Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H4  (Read 64568 times)

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Zoom H4
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2006, 01:00:29 PM »
I really wish I had super nerd brain power - I'd totally build a bit bucket and make millions selling it to v3 owners.

maybe we should all email grace and beg for v3 update that has a cf drive in it.

o I hear ya..  Ive borrowed a MT2496 and while it does "work", it is just too quirky for my liking.   While many will tell you it is "stable", I bet they would move onto something like an R1 if it had a digi in.   I hear you on the V3 bit bucket, as Id love to have something as reliable as my dap1 without having to spend 1500+(hpd2,pmd671 w. batts and media) on a "bit bucket"..   It is verrrrrrrrrrrry tempting to pick up a sd722 to run line into from my v2 (sell the v3 and put money towards 722), but one of these days the perfect bit bucket will come out and ill smack myself in the head for selling my v3 (which I like very much)..  one day..   I hope..

yeah.. we all want the V4 from grace..   a v3 with a CF slot..  that would be sweeet.. 
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2006, 01:05:42 PM »
I'd call the mt semi-stable, but its still frustrating when one of its little quirks come into play when the lights go down and the show starts.  Sure, I always manage to fix it, but not until half way thru the first song.  I'm about ready to give up on it.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline djrobin

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Zoom H4 - How Can I Connect My Mic?
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2006, 09:02:48 PM »
I'm very interested in the H4 and would like suggestions on how to adapt my mic to use with it.  I have an AKG 822 that has a stereo mini plug but the H4 doesn't have a mini plug mic input.

Suggestions????

Thanks,
David

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
Re: Zoom H4 - How Can I Connect My Mic?
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2006, 09:40:59 PM »
I'm very interested in the H4 and would like suggestions on how to adapt my mic to use with it.  I have an AKG 822 that has a stereo mini plug but the H4 doesn't have a mini plug mic input.

Suggestions????

Thanks,
David

Do you mean AT822?  If so it should have come with an XLR > dual 1/4" mono cable as well.  I can probably sell you mine cheap if you don't already have one.

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2006, 03:36:08 PM »

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2006, 11:55:14 AM »
I got to play with one last weekend at the Podcast Expo in Ontario, CA and I have to say this thing is sweet! I'm supposed to get one this week or next for evaluation and will report back when I do.

Craig
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Offline vegas06

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2006, 12:02:48 PM »
I got to play with one last weekend at the Podcast Expo in Ontario, CA and I have to say this thing is sweet! I'm supposed to get one this week or next for evaluation and will report back when I do.

Craig
I should have mine sometime next week for review as well.  As Sweetwaters first shipment is in transit from the manufacturer.

BTW Craig, how was the build on it? 
I have heard that the build on Zooms products are cheaply made.
It looks solid from the pictures.

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2006, 12:11:57 PM »

Craig
I should have mine sometime next week for review as well.  As Sweetwaters first shipment is in transit from the manufacturer.

BTW Craig, how was the build on it? 
I have heard that the build on Zooms products are cheaply made.
It looks solid from the pictures.
The build seemed solid (a lot more solid than the MT), although the units I played with were final prototypes. I've had no problems with the build on other Zoom products I've owned. When I spoke with the reps on Friday they said the first shipment was on its way from China (?) and would be in retailers this week.

Craig
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2006, 12:29:33 PM »
Craig,

Did you listen to the Pre on it, when you played with it at the show?  How does it sound?

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
    • My Ugly Page In Need Of A Huge Makeover
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2006, 01:14:43 PM »
What kind of battery life can you get on it?  Seeing that it uses 2 AA batteries is no biggie since it probably uses very little power, but if you use your own mics and the 48v phantom power 2 little AA's seem like they wouldn't last very long at all.
Big Rig:  SMK-H8K/U or MSH-1O > PS-2 > AD-20 > CJB3
Sm Rig:  SS DSM-6S (or SP-CMC-12 > SPBM-2)  > MD-MT77
ISO: Cheap iRiver 120 or 140 :)

Offline vegas06

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2006, 03:24:03 PM »
Just an update on my H4 order from sweetwater.com.

It seems that they got their first shipment of H4's in today, and have processed most of the pre-orders (not all).  Luckily it seems that I was one of the first pre-orders placed they charged my card), and I should  be receiving mine in teh coming week.

Cool, can't wait to try it out against my R-09 and Microtrack.  :D

"Correction on my post... As my H4 is beinmg shipped to me as I write this."  ;D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 04:16:40 PM by vegas06 »

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2006, 04:48:11 PM »
Did you listen to the Pre on it, when you played with it at the show?  How does it sound?
There was too much background noise around the booth to be able to test the pres, but I've been told by two people independently at Samson that they're really happy with them. Time will tell.

As for battery life, the company is claiming up to 4 hours which I assume is with the internal mics. Figure on cutting that in half for an external mic with phantom power, so you're probably going to want to use this with an external battery pack.

I can tell you that there wasn't a single podcaster I spoke with who saw this that didn't want one!

UPDATE: Mine's on its way as well.

Craig
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 04:04:46 PM by cpatch »

Offline MattH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2006, 09:37:23 PM »
I am missing something or does this recorder not have a line in switch. I need line in for any recorder I would buy.
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2006, 02:36:07 AM »
I am missing something or does this recorder not have a line in switch. I need line in for any recorder I would buy.
Each input (as well as the built-in mics) has its own Lo/Mid/Hi-Gain switch. Set Input 1 and Input 2 to Lo-Gain and use the 1/4" inputs for line in (according to the brochure).

Also, I'm not sure if I've seen this anywhere else but it comes with a tripod adapter and wind screen. It also has internal mic modeling for an SM57, MD421, U87, and C414 (for use with the built-in mics only of course). Phantom power is switchable between 24V and 48V. The AC adapter is 9V, interestingly enough.

Craig
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 03:54:30 PM by cpatch »

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2006, 01:45:55 PM »
I saw one today at my local Sam Ash.  Very tempting, but did not pull the trigger.  The sales guy said they just got them yesterday.

Pat
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com