Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H4  (Read 64569 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: Zoom H4
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2006, 02:40:05 AM »
This thing will recognize a 4 GB card!!!!   :o  I did some googling and found a Japanese website.  Google's translator is poor (BETA, figures  ::)) , but the guy shows pictures of the H4's screen, showing the correct time for 4GB.  And its a Transcend card too.  Woot!!  Looks like he was able to record until the card was full, but was not able to open the 4GB file with his software.  R09 can record continous on 4GB card too, with no 2GB limit.  No 2GB limit!  Yes!

Here's the original, untranslated page.

http://www.orchestra.ne.jp/html/modules/wordpress/

Here's the Google page.  You'll see the link(s) (myweblog) about 5 links down the page.  Click on Google's translator, unless you have a better one.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22zoom+h4%22+4gb+card&hl=en&lr=&start=30&sa=N

Offline vegas06

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2006, 09:04:18 AM »
I have tried several setups with piano in the same hall (but not generally simultaneously).  The things I tried were: Schoeps MK2S > CMC6XT, Sanken CO100K, DPA4052.  I generally backup with DPA4060>MMA6000>D1.  These all sound superb, sometimes the backup rivalled the more expensvie mic setup (different positions and baffling), but I am convinced that the Josephsons with larger diameter diaphragm caps do the best job.  The AT835ST comparison was the most exact on placement and material recorded, but the ATs cost about 1/4 what the others do, and it sounds it.

Thanks for your comments. I didn't know the MMA6000 or the D1. The MMA very much influenced a preamp I designed in 2000, which you can see here:

http://www.preciseaudio.com/brochure.html

My unit had balanced/XLR inputs & outputs, which the MMA does not seem to have but were very important on this application. The internal circuitry was based around the SSM2017, which I am not sure if it's what the MMA uses.

But coming back to the H4, I am very much interested in it, as an alternative to the M-Audio 24/96 and the Edirol R-09. Particularly because the H4 offers XLR inputs and 48v phantom power.

My application would always be field recording, as a backup or double-system audio for video/film recordings.

How good are the internal preamps as compared to the MMA6000?

Is it difficult to setup for recording, meaning how many steps until getting to REC/Pause?

One thing I found irritating on my Sony Hi-MD portable is that it's default is "AGC" instead of "Manual", so you can't go straight into REC/Pause as was in my Sharp 722.

How would that be in the H4?

My idea is probably to use an external preamp/mixer to feed line level signals into the H4, but having a simpler option, like feeding quality mics (like Sennheiser MKH416 or Oktavas) into it would be interesting too.

Carlos, I can't comment on teh MMA pramp as I ahve never used it.  But in regrads to you question on how easy it is to setup and record, the answer is very.  just go into your seup menu, and select either built in mic or ch1/ch2 mic setup, 48v phantom on/off/48v/24v, turn limiter/compressor on/off, AGC on/off, set levels (which you can do even when not in record or record standby mode if you set monitor to on so you can always monitor sound even during playback).
Push record button once to go into standby and again to start recording, push record again to stop recording and push teh record button twice again to record next track.

Once you make these setup options, the H4 will remember them the next time you power up the unit.  So you wouldn't have to worry about things sych as the AGC being turned on for recording your next gig.

Also the onboard preamps seem pretty quiet, as I have done a test using the built in mics, as well as 48v phantom using my matched pair of Rode NT5 mics.  Next I hope to test an AT822 in stereo fed to both channels, as well as my AT815B and rode NTG2/and or NT3 fed into channels 1/2.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2006, 09:09:45 AM »
This thing will recognize a 4 GB card!!!!   :o  I did some googling and found a Japanese website.  Google's translator is poor (BETA, figures  ::)) , but the guy shows pictures of the H4's screen, showing the correct time for 4GB.  And its a Transcend card too.  Woot!!  Looks like he was able to record until the card was full, but was not able to open the 4GB file with his software.  R09 can record continous on 4GB card too, with no 2GB limit.  No 2GB limit!  Yes!

Here's the Google page.  You'll see the link(s) (myweblog) about 5 links down the page.  Click on Google's translator, unless you have a better one.

While my H4 works perfectly with a 2GB card, when I put a Panasonic 4GB SD card in it just says "no card" on the display.

Jeff

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2006, 09:40:01 AM »
I can't comment on teh MMA pramp as I ahve never used it. 

That part of the question was adressed to Jeff.

But in regrads to you question on how easy it is to setup and record, the answer is very.  just go into your seup menu, and select either built in mic or ch1/ch2 mic setup, 48v phantom on/off/48v/24v, turn limiter/compressor on/off, AGC on/off, set levels (which you can do even when not in record or record standby mode if you set monitor to on so you can always monitor sound even during playback).
Push record button once to go into standby and again to start recording, push record again to stop recording and push teh record button twice again to record next track.

Once you make these setup options, the H4 will remember them the next time you power up the unit.  So you wouldn't have to worry about things sych as the AGC being turned on for recording your next gig.

Now that's very good news!

Also the onboard preamps seem pretty quiet, as I have done a test using the built in mics, as well as 48v phantom using my matched pair of Rode NT5 mics.  Next I hope to test an AT822 in stereo fed to both channels, as well as my AT815B and rode NTG2/and or NT3 fed into channels 1/2.

I am quite interested in those Rode mics. My personal preference is for a AKG Blue Line pair that I set in an X/Y arrangement and it's extremely transparent. Even for recording with one mic, as we once did for a violin and piano, the mic was better than my Sennheiser MKH416, which is quite a mic. I have been considering getting a large-diaphragm type, like the LDS2, but I wonder if it's the best type for the kind of music I intend to record.

Carlos

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2006, 10:24:39 AM »

While my H4 works perfectly with a 2GB card, when I put a Panasonic 4GB SD card in it just says "no card" on the display.

Jeff

I didn't know Panasonic had a SD card.  I'm gonna order a Transcend 4GB card today.  I'll try it out when my H4 arrives.  The Transcend SDs have been working in the R09's as well, but doesn't show the correct time and size.  Judging from the above link, they appear to be recognized by the H4 correctly and work. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 04:01:05 PM by spyder9 »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2006, 03:38:35 PM »
Can anyone measure the voltage with the phantom on?

Offline vegas06

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2006, 03:53:50 PM »

What do you wnt to know?
The H4 can supply either 24V or 48V phantom power, you chose your setting Phantom 24V/48V/OFF.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2006, 03:56:19 PM »

What do you wnt to know?
The H4 can supply either 24V or 48V phantom power, you chose your setting Phantom 24V/48V/OFF.

He wants someone to *measure it*.   Remember the microtrack claiming to be 48V.  Well, we want to see if the volts are really there :).

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2006, 04:48:29 PM »

Just to know: where did you get those H4s? They are not being delivered in the US yet, as far as I know. Or are they?

Offline vegas06

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2006, 04:56:45 PM »

Just to know: where did you get those H4s? They are not being delivered in the US yet, as far as I know. Or are they?
Got mine from sweetwater.com, but they sold out of their first shipment just filling most of the pre orders.
Try them, B&H, or soundprofessioanls.com.

Although, like the R-09 when it first came out, most paces might be sold out for a while.

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2006, 08:47:38 PM »
I got mine off of eBay.  The seller also has his own website:  www.musicwonderland.com.  I paid $299.00 and he threw in a set of 20ft Whirlwind mics cables.  Shipping was free.  I received confirmation today that my H4 is in the mail.  Should have it by Friday.  Its coming from Miami.

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2006, 01:27:04 AM »
[I didn't know Panasonic had a SD card.  I'm gonna order a Transcend 4GB card today.  I'll try it out when my H4 arrives.  The Transcend SDs have been working in the R09's as well, but doesn't show the correct time and size.  Judging from the above link, they appear to be recognized by the H4 correctly and work. 

I ordered a Transcend card, which should arrive in time to test it this coming Friday.  The Panasonic seems to be one of the newer SD "HC" cards and that may be why it doesn't work in the H4, if I can get two hours at 24/96 it is somewhat useful gear.  I have burned audio CDs of the three versions of the piano recital, and will prepare a CD-ROM with one piece as recorded in three 24/96 wav files for whoever wants, happy to mail them out later in the week, just pm me a mailing address.

Jeff

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2006, 11:02:08 AM »
I ordered a Transcend card, which should arrive in time to test it this coming Friday.  The Panasonic seems to be one of the newer SD "HC" cards and that may be why it doesn't work in the H4, if I can get two hours at 24/96 it is somewhat useful gear.

Where did you order the Transcend card from? How much was it?

What card types do work with the H4?

B&H is already tabbed the H4 as "in stock", so maybe it's a chance to get one.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 11:06:23 AM by Carlos E. Martinez »

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2006, 11:09:46 AM »
I ordered a Transcend card, which should arrive in time to test it this coming Friday.  The Panasonic seems to be one of the newer SD "HC" cards and that may be why it doesn't work in the H4, if I can get two hours at 24/96 it is somewhat useful gear.

Where did you order the Transcend card from? How much was it?

What card types do work with the H4?

B&H is already tabbed the H4 as "in stock", so maybe it's a chance to get one.

www.newegg.com

• Taperssection Regular

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.13 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com