Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oade Moded R1  (Read 7289 times)

Offline noam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Oade Moded R1
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2005, 08:13:54 PM »
you are the first person i have heard say that.

I'll second Jeff's report of the improvement with the DPA preamp. I think I listen to all his tapes, and over dozens of performances by now the improvement is very significant. The preamp clarifies the direct source of sound (soloists/orchestra) over the ambiance. Without the preamp the sound often has a quality of floating (or drowning) in the ambiance. Also, something about the sound itself is more pleasant, less colored. Bottom line, the sound with the MMA6000 is drop dead gorgeous, and as a result it's difficult to revisit the tapes made before with the battery box. - Noam

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2005, 10:46:15 AM »
I ran the Oade modified R1 last night, and I am pleased with the result, although the comparisons with a stock R1 are not definitive.  I sat in the same hall, same seat (about 8 feet from the Steinway piano, no one in front of me), same levels on the DPA MMA6000 preamp with DPA4060 mics and running at 16 bits, but since the pianists and programs were different the comparisons are overwhelmed by the performance differences.  I'd say that out of a Tascam CD-RW700 or even a Panasonic portable the modded R1 is a bit clearer and crisper.  Disconcertingly, when I run the signal through a DAC1 into headphones it sounds harsher for both versions of the R1, which I have not noticed on orchestral recordings with the stock R1.  Is there something about a piano that the DAC1 doesn't like?

Jeff

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2005, 10:58:57 AM »
has doug done the digital input mod yet - i know he mentioned it on his bbs a while ago...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2005, 11:23:20 AM »
has doug done the digital input mod yet - i know he mentioned it on his bbs a while ago...

He didn't mention it to me (but then I guess I didn't ask, either) ???

Jeff

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2005, 03:16:47 AM »
I'm thinking of getting the moded R1, but had a question hopefully someone here can answer.  I'll also see what Oade's response is.  I'm running 4061s w/a DPA batt box currently, but had been thinking about getting the MMA for two purposes: boosting the signal on my weaker mic for the sake of saving post work and being able to tape quiter shows going line-in over mic-in.  Now that Oade has the R1 mod with the optional +6 or 12+dB of gain, would choosing that over the MMA pre be sonically different?  It sounds like you guys are having good results with the 4061/MMA/R1 combo, but I've always figured no pre would sound better than having a pre.  But, I assume the gain mod is a result of an opamp providing the gain, which wouldn't sound as nice as the MMA.  Thoughts?  Thanks.

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2005, 04:57:33 AM »
I purchased the Oade mod R1 but haven't done a field test yet.  I got the +6db option also because he said that would be the best choice with the 4061>battbox>R1 combo.  Those mics truly do desire a hot line so the louder you can get them the better they should sound.  I'm expecting major improvements over the JB3 in terms of sound quality.  I'm gonna be stealthing Atmosphere on tuesday with the unit so I'll put it in the kickdowns and you guys can decide what it sounds like.

4061>sound pros batt box>oade R1

Also, at Oade the R1 is only 399.99 stock, it was $530 shipped with second day air.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2005, 09:14:34 AM »
It sounds like you guys are having good results with the 4061/MMA/R1 combo, but I've always figured no pre would sound better than having a pre.  But, I assume the gain mod is a result of an opamp providing the gain, which wouldn't sound as nice as the MMA.  Thoughts?  Thanks.

I'm using DPA 4060s, which are more sensitive than the 4061s, taping acoustic programs from very loud orchestral to piano and chamber music.  I just got a transparency mod, not a volume gain.  I am very pleased with the MMA6000, which I have also used with DAT and gotten a nice improvement in sound.  Two minor pluses for the MMA6000 are the stepped 2.5 dB gain, which is a hell of alot easier to calibrate accurately than the R1 input volume knob (about which the less said the better), and the powering of the 4060s (without it, I'd need a battery box anyway, no big gain in rig simplification from dropping the preamp).  I also plan to feed the MT with this, line-in.

I did have to send my modded R1 back to Doug last week, after noticing that it had started to brickwall at about -3 dB and the last light on the meter failed to come on at any input level.  I had been running pretty conservative levels, and didn't notice this until I was troubleshooting another problem and saw the ~80% of scale peak limits in Wavelab when crowd chearing would have clipped the recording at 0 dB.  Never heard the problem in any of my recordings, which continued to be good.

Jeff

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2005, 10:05:49 AM »
Weird, my 4061>battbox>jb3 rig was not pulling hot enough levels for my taste so i hope the +6db mod was a good idea.  In theory it should get hotter before any hiss/hum from the recorder is introduced due to gain settings.  I almost wish I had 4060s but with some of the insane SPLs I go to it's nice to not worry about clipping ever.  I just wanted to make sure my levels were significantly hotter than with the JB3 yet still leaving enough headroom for peaking without clipping.  We'll see how I like it after taping a bound to be intensely bass heavy show.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2005, 10:07:06 AM »
Weird, my 4061>battbox>jb3 rig was not pulling hot enough levels for my taste so i hope the +6db mod was a good idea.  In theory it should get hotter before any hiss/hum from the recorder is introduced due to gain settings.  I almost wish I had 4060s but with some of the insane SPLs I go to it's nice to not worry about clipping ever.  I just wanted to make sure my levels were significantly hotter than with the JB3 yet still leaving enough headroom for peaking without clipping.  We'll see how I like it after taping a bound to be intensely bass heavy show.

You can turn it down!  You'll be a'ight brah.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2005, 04:06:34 AM »
Yeah I'm more or less just worried about getting levels set properly with a unit I haven't field tested and at a venue I've never been to before.  I'm hoping for results so we'll see what happens...

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2005, 05:07:09 AM »
The R1 sounds very very nice.  I haven't used a stock model so I can't compare that to the Oade unit.  After my first night using this thing I'd say it was well worth the money.  I had my levels set way too low expecting a loud show, but it wasn't even loud enough for ear plugs.  As a result there's a bit of hiss on the tape but it's nothing that will annoy a listener.  The recording sounds even better than the room did so kudos to this recorder.  Go buy one!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com