Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H4  (Read 64571 times)

Offline whatboutbob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
Re: Zoom H4
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2006, 03:18:30 PM »
As with everyone else I'm sure, I am very curious to hear how the pre sounds on this.  Also wonder how much gain they offer.

edit: ergh...ok...i'm rtfm now (sorry...didn't see the link to it previously).  The 2GB limit is a pita. I guess that rules out 24/96 for my/most of our purposes...but 24/48 may be doable.

To whoever was asking about the hold-switch:

The H4 allows you to lock the operation keys to prevent inadvertent operation during a recording.This function is called “key-hold”. To enable or disable the function, proceed as follows

1. Set the H4 to the playback or recording condition. Once key-hold has been enabled, most keypresses will be disregarded. This allows you to maintain the current operating condition of the unit.

2. Press and hold the center of the [MENU] key until the indication “Key Hold” appears on the display.The key-hold function is enabled and all control operations will be disregarded, except for the [POWER] switch, [MIC GAIN] switch, [INPUT 1 GAIN] switch, [INPUT 2 GAIN] switch, [PHONES LEVEL] and the center of the [MENU] key.
When a disabled control is operated, the indication shown below appears on the display for 2 seconds.

Eesh...so it looks like those switches down the right aren't locked.  I hope they are...err...'embedded' well.

It sounds like gain is adjustable in 127 steps (100 is 'unity'?) - but its buried in a menu and looks like it is clunky to adjust.  Seems ass-backwards to have H/M/L-Z adjustable at the flick of a switch but gain buried. *shrug*

So it looks ilke this thing's not firmware upgradeable eh?  I hope its perfect outta the box (not holding my breath).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 04:33:49 PM by whatboutbob »
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline cpatch

• Taperssection Member
  • I STOP FOR CAFFEINE
    • The GodCast Network
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2006, 03:31:34 PM »
As with everyone else I'm sure, I am very curious to hear how the pre sounds on this.  Also wonder how much gain they offer.
The manual is now online:

http://www.samsontech.com/products/relatedDocs/H4_manual.pdf

Craig
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 03:36:03 PM by cpatch »
Home (Podcasting): AT4040,NT-1A > Symetrix 528e > dbx 1066 > Mackie 1202-VLZ-PRO > 24" Intel iMac
Field (Podcasting/Taping): AT853RX,LSD2,MD46 > Bus PMD660/H4
$100 Super Stealth: Giant Squid Stereo Omnis > iRiver iFP-795

Offline lokie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2006, 11:44:10 AM »
Just got mine delivered to work! Seems sturdy enough but I won't get a real chance to check it out until I get home this evening. I'm excited though!

Offline vegas06

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2006, 11:50:49 AM »
Just got mine delivered to work! Seems sturdy enough but I won't get a real chance to check it out until I get home this evening. I'm excited though!

I am stoked, as I just got mine at work to!
I just received my NEW Zoom H4 Handy Recorder, and I'm impressed with the units build quality, as it's more substantial than my Microtrack and Edirol R-09 recorder.
It's slightly larger than my R-09 and slightly larger than my Microtrack.
The body feels solidly built as do the built in X/Y stereo mics.  It comes with a tripod adapter than attaches to teh recorder via velcro loops, which is nice, and also comes with a wind muff, which looks funny covering the mics, but again it's nice to have.

As far as I can tell you won't be able to use a lav mic with this, unless you get one that utilizes either XLR or 1/4 plug input.  That's ok as the unit is a bit large anyway to use for lav miccing use.  I'd stick with my R-09 if necessary.  However for everything else live event audio rerlated it should work great.

I am at work right now so I don't have access to batteries to try it out, but hope to use it sometime this weekend.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2006, 03:21:33 PM »
If any of you guys can upload a sample recording when you get around to it, I'd greatly appreciate it.  I'd like to see how the Pre sounds.  Thank you.   :)

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2006, 03:26:52 PM »
And I'd be VERY interested in battery life when phantom powering mics.  Maybe it's doable with lithium AAs?

Offline Tenn Man

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2006, 04:23:56 PM »
Please let us know how the built-in mics sound.

Offline soundpro

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Zoom H4 - first look
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2006, 05:11:59 PM »
Hi Everybody:

Well, we received our first small shipment of H4's today (Samson is only shipping partial orders to dealers at this time). Anyway, after a quick look and listen I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised. The build quality is better than expected....pretty solid. I gave the built in mics a quick listen......they sounded decent, but perhaps a bit dull in the highs. Again, after a quick listen, the noise level seemed OK.

All of this is subjective, as I can't hang on to one right now....too many people waiting for them. More to come in the future....

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals, Inc
800-213-3021
www.soundprofessionals.com

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: Zoom H4 - first look
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2006, 05:51:33 PM »
Hi Everybody:

Well, we received our first small shipment of H4's today (Samson is only shipping partial orders to dealers at this time). Anyway, after a quick look and listen I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised. The build quality is better than expected....pretty solid. I gave the built in mics a quick listen......they sounded decent, but perhaps a bit dull in the highs. Again, after a quick listen, the noise level seemed OK.

All of this is subjective, as I can't hang on to one right now....too many people waiting for them. More to come in the future....

Chris Carfagno
The Sound Professionals, Inc
800-213-3021
www.soundprofessionals.com

+thanks.  Keep us posted dude.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2006, 11:46:00 AM »
A video displaying the H4 at the Ontario, CA Expo last week.  The hosts are complete morons and don't give the Samson rep enough time to show features, since he's constanttly dealing with their bad jokes.  This video has 2 Samson products, a LD USB mic and the H4.  Move the slider to about the halfway mark, and the H4 presentation will begin.

http://www.neo-fight.tv/2006/10/episode_075_samson_technologie.html

The H4 is definitely bigger than the Edirols and Microtrack, but smaller than the Marantz 660. 

Offline mandoman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2006, 11:49:16 AM »
Can we get a picture of the h4 next to a microtrack and r09?

Thanks,
Mandoman

Offline vegas06

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2006, 11:58:04 AM »

"The H4 allows you to lock the operation keys to prevent inadvertent operation during a recording.This function is called “key-hold”. To enable or disable the function, proceed as follows"
This is correct.

" Press and hold the center of the [MENU] key until the indication “Key Hold” appears on the display.The key-hold function is enabled and all control operations will be disregarded, except for the [POWER] switch, [MIC GAIN] switch, [INPUT 1 GAIN] switch, [INPUT 2 GAIN] switch, [PHONES LEVEL] and the center of the [MENU] key.
When a disabled control is operated, the indication shown below appears on the display for 2 seconds.
Eesh...so it looks like those switches down the right aren't locked.  I hope they are...err...'embedded' well."

These buttons are locked,while you are recording, regardless of wheather "Key Hold" is engaged or not.  The only way to change your recording format is to stop recording and select your format and bitrate.

"It sounds like gain is adjustable in 127 steps (100 is 'unity'?) - but its buried in a menu and looks like it is clunky to adjust.  Seems ass-backwards to have H/M/L-Z adjustable at the flick of a switch but gain buried. *shrug*"
You are able to leave your gain adjustment up in the menu so you can adjust on the fly if needed.  Both L/R grouped using onbaord mic, or independant using pug in mics.  And you can adjust the input levels while the unit is locked.

"So it looks ilke this thing's not firmware upgradeable eh?"
It is firmware upgradeable, just don't know who will have the firmware upgrades..Samson or Zoom.

I hope this helps to answer some questions.

All in all it seems like it will be a very good recorder.  I only had a small chance to play with my new one last night.

Offline floete

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2006, 11:59:17 AM »
from the video, it looks quite a bit bigger than the edirol.  i can stick the edirol in my shirt pocket and no one can see it (well, there is that red light ....) but it seems to me the H4 would stick out a lot.

i

Offline vegas06

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2006, 12:03:30 PM »
from the video, it looks quite a bit bigger than the edirol.  i can stick the edirol in my shirt pocket and no one can see it (well, there is that red light ....) but it seems to me the H4 would stick out a lot.

i

It is bigger and more substantial than the R-09, but about the same size as the microtrack. 
I wouldn't put it in a grooms pocket for a wedding.  But it could still easily fit into your coat pocket.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2006, 12:10:47 PM »
Have you tried recording with it yet, like your home stereo, to see how it sounds?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com