Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mics -> Pre combo  (Read 6848 times)

Offline discopanic1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Mics -> Pre combo
« on: February 02, 2005, 09:59:31 PM »
I'm just curious what peoples have to say about this combo:

Schoeps Mk4/CMC6 -> Lunatec V3

and I've got it going into my M1.  Not sure how gonna come out since I sent back to get recalibrated to fit the 12v battery pac I already own. 

Peace out

JMC

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mics -> Pre combo
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 10:06:15 PM »
very nice sounding combo, pretty common setup... sounds great.

you'll enjoy it more than the mp2 you were running. it will fit the schoeps sound much better imo.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 10:11:29 PM »
yeah, especially since the MP2 didn't do digital and no A/D at all,very bad thing made for schoeps or not all made for schoeps and if you see jamie tell him I'm mad he sold the SHIT to me!

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 11:31:12 PM »
again why not use the 6 volts I sold you??  I could use those now.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 11:33:49 PM »
good combo, ran it for a bunch of shows though I prefer the mk41 as far as the schoeps go, I actually like the TL's card better than the mk4...though I have made several outstanding outdoors recordings with the mk4 overall I didn't like it in most situations I used it in...and trading one set of caps for a whole new set of mics with 4 patterns with change to spare was an easy choice ;D
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 11:54:01 PM »
yeah, especially since the MP2 didn't do digital and no A/D at all

Not real surprising since the MP2 is a preamp, not an A/D converter. Did he tell you it had an A/D in it?
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 11:58:51 PM »
jamie who?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 12:40:22 AM »
yeah, especially since the MP2 didn't do digital and no A/D at all,very bad thing made for schoeps or not all made for schoeps and if you see jamie tell him I'm mad he sold the SHIT to me!

The MP2 is not a SHIT preamp.  And the M1's ADC is reasonably good.  The MP2 is not the greatest, but it's a quality piece of gear.  Schoeps MK4/CMC6 > MP2 > M1 should have provided some quality recordings.  I'm still not sure exactly what problems you had or why (haven't heard any samples), but to blame it on Jamie is simply irresponsible, at best.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 10:44:10 AM »
Yeah, Jamie did tell me it had no A/D in it, but the whole reason I said that was because when a newbie to all of this "owning your own rig" he should have helped out better.  My recordings come out bad because I did just like he said, "run M1 at  5-6".  So I did.  I call another taper, obviously knows to run differently, and he said run at 9-10.  I did this and  just 2 weeks ago, I made a respectible tape.  But w/ V3 tapes can only get better from here!

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 10:48:19 AM »
perhaps the problem wasn't your preamp or a/d but something wrong with your mic setup?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 10:49:06 AM »
My recordings come out bad because I did just like he said, "run M1 at 5-6".

As we've discussed via PM, while it's preferable to run the M1 at wide open at 9-10, running it at 5-6 will not result in a significant loss of quality in the recording.  To the most golden of ears, maybe - otherwise, not.  If your recordings where noticeably worse at 5-6 v. 9-10, something else was going on other than simply the M1 Rec Level setting.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 10:49:58 AM »
Yeah, Jamie did tell me it had no A/D in it, but the whole reason I said that was because when a newbie to all of this "owning your own rig" he should have helped out better.  My recordings come out bad because I did just like he said, "run M1 at  5-6".  So I did.  I call another taper, obviously knows to run differently, and he said run at 9-10.  I did this and  just 2 weeks ago, I made a respectible tape.  But w/ V3 tapes can only get better from here!

hmmm, when I ran MP2> M1 if I ran the M1 over 5-6 I would get lotts of overs and distortion.
remember, the MP2 adds a minimum of 17db gain. most people run the MP2 as low as possible.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 10:54:05 AM by luvean »

the water's clean and innocent

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 10:51:22 AM »
the mp2 is not a bad piece of gear...alot of people like to bad mouth it, but I would venture to say that if you put them in a room and ran a A-B test between that and a variety of other preamps they couldnt tell the difference...the key with the MP2 is to run it as low as possible and the levels on the M1 as high as you can....

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 10:53:44 AM »
It's problably a better idea to make a recording at a better venue than a bar.  I did however start new recording at a wide open/high ceiling bar.  Just don't have time to go see nice shows since in last semester of school.  Panic is on the  way though!

JMC

Offline Tim

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 10:57:53 AM »
where do you live? There's got to be a local taper who can help you out...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.178 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com