Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: best cable for core sound dpa 4061 replacement  (Read 1893 times)

Offline bonghitwillie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
best cable for core sound dpa 4061 replacement
« on: March 17, 2023, 11:36:54 PM »
i forget how many wires i need in the housing. there needs to be enough wires for 2 mics. essentially this is super thin lavelier cable. what is the best and most durable cable available? thanks in advance

Offline SMsound

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: best cable for core sound dpa 4061 replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 07:25:34 AM »
I don't know how many wires you need for 4061. However, for 'regular' mics (2 conductor + ground shielding), I use the very thin Mogami lav cable W3031, which is a standard lav cable used by musical theater houses. Here's my build, which shows the size of the cable linked below. I really like that stuff. I get it for $0.50/ft custom-sized from performance audio It is just 2.8mm overall diameter, which is very similar to Schoeps LEMO cables (for ccm). It feels nice and flexible.

https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=200731.0

https://www.performanceaudio.com/mogami-w3031-miniature-balanced-mic-cable-with-braided-shield-black-by-the-foot.html

Stripping the tiny leads is annoying with tools even though I have them -- I prefer to nick the insulation with a knife then pull it off with a fingernail in the nick. Soldering iron helps to remove the white fluffy stuff packed in with the leads.

PS please post your build -- a 4061 pair is on my short list.

Here's Mogami's writeup on their different lav cable options (which shows why our group probably wants W3031):
These miniature microphone cables feature necessary mechanical strength (tensile strength and long flex life) and flexibility for lavalier microphones and other applications. All balanced configuration. Part No. W3031 cable is exactly same construction as Part No. W2697 cable except for shield structure. Part No. W2697 cable is constructed with served (spiral) shield, while Part No. W3031 cable is constructed with braided shield. Part No. W2901 is specially designed with better tensile strength and longer flex life, sacrificing some sound quality, and creating a slightly more difficult soldering job because of used copper-tin alloy conductor, this cable is mechanically very strong and durable.

Before I found the W3031 and learned that Soundmirror used it (which convinced me), someone on this subforum suggested Belkin lav cable in a recent thread -- that may be worth checking out too.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 07:28:05 AM by SMsound »
waves -> bits

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com