Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My Edirol R-09 battery door decided to pack it in... any way to fix it?  (Read 3042 times)

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
My beloved, practically mint condition, Edirol R-09 battery door latch finally decided to pack it in.  It closes but can be "pushed open" as the latch is no longer locking.

The good news is that with the skin on it, the door can't open.  The bad news -- well, I'd like to prevent that from happening.

Any pointers would be helpful.   I'd love to upgrade to an M-10 but it's just not worth it (yet). 

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Not sure just what broke, likely the battery door plastic/metal slider thingy.   

Carefully look at the sliding mechanism that locks/unlocks the door.  Determine what 'used to' keep the door in place and see if something is broken off, or just broken loose ready to be fixed.   I no longer have this model to look at it for more specific details and suggestions.   Of course you can always 'limp' by with using a patch of non-gooey type gaffers tape folding a small tab in the tape so easily pulled off and put back on.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Wow, one finally broke!

The battery door was a big deal when this recorder was released. Everyone speculated that it would quickly break, but this is the 1st one I've heard about.
 I'm looking at one of mine sitting here.. If it's only the tiny plastic locking latch mechanism and not the sliding rails that hold the batteries in tension when the door is closed, then I'd just secure it with gaff tape like Guy mentions. Sorry to hear about the troubles.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

adrianf74

Thanks Guy and Gutbucket.

The door closes fine, the "latch" just doesn't lock anymore (it's stuck in the middle) so I'm thinking the pin gave out.  With the rubber case/skin on it (stock Edirol part), the battery door doesn't move.  Looks like I'll have to go the non-gooey tape method for extra security; it just sucks because I've maybe opened the door 50 times at best (and have been EXTREMELY careful every time).

Now that I've devalued my R09, looks like I'm stuck with it until it stops recording. :P

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I have a bit of trouble closing my R-09 battery door, as I've dropped it a couple times (D'oh!) and somewhat bent/skewed the sliders. But once I finally get the lip lined up correctly it finally slides and has no problems staying closed.
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

adrianf74

I have a bit of trouble closing my R-09 battery door, as I've dropped it a couple times (D'oh!) and somewhat bent/skewed the sliders. But once I finally get the lip lined up correctly it finally slides and has no problems staying closed.
I actually looked into a bit further.  It looks as though it's locking again after I fiddled with it a bit more.  It locks at the point where I need to move the switch over to open the battery part but will not go past that without my intervention.  Looks like I managed to save it.

Offline Carrera2

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member

I've sent my R-09 twice to Edirol in Los Angeles, once to fix broken switches on the backside, and the other, I forget what the problem was. Out of warranty, they still fixed it both times at no charge. They had indicated that they would quote a price when they had it on the bench, and before I got a call, it came back repaired.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
I actually looked into a bit further.  It looks as though it's locking again after I fiddled with it a bit more.  It locks at the point where I need to move the switch over to open the battery part but will not go past that without my intervention.  Looks like I managed to save it.
epoxy is your friend... if its worn down you can always build it back up with epoxy. If its cracked again epoxy and some sanding should fix it, I also bet that Roland would sell you a replacement door. For a nominal charge.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com