Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Grado SR225 vs. Sennheiser HD-580  (Read 10384 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Grado SR225 vs. Sennheiser HD-580
« on: January 25, 2004, 08:08:01 PM »
hey folks.
Up until now, I've spent all my $$$ on my recording gear, and I've decided that's it's time I start listening to my recordings on something better than those $20 speakers I picked up at Best Buy all those years ago...

I'm going to start with a nice set of headphones.  I am planning on getting a Grace 901 within the next 6 months or so (as that will take care of a real nice headphone amp, and a DAC in one unit).  but in the meantime, I've got to choose the headphones.  
I've narrowed it down to the Grado sr225 and the Sennheiser HD580.  
I've listened to both, although neither extensively, and, unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to do A/B comparisons.
I've read reviews, and it seems as though more people think the Sennheiser's are more comfortable, but some people prefer the Grado sound.

are there any obvious things that I'm missing.  Do any of you use either of these headphones?  Have any of you used both of these headphones?  any suggestions?  other things that I should think about?  any comments at all?

edit to say:  I am only planning on using these for home listening.  I don't need for them to be portable, I don't need them to monitor while at a show, I don't really need isolation, I just need some great sounding playback gear for my home :)

thanks
Jason
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 08:09:43 PM by JasonSobel »

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re:Grado SR225 vs. Sennheiser HD-580
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2004, 09:16:52 PM »
I've demoed both the HD-580 and the SR125, so that's as close a perspective as I can offer. I couldn't stand the Grados sitting ON my ears (as opposed to the senns around my ears). It annoyed me enough that I couldn't get comfortable listening. It was distracting. I guess some people aren't bothered by it or get used to it.

If you decide on the Senns, you might want to think about the 590s instead of the 580s b/c of the cord style. I've heard they're pretty much the same otherwise.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2004, 10:04:55 PM »
i tried out both and decided to get the sennheiser hd580s.  the grado headphones sounded nice but were very uncomfortable which ruled them out for me.  the sennheisers sounded great and were exteremely comfortable so for me it wasn't a tough decision at all.  i'd try to find a local hi-fi retailer and test out both and see which your ears prefer.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2004, 11:02:58 PM »
I have heard the "uncomfortable" argument for the Grados, but honestly after owning the SR80s for about a week...I have definitely gotten used to it...and actually prefer it...

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2004, 11:12:46 PM »
Jason, I'm kind of surprised you would drop a grand on a headphone pre.  seems like not the best place to start to me.  Why wouldnt you start with one of the denon 3803's and a nice pair of b&w's or similar speakers?  That would be well within the price range of just the grace 901 alone

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004, 07:05:53 AM »
I was wondering the same question.  If spending that much on a headphone pre I would check out the HD650's and I thought the SR325's were better than the 225's.  Could also look into the Ref 1's.  

Offline Wes

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004, 09:34:46 AM »
I personally like his decision to go the headphone route.  with the 901 he is going to have a good d/a along with a good amp (not something I would say about a <$1K Denon)..  Plus, he'll get better sound out of the headphones than those entry level b&ws.  
" Radio Shack md440zrs>high pass filter>whopper a>d "

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 10:01:25 AM »
It goes along the lines of better speakers vs. better components debate.  I say put equal stake in both and you can't go wrong.  If you fork out $5000 in speakers you best have another 5 to put into source components and a good grand for cables.  I don't think $10K speakers can be driven by a Denon and sound great.... If spending a fair amount on a 901, I'd think the extra $150-200 could be spent on the best headphones.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004, 10:48:14 AM »
thanks for the input so far, and keep those opinions coming.  my reasons for considering the headphone route more seriously than other playback gear are mostly issues of practicality.  I'm still living in an apartment, and my landlord lives next door.  Because of this, I can't play music too loud very often.  I also don't have a lot of extra space in my apartment, and if I were spending a lot of money on speakers and other playback gear, I know speaker placement can have a big impact on the sound.  at this point, all my playback gear is in my bedroom, and I don't have another room that I can dedicate to music listening....  someday :)  so in the meantime, I thought I could get real high quality, detailed listening with the 901 and some headphones...

If spending a fair amount on a 901, I'd think the extra $150-200 could be spent on the best headphones.
I've thought about this as well.  the thing is, both the hd580 and the grado sr225 are aound $200.  the Grado R1's are in the range of $650 to $700.  closer to $500 more than the sr225.  but perhaps I should consider the sr325's or the r2's, or the hd600 or hd650's as well.  offhand, I can't recall how much more the hd650's were compared to the 580's.

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2004, 10:49:45 AM »
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

jpschust

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2004, 10:59:33 AM »
ok i understand your reasoning to go with the 901, and its really a nice unit, but I think about it, personally, in terms of utilitarian functions.  Personally, I actually was going to get a 901 somwhere within the next few months, but then GD released the 904 and 906 monitor series (has the same circuitry apparently as the 901 for the headphone out on it) so that nixed that.  

Here is what I mean by the utilitarian function.  Part of the reason I have my home theatre setup is not just for my own listening, but I tend to entertain quite a bit.  OK all the damn time.  One of my passions outside of audio work is cooking and whatnot so most every night I've got people over here making meals or just hanging out and whatnot.  I much prefer to listen to music of any sort than have the TV on, unless hockey is on :-)  With a 901 I can't just pass out headphones, ya kno?  

As per getting a good D/A and good Amp and everything-- I think with some really good research you could get a nice, older D/A (ie DA1000) along with a nice amp (older Marantz or older Denon) and some pretty decent used speakers for about 12-1300 which is what you are looking at spending with those headphones and a 901.  

Again, I'm not knocking the 901- its a killer unit.  Just something to consider.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2004, 11:34:47 AM »
That'd be classic, though ... headphone distribution amp and pass out SR-60s or something to everyone! :lol:

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2004, 11:44:06 AM »
the 650's are $450.... so another $250 or so.  

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2004, 12:12:09 PM »
Ok, i've never heard the 225's, but both brands are known for their signature sound (at least the 580's, 600's and 650's for senn).   The 590's are an entirely different beast altogether.

Grado's: Bright, fatiguing, great for rock music, guitars and drums have a lot of "snap" to them.  Let me tell you, dave matthews band sound great with the Grado's (you can hear every squeak as dave shifts his hand on the fret of his acoustic guitar).   Best off with a warm amp (and maybe a amp with a dark signature sound?)  to match the Grado's to tame that mid and upper frequency boost.

Sennheisers: Veiled, hazy, laidback, upper bass bump, great for classical music but many peeps enjoy them with every kind of genre of music.  Complete opposite in sound characteristics compared to the Grado's.  Need a bright amp to match with this sucker.   However, tubes+senn cans work very well together.  My stock 580's+tube rolled Mg head sound very sweet indeed.

What it should come down to is what kind of sound do you prefer?  Also, make sure that Grace amp is a good match for either headphone.  I'm not familiar with the Grace amp myself but nothing sucks more than mismatching a headphone and an amp.  You might want to go lurk on head-fi for more info on that amp.  Hope that helps!
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2004, 12:15:04 PM »
The 590s are different? Can you explain more, gloco? I'd been told they were more or less like the 580s sound but with a different feel on your head and a cord on only one side. I've only seen pics, though.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com