Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie looking for info on gear  (Read 2248 times)

Offline drivingwheel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Driving Wheel
Newbie looking for info on gear
« on: February 08, 2011, 09:32:58 PM »
I'm a total newbie w/a basic working knowledge of gear, looking for something to record my band's shows in a matrix-type format (open air mics+SBD simultaneously) and other shows I go to (I go to a lot) as well as something convenient to record rehearsals with.

I'm curious about the tascam dr-100 - I see that it has 4 mics; can those record simultaneously?  It also has XLR and and a line in; can THOSE record simultaneous?

If either the built-in mics or external sources can do that, then I'm gonna grab one, regardless of battery issues that have been discussed in other threads.

I've looked at portable 4 tracks (boss has one that is around $200) but they all seem to be only be able to record two tracks simultaneously. 

Any and all feedback would be appreciated, thank you.
http://www.drivingwheelmusic.com
http://www.archive.org/details/DrivingWheel
http://www.facebook.com/drivingwheel

open : Peluso CEMC-6 (cards)>Edirol ua-5 (d-mod)/Fostex FR-2LE (Busman t-mod)/Tascam DR-2D

covert operations : CA-14 (cards)/AT853 (cards)>Church Audio 9100>Tascam DR-2D
'

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Newbie looking for info on gear
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 11:39:49 PM »
I have heard really good things about the dr-2d. though I have not used it so take it for what it's worth

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 12:56:25 AM »
I've used the DR-2d for three shows so far, always sbd/aud using the internal mics, because I didn't feel like bringing the full rig.

Long story short: I highly recommend it. In that price range ($200 from amazon or b&h), there's nothing like it.
Also, with good rechargeables or lithiums, battery life is not an issue.

What I haven't tried yet is running mic-in with external mics and and preamp. Max input is -16db. Not sure if that's enough. My mp3 player couldn't brickwall it though.

Offline Barry Shoop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 05:29:55 AM »
For what you want (4 tracks at once) The Zoom H4n will do what you want AND has great battery life. I know there are a lot of Zoom haters on this board but if you know how to use the thing they are absolutely awesome. Make sure you get the H4n NOT the H4 if you want 4 tracks at once capability. Unit will also provide phantom mic power, has a TON of built in effects if you want to get fancy and even has a tuner built in (just plug in your guitar and select that function). H4n runs about $299.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 12:51:35 AM »
I've used the DR-2d for three shows so far, always sbd/aud using the internal mics, because I didn't feel like bringing the full rig.

Long story short: I highly recommend it. In that price range ($200 from amazon or b&h), there's nothing like it.
Also, with good rechargeables or lithiums, battery life is not an issue.

What I haven't tried yet is running mic-in with external mics and and preamp. Max input is -16db. Not sure if that's enough. My mp3 player couldn't brickwall it though.

I agree regarding the lithiums.  I had brick wall issues with my RBox but upgrade to an NBox and have been fine.  Expensive upgrade but the RBox was the second one made and traveling on planes caused problems since it looked like a bomb.  Now if I only had a second set of caps I'd have 2 full rigs

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com