Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: front speakers for arcam system?  (Read 5697 times)

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
Re:front speakers for arcam system?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2004, 07:17:16 PM »

The VR2's are still on the small side for my room, but they'll have to do, and I can upgrade later if need be.  Coming from ESLs, I think I wont notice a lack of anything as these suckers seem to drip the punch and impact i've been seeking (and not finding w/my Martin Logans).

I'll have them mid next week.
very anxious!

Do you think this might have to do with the power requirements and impedance curve of the Martin Logans?

Most electrostatic speakers are fairly low sensitivity with a low impedance, meaning you will need an amp that can pump out a lot of current driving a ~4 ohm load in order to get high playback levels.

I would think that in theory, and given a sufficiently powerful amp, planar speakers should have the capability for big time dynamics due to the large area of speaker surface that  is radiating sound.

Just a thought,
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:front speakers for arcam system?
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2004, 03:35:51 AM »

The VR2's are still on the small side for my room, but they'll have to do, and I can upgrade later if need be.  Coming from ESLs, I think I wont notice a lack of anything as these suckers seem to drip the punch and impact i've been seeking (and not finding w/my Martin Logans).

I'll have them mid next week.
very anxious!

Do you think this might have to do with the power requirements and impedance curve of the Martin Logans?

Most electrostatic speakers are fairly low sensitivity with a low impedance, meaning you will need an amp that can pump out a lot of current driving a ~4 ohm load in order to get high playback levels.

I would think that in theory, and given a sufficiently powerful amp, planar speakers should have the capability for big time dynamics due to the large area of speaker surface that  is radiating sound.

Just a thought,
Ben

just few notes on electrostats. i agree that they are harder to drive vs. regular speakers and you'll need an amp that can handle the challenge.  one drawback on electrostats is the lack of bass.  that's why many electrostats manufacturers will couple them with standard bass drivers. ML's are prime example.  electostats, due to their physical nature, simply can not move enough air alone to produce the SPL of normal drivers.

however, electrostats do create a very nice soundfield b/c of their bi-lateral dispersion.  so take your pick.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com