs and think the jewels prevent creasing.

Worth shopping around locally IMO. If you know what you want, then someone with the joinery skills I'm sure can knock something together for a fraction of the price. I costed similar to mine at over £1,500 online.

Would post some pics, but ain't no time just now.

I'm about to move in with my g/f and selling my house. I'm thinking that my room in my house that is devoted solely to music will never be repeated in any new pad, but I do live in hope. Bah !
Mics: AT853's (Cards), CA-14's (Cards)
Battery Boxes: SP-SPSB-6, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Sony PCM-M10
Camera: Panasonic Lumix TZ-7

Offline popskull

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 04:56:02 PM »

Those boxes you are using like a little nice than mine. I never thought to look at Ikea, how much do those run $?

The sleeves I use are the Poly ones also, hard to tell by that pic. I found the paper ones a little to cheap feeling for me and those Poly sleeves are tanks. I like the see thru factor so I can put a near full size cover in there If I want. The memorex ones are hard to find though, I found them at Wall-wort 1 time and grabbed them but since have searched high and low with no success but were able to find them online.

They list for $7 for 2

Offline RDunn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 09:38:07 AM »
My solution was to get a bigger house ;)  Then lots of wood, a few power tools and a few boxes of nails and/or screws.
Schoeps MK4 > KC5 > CMC6 > Sound Devices 744T

Offline Əkoostikal

• Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 01:35:27 PM »
My solution was to get a bigger house ;)  Then lots of wood, a few power tools and a few boxes of nails and/or screws.

WOW!  :o Nice collection!

is that a "Shine On" set in the lower left of the first pic.?
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

Offline popskull

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 09:16:14 PM »

Nice wall mount on the turntable +T for the sharing the DIY effort

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 09:26:45 PM »
Robbie definitely has a disease... :P

Offline RDunn

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 11:59:28 PM »
To answer 3 questions at once...

1) Yes, that is the "Shine On" box... good eyes for catching it.

2) Gotta have the wall mount for the Linn Sondek.  It's made by Sound Organization and does a great job.  It's a metal frame and the table sits on a board that rests on 4 adjustable spikes.

3) And I definitely have "the disease".  My wife keeps saying "you need to get rid of some of your music and quit getting more."  For some reason I don't like EITHER of those options.

It's an obsession but it's pleasing!

Offline RDunn

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 12:00:54 AM »
Almost forgot... there's a cabinet in a closet with over 1500 DAT tapes.  They used to be on the top of the CD wall, but since I ran out of space, I put the DATs in a closet.

RD

Offline Taper1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 01:16:06 AM »
i still resort to spindles when my binders are full.

< lazy

stevetoney

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2008, 02:21:38 AM »
I used the same option as RDunn, but I didn't worry about looks and went completely low cost and DIY since I store everything downstairs in my cool and fairly dry basement family room. 

Lay it out on a piece of paper, figure out how many board feet you need and make a trip to home depot is all that's needed.  Each one of my units is 4 feet wide and either 6 or 8 feet tall.  I put supports in the middle of each shelf space for structural support and to keep the 1x6s from warping too much over time.  The height of each shelf is exactly the height of a jewel case (whether it's a CD jewel case or a DVD case) plus maybe an extra half inch.  I think I've made 5 of them now, but every time I need another, I just add another.  Each takes about an hour to make...and maybe about $20 to $30 in materials.  A couple of 'ell' brackets with wall anchors are needed to stabilize each unit against the wall. 

In combo with this, I spindle all my CDRs.  However, I'm planning soon on archiving electronically via external harddrives.  Same with DVDs, although these aren't spindled.  For people that say hard drive failure is the problem, the answer is to backup in two or more places.  At between $100 and $200 per TB, I can afford to keep it all on multiple drives in case of failure of one the hard drives.  When one craps out, buy a new one and backup again.  Keep that process going until technology develops even better options.

On a related note, one of my favorite investments I've made over the past several years though is my 160GB ipod.  It's not so much the ipod, which I do love, but having 160GB of storage space in my pocket opens up my entire music collection to me.  Whereas in the past, I wouldn't care to take alot of my old CDs off the shelf in order to listen in the car or...say...in my portable CD player (since there was always something NEW that I'd recently bought to listen to), now the ipod has it all stored.  I literally have everything I ever wanted to listen to from birth to today with me wherever I go.  The key is 160GB of space, which gives me enough to keep, in practical terms, everything I ever wanted to hear in my pocket.  Can't live without it and it goes with me EVERYWHERE, including to the toilet!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com