Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So the R-09's out, where does this leave the R-1?  (Read 6920 times)

Offline pgoelz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: So the R-09's out, where does this leave the R-1?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2006, 06:52:23 AM »
I don't think the gain control on the R9 adds noise unless you change it while recording.  Then it does add a small click for each gain step.  But they are subtle and easily masked by most program material, especially if the signal level is decent.  The click are also audible when the AGC changes the gain, but since the AGC decay time is very short I don't use it. 

I've talked to Roland USA and they know about it but so far have not responded with a cause or fix. 

Paul
Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI USA
Music, model helis and astronomy website:
www.pgoelz.com

Offline Evil Taper

• Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 04:13:18 AM »
what about when you're stealthing and need to do a level adjustment?  sounds like a POS in that respect.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 05:44:43 PM »
what about when you're stealthing and need to do a level adjustment?  sounds like a POS in that respect.

Yeah, that is kinda discouraging...

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2006, 05:55:09 PM »

Yeah, that is kinda discouraging...

i recorded a punky opening band a couple of weeks back.  intentionally ran a little hot at the beginning to see how well it handled near overage, and then i intentionally cranked it down by a few notches during a song.

the manipulation was inaudible to me on several listens.

Offline tapeworm48

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 06:01:28 PM »

my first (and only) time out w/ the R09 i adjusted levels multiple times early on since i didnt know exactly where to set them, and although i havent given it a detailed listen, i couldnt hear any clicks over my usual playback system. 
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2006, 06:17:05 PM »

my first (and only) time out w/ the R09 i adjusted levels multiple times early on since i didnt know exactly where to set them, and although i havent given it a detailed listen, i couldnt hear any clicks over my usual playback system. 

Ah, well there you go... that's good news.

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2006, 08:20:49 PM »
I've tested my R-09 for audible clicks several times and found nothing. I listened back via headphones, my Polks and a set of Dynaudio Contours and heard nothing. So either someone has a defective unit - or an overactive imagination...
dB-
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2006, 09:00:25 PM »
I've tested my R-09 for audible clicks several times and found nothing. I listened back via headphones, my Polks and a set of Dynaudio Contours and heard nothing. So either someone has a defective unit - or an overactive imagination...
dB-

I agree.... I used my R-09 for a recent Very loud show...I ran the meters very hot and got alot of distortion( I'm still learning)....But the sections that came out well sound fantastic.......I was screwing around with the levels alot ( the sound guy apparently had a sense of humor) and I can't hear any noise due to level change.....I use Etymotic ER4's and Sennheiser 650's......You guys may be misinterpreting the segmented change in sound levels and ambient recorded noise with the level changes...its not linear...I have done alot of testing at home ( I'm disables and bored to death), basically just burning in new cables and mics....and I have never heard what you guys have been describing...Sorry......Now keep in mind that I'm half deaf on my fathers side...so this may explain my opinion....

Peace
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2006, 04:32:10 PM »
I can report that I haven't been able to duplicate any clicking sounds with level changes monitoring over some old but gold Infinity RS4B's and through Ety Er4S.  I haven't used the AGC function though.  The headphone amp could be a little hotter to drive the Er4S's but it's enough maxed at 100 level, though it's better through my little HeadRoom Airhead amp.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2006, 07:13:59 PM »
interesting...
Really not very evil at all now...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com