Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Couple of Samplitude questions  (Read 8596 times)

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
Re: Couple of Samplitude questions
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2008, 04:07:24 PM »
VST plugins offer a certain diversity to an already great software like Samplitude.

Is it better to use the r8b standalone or the VST plug-in?  Will the r8b plug-in do a batch conversion of tracks? 

Sorry if I did not clarify, but R8Brain is not available as a plugin. The author does is not interested in developing one.
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2008, 06:04:15 PM »
Reading that thread I cannot but believe that if you did things in a slightly different order you would not have a problem. The order I suggest is:

1 - Edit
2 - Generate tracks (each is probably smaller than 2GB)
3 - SRC and dither in R8Brain

Sam 10 handles so called RIFF64 files which can be larger than 4GB. This is a realatively new format and I am not sure if r8brain supports it. This might your solution otherwise.

Thanks, Gunnar.  Already tried generating tracks first.  R8Brain introduces artifacts at the track breaks, unfortunately:

I tried cutting the 3.5 GB WAV into smaller chunks, running them in batch through R8Brain, and then importing back into SAM for dithering and final tracking.  Unfortunately, this produces audible clicks at the point I re-join the WAVs.

Most of my recording results in contiguous tracks from start of performance to end of performance, so they need to play back without artifacts between each.  But I only SRC'd in R8Brain.  Maybe SRC + dither in R8Brain, instead of just SRC, will prevent the artifacts from occurring?  I doubt it, but may give it a try.  At any rate, I'll check into whether R8Brain supports RIFF64 as another potential option.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2008, 09:30:23 PM »
Possible workaround:
Cut your 3.5 gb file into two chunks and allow for some overlap between them. Resample in R8Brain and reimport into a 44.1kHz project. (I will leave it up to you to figure out how to line it up, but it should be possible.)

The other possibility is to put a short fadein/fadeout at the split point. Use the Volume Curve tool, but make it so fast that a person listening cannot tell. However the DAC will then be able to handle this without a click. 

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »
I've altered my work flow to eliminate the extra bounce step in most cases and it's been a good change.  Thanks for the help.  Of course now I have another question.

I have a defect in one channel and I want to just replace the garbage section with exactly the waveform of the other channel.  This will result in a brief mono object but it's the best solution.  In CE this was easy but in SE I can't figure out how to copy one channel of a track and replace it with a copy of the other channel.

Can anyone explain how to do this?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2008, 08:42:39 PM »
Use the "t" keyboard shortcut to split the object where you want the audio affected. Split the object in two places (beginning and end of the region you want to affect.

A this point there are lots of ways to do this but perhaps the easiest is to just change some settings in the object editor.

Double-click on the object to bring up the object editor.
Hit the checkbox to mute the channel that you don't want to be heard.
Rotate the stereo pan control all the way to the left until it says mono.
Raise the volume control in this object by 6db.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2008, 09:11:46 PM »
awesome! +T if I could.

I almost had it but didn't get there.

edit That didn't work so well - I don't like the audible result.  I tried something else since the defect is in a part of the audio where I could snip out the offending samples and heal the discontinuity with a cross fade.   So here is what happened:  I marked the offending range, split it off as an object and deleted the object with the glitch.  I then slid the following object over to mate the two.  Using cross fade editor I set the crossfade region to 1000ms and the resulting fade seemed about right but the offending glitch is reappeared.  Its as if I never cut that out.  Any ideas how this would happen or if I am doing it wrong?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 09:44:43 PM by Lil' Kim Jong-Il »

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2008, 10:01:47 PM »
I would hit undo and try it over to see if you get the same result.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2008, 10:27:53 AM »
LKJIL -- I've experienced the exact same issue as you before.  When one splits and deletes an object, SAM doesn't actually delete the underlying audio.  The audio remains.  In two places, actually!  Best described by an example (from memory, I don't have SAM on my work laptop):

Take a 60 sec waveform.  Split it into 3 objects:  Object A (0-20 sec), Object B (21-30 sec), Object C (31-60 sec).  Delete Object B, the middle object (21-30 sec).  Now...drag/extend the right side of Object A, or the left side of Object C.  And what will one see?  The content from (deleted) Object B!  Even if you move Object C, so that it abuts Object A, the content is still there.  Depending on how one applies crossfades, it's possible to reveal some of the content from Object B.

There are at least two ways to apply crossfades:  <1> move 2 objects so they overlap, ensuring one does not change the size of either object, <2> overlapping and/or extending each object so that they overlap, in part by changing the size of the objects.  In case <2>, changing the size of the objects may reveal content from the deleted object that previously resided in between them.

Basically, you have to make sure you don't "un-delete" any of Object B's content as you apply your crossfade.  Not at my home PC to explain how in greater detail, but hopefully this provides a bit of guidance.
Roland R-05

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2008, 01:00:52 PM »
Brian thanks.

I was using the cross-fade method of placing the two objects adjacent and then using the second object (left click > cross fade editor) to affect the splice.  That seems to be consistant with your description.

Are you recommending that I drag the second object on top of the first object to cause a crossfade?  When I pull one object to overlap another the object on top always appears to replace the region it covers.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2008, 01:24:09 PM »
Are you recommending that I drag the second object on top of the first object to cause a crossfade?  When I pull one object to overlap another the object on top always appears to replace the region it covers.

To be honest, I don't recall precisely how to do it, and I won't be at my home PC to futz with it until later in the week.  :scratches head:  But there's definitely a way to crossfade without bringing the "deleted" artifacts back into the mix.  Sorry I'm not more help at the moment...
Roland R-05

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2008, 01:27:50 PM »
No worries.  I'm out sick today so I'm just laying here playing with audio and reading soap operas.  I'll post if I figure it out.

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2008, 02:39:04 PM »
If you delete the object that represents the part of the audio that you don't want, it should not re-appear when you crossfade the two adjacent objects. I'm not quite sure what is happening here.

All of the data is still in your original file. So the data you deleted is really available, but it is not referenced in any of the remaining objects. Of course, it could be a bug. Maybe that only happens if the region deleted is small. But I can't say for sure.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2008, 02:46:02 PM »
edit: (removed question)

OK I have a solution.

1) enable auto cross fade in the tool bar
2) hight light the offending section
3) ctrl-del

This does exactly what I need and the result is very clean without any artifacts.

Also, when I start shifting these objects to remove the defect, all my CD track markers move too.  Is there a way to lock CD markers into their relative position within the object?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:43:06 PM by Lil' Kim Jong-Il »

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2008, 04:55:13 PM »
I don't know if there is a way to do that.

What I usually do is to split the track at the beginning of each song to create a new object for each. Then "set CD markers on object edges". It generates all of the cd markers at once.

If changes are made, you can remove all of them and then "set CD markers on object edges". That is how I would do it. It's the fastest way.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.353 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com