Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ZOOM H4 AND FILES OVER 2GB + High End Lithium Batter Life  (Read 3852 times)

Offline Barry Shoop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
ZOOM H4 AND FILES OVER 2GB + High End Lithium Batter Life
« on: January 17, 2011, 06:17:53 PM »
I know about and have upgraded to the v2.4 firmware which now allows up to a 32GB card. However, I note that Zoom site indicates each FILE is still limited to 2GB. Is the fix similar to that for the H2 where it just keeps on running until the stop button is pressed and inserts headers and dates at that time (losing nothing in the process and simply requiring pasting the two parts together on mixing) or does the thing have to be watched and stopped manually prior to 2GB being used and then re-started when using larger memory cards for long recording time applications?

ALSO, I have discovered that the Energizer 8X Lithium Batteries last a LONG time. Running my AKG CB568D shotguns at 48 volts I have put 4.5 hours on a set and the Zoom's battery meter still reads FULL. Has anyone experimented with max safe life on these things running 48 volts phantom power while recording? Hate to find out it looks FULL right up until it has 10 minutes of life left or some such disaster.  :P

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: ZOOM H4 AND FILES OVER 2GB + High End Lithium Batter Life
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
You're probably much more likely to find someone who can answer your questions on the Zoom forum. Nobody here talks about using the Zoom H4 anymore and I can understand why. It was my first flash recorder & I absolutely hated it.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline groundhog2

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • lma recordings
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 01:52:19 PM »
I'm not sure if i have the latest firmware update...I haven't used my H4 in a while but after 2gigs it'll cont...recording and create a new file....however while it's saving the data you lose 10-20secs of record time.  As far as the phantom, i wouldn't recommend running phantom on internal batteries get yourself a wally wart 9v and you'll be all set running an H4 for many days....just be aware the polarity on the h4 is negative.....i believe it's an M tip.

also personally for me i wouldn't really recommend buying an H4 or H4n i have each and am not too satisfied...although the phantom can be really nice sometimes, in tight spots when i'm running 3+ stages at once......also i wouldn't recommend dropping an r-09 from table level....dropped it a few weeks ago and now it's extremely finicky.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 08:07:28 PM »
Those Energizer lithium batts do last FOREVER.  I've had the same set in my M10 now for several months; recorded at least 20hrs of shows and it still reads full.  Of course, I wasn't running phantom power too, but still. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Barry Shoop

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 10:02:15 PM »
Groundhog2, I am curious as to why you find the H4 unsatisfactory. I see many folks have gone to the Sony M10 and I am at a loss as to why. The external mic input is a single stereo mini on that unit and as near as I can tell it seems more difficult to operate in the dark. The H4 takes XLR and 1/4, can be operated by a blind man and as to the phantom power, I really don't mind buying batteries to keep the rig clean, neat and simple. (I have 7+ hours on one set of the 8x Litiums running full 48 volts the whole time and they STILL read full!) By mounting a hose clamp to the back of the H4's stand I am able to clamp the unit right to the mic pole (Shure S15) and run Studio Grade Monsters right to the mics. Nothing laying on the floor and nothing for folks to trip on. You can check out the recent Camper / Cracker show at the Highline ballroom on archive.org to get an idea of the results I get from the thing. I am realtively new to digital flash recorders but have been taping for over 20 years (Nak 550 and Whirlwind Phantom Supplies previously) and have found simpler really is better. (I have also discovered that recording with the Zoom at 48khz / 24 bit and then mixing down to 44.1khz / 16 bit generates incredibly dynamic sound.) I KNOW XLR sounds better than running down to stereo mini so I am a bit confused as to why a lot of folks seem to be down on the Zoom.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 01:53:27 PM »
Virtually all recorders that we work with limit file size to 2GB. It is a FAT limitation, but really does not matter as the majority of the decks do a seamless split, and therefore no data is lost. (I cannot remember the technical part as to why there is a 2gb limit.) You should be able to check the manual online to see if it states seamless file splits or just run and test it if need be.  I'd be surprised if the H4 is not seamless, especially after having a firmware upgrade to allow 32gb Cards, but it is an older deck, so perhaps.

There are many people that think the Zoom is a fine deck, but sometimes they are more quiet about it. I have never used it, but have heard many fine recordings with it. It all depends on your needs and if you get good or great recordings than that is all that matters. I own a few decks and in terms of smaller ones, by far my favorite is the MT 2496. There are quite a few people like myself that do very well with it, but we keep really quiet, because that is the favorite deck for people who either have never owned it or who have owned it but had issues to bash. I got mine when it first came out and it had firmware issues, but the last 170 recordings or so have been flawless.

As a group, Sony M10 owners are notoriously insecure  >:D. They have to always chime in on any thread and tell you to get the M10. I hope they will take my sarcasm good naturedly. It IS a fine, even excellent deck, but with so many different models to choose from, not everyone agrees that the M10 suits their needs. I am always amazed at how passionate they are about everyone else owning the same deck. I certainly would consider adding it to my decks, but I am worried that like McDonalds and Meow Mix, there is some addictive drug or additive emitted upon opening and tasting the deck that hopelessly addicts you to it. ;D
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 07:24:09 AM »
Unlike most people here, I agree with dallman that the MT 24/96 is a fine deck (at least for analog in) if you are using the line inputs and know how to use it. I prefer other decks for various reasons, but I can make flawless recordings with it as long as I have an external battery pack. I liked to combine it with a CA-9100 since I could use the preamp's ability to attenuate to avoid the possibility of overloading in high SP situations.

I think the H4 is just awful though. It is very unintuitive to use (almost unbelievably so), can be noisy if you don't use an external battery, and I would never want to rely on it for phantom power (not very quiet and battery life is not good). It was my first flash recorder and one of the worst purchasing decisions I've ever made (bought it just before I learned about taperssection).

By the way, one warning for those who say they have used lithiums for a long time in any recorder and the battery meter still shows full. They do last a long time, but in virtually every recorder the meter will show full until minutes before they run out. No recorder that I know of has a setting calibrated for lithiums.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:28:50 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline Barry Shoop

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 05:23:48 AM »
Yeah, found that out the hard way on the Battery Life. ooppps. Fortunately PIGIRON on this site had a nice fix for the time code error I ended up with and saved my bacon.

As to noise issues I think you either A) had a defective unit (or REALLY early firmware which you can update from Zoom site) or B) Bad cables and or mic connections (OR your XLR cables were not properly shielded and / or wired for your mics)

I get ZERO noise and I will take the Pepsi Challenge against ANY rig for the quality of my recordings. I run AKG C568EB Shotguns into the H4 via Moster Studio Grade XLR cables and run the phantom power at 48 volts. 48khz / 24 bit master, mix down to 44.1khz / 16 bit using Cube Base LE4. While most (nearly all) of my tapes are not for public consumption (I mainly tape bands that do not normally allow it by agreeing that I won't distribute it) you can go to Archive.org and check out the Highline Ballroom Cracker and Camper Van Beethoven performances from last month. (FYI that occassional buzz was in the PA, NOT my unit)

As to operation, once you set it up (hey that's what the manual is for, right?) how hard is it to press the big round record button on the front?

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 03:43:52 PM »
As to operation, once you set it up (hey that's what the manual is for, right?) how hard is it to press the big round record button on the front?

If you're happy, that's all that matters.

I still think it's a truly horrible recorder to use even if you can get good results with it. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I want a recorder that doesn't require me to refer to the manual if I haven't used it in 6 months, among other things.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 03:48:59 PM »
Virtually all recorders that we work with limit file size to 2GB. It is a FAT limitation, but really does not matter as the majority of the decks do a seamless split, and therefore no data is lost. (I cannot remember the technical part as to why there is a 2gb limit.)

The .wav format is limited to 4 GB.  I am not sure why a lot of recorders have a 2 GB limit, but it isn't an inherent limit of .wav.  Maybe it is because larger files, especially in the past, were difficult to deal with...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com