Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: best sp/dif cable??  (Read 6100 times)

Offline digitalcandy926

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
best sp/dif cable??
« on: April 12, 2008, 08:46:20 PM »
wondering what high quality sp/dif cable's people use????  specifically for a microtrack

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
Re: best sp/dif cable??
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 09:44:27 PM »
Belden makes a good on3.

Check on ebay.  You can grab em for 0.99 cents.

I'm sure we could get into the whole my super-duper silver oxide/kevlar/braided spider silk cables sound better than yours do routine..but remember this SPDIF cable is just dropping electrical impulses about 3 ft to your microtrack. 

I'd stay for the cheapo's and have someone pr00ve you wrong on the quality of 1's and 0's being dropped to your MT

but just my 0.3 cents

K
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 09:53:04 PM »
I run a 300yen 0.5m 75ohm video cable from the UA-5 to the MT.  Cool thing about the cheapy is that I could cut the jacket around the connector sleeve of the plug and the make the connector fit perfectly into that flush coax jack that M-Audio poorly designed (there is like 0.5mm of space around the jack, no shit!).

I'd concentrate on your analog connections.

Offline mblindsey

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 12:13:00 AM »
I went for the http://kindkables.com S/PDIF cable for the link between my V3 and MT II.  I wouldn't make the claim that it sounds any better than cheaper cables, but it seems like it is built for years of use and I paid extra for something that I don't think I'll ever have to buy again.  Also, I like the right angle ends.

--Michael
Mics:  Microtech Gefell m200/M20/nBob Actives>PFA, CA-11
Pre's: USB Pre2, 1x V3, 2x V3 w/optimod, MP2, Church Ugly
Decks: SD MixPre 6 II, R44 Oade Concert Mod, M10
Playback: Grace m9xx->Sen HD 650, Fostex TH-X00, HIFIMAN HEXX
Mixing: RME Fireface UFX->Reaper/Izotope->Yamaha HS8

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 04:43:53 PM »
Apogee Wyde Eye
A little spendy but it fits the MT just right
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 03:27:08 PM »
i used a hosa

as you prob know some will not fit the mt without cutting the plastic and/or shaving the power cable of a external battery

hosa fits the mt, but you need to shave the power cable to fit both
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline digitalcandy926

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 08:57:56 PM »
I got a belden spdif cable, but it doesn't seem like the connection is snug to the microtrack....... I see on the back of my preamp that the spdif output is protruding out a bit, where as the MT input is not protruding.    What's going on here???  thanks

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 09:11:49 PM »
I got a belden spdif cable, but it doesn't seem like the connection is snug to the microtrack....... I see on the back of my preamp that the spdif output is protruding out a bit, where as the MT input is not protruding.    What's going on here???  thanks

This is exactly why I reccomend a cheap cable that has a plastic jacket around the jack you can cut.  If you cut the jacket to the depth of the coax jack, the plug will will fit the socket perfectly.  The issue I see here is not the quality of the cable but rather the quality of the connection.  You can spend hundreds of dollars on the cable and, I bet, never find the jack that will fit the socket on the MT, while many a cheapo cable will have a cheap plastic covering which will you to 'customize' your plug to fit that horriblly designed recessed jack/socket that M-Audio hatched up (again, the problem is not that it is recessed, it is the space around the socket to fit the outer metal jacket on your plug!).  Look for a video connect (it is exactly the same specifications as a digital coax cable).  Go to stores and hunt for it....there are many places!

Offline digitalcandy926

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 09:21:06 PM »
thanks man.... weird because my cable was only $7....... any specific name brands or stores to get them at????

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 12:30:36 AM »
I went for the http://kindkables.com S/PDIF cable for the link between my V3 and MT II.  I wouldn't make the claim that it sounds any better than cheaper cables, but it seems like it is built for years of use and I paid extra for something that I don't think I'll ever have to buy again.  Also, I like the right angle ends.

--Michael
same here too, just gumbino made me nice Hi Ho cable.  no better sound im sure but a cable that will out last most. 
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 10:13:49 AM »
thanks man.... weird because my cable was only $7....... any specific name brands or stores to get them at????
I think everyone's advice is "use the cheap cable you have, and make it fit like you want it to".  Take a file, dremel, pocket knife, whatever you have, and cut some plastic excess off the outer casing until it fits the MT.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 01:33:41 PM »
There are two minor issues with the MT S/PDIF connector:

<1>  If one connects an external power source to the USB plug, there sometimes isn't room to accommodate the outer casing of both the S/PDIF connector and USB plug.  In this instance, finding connectors with smaller casings, or simply shaving down the outer casing on one or both of the connectors, will resolve the problem.

<2>  The MT has a narrow / thin "ring slot" into which the outer ring of the male RCA inserts.  Some RCA-male connectors have a ring that is simply too wide to fit into the ring slot.  Unless one hacks the MT ring slot (ugly and potentially damaging) or the RCA-male ring itself (how one might thin down the ring, I haven't the foggiest idea), no amount of tweaking will fix the problem.  The only real solution is to find a S/PDIF cable that uses a thinnish ring on the RCA-male connector.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 03:29:32 PM »
Look for a video connect (it is exactly the same specifications as a digital coax cable).  Go to stores and hunt for it....there are many places!

Is this true? Cheap video cables tend to be more much more flexible then regular digital coax cables.
Retired Taper

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 09:10:48 AM »
Video cable is the same spec as coax. I have used video cables for spdif for years without issue. Many of the nicer retail video cable brands are more flexible than most high end coax cables and this makes them work more easily in the field.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline grayp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If I was a cactus I wouldn't need so much water
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 08:14:34 AM »
Video cable is the same spec as coax. I have used video cables for spdif for years without issue. Many of the nicer retail video cable brands are more flexible than most high end coax cables and this makes them work more easily in the field.

when i saw this thread i remembered a long time ago, rob showwalter used to carry around a powered spdif cable.   never really understood the powered cable but i would assume its better :)
Akg 480/ck61/ck62/ck63 (a61 swivels if fob)->m148->722

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 01:35:19 AM »
Look for a video connect (it is exactly the same specifications as a digital coax cable).  Go to stores and hunt for it....there are many places!

Is this true? Cheap video cables tend to be more much more flexible then regular digital coax cables.

i've always heard you can use the yellow rca video component cable for s/pdif. they're both rated at 75 ohm, correct?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.166 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com