Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cheap Radio Shack mini to mini cable cause for static/noise spike?  (Read 2869 times)

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Los Bulls!!!
I taped a few acts from the Mile High Music Festival and noticed in Cool Edit Pro that there are spikes in the wave forms. It was a non-taping festival so it had to be with the stealth gear. Tough to keep people from bumping into me thus bumping the recorder. I'm under the impression that the cheap ass 1/8" to 1/8" cable I got from Radio Shack is the culprit. Connecting the 9100 pre to the MTII. Everything else sounds good (wind noise here and there) but the spikes really make it suck. Not bad that it isn't worth sharing, just bothers me.

Would that be a good assumption that the cable is at fault? I'm glad I'm getting my good cable sent to me here soon. That's what I get for assuming a cheap $4 cable will do in the mean time.

I know this would be appropriate in another forum but...can the spike be "tamed" a little bit so it's not so bad? It only appears in one channel (most of the time). And I'd say it appeared about 5 times during John Mayer's set and <10 times during DMB. So definitely salvageable, just annoying as hell.
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Cheap Radio Shack mini to mini cable cause for static/noise spike?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 11:29:10 PM »
I'm not sure if I'd blame the cable. You could set everything up like you did there and tap it to see if you replicate it.

FWIW, I run 4060>MMA6000>Cheap $4 Radio Shack mini-mini>JB3 for my stealth rig, and have never had a problem that wasn't operator error.

Usually operator error has meant that I didn't have a good connection from that cable (due to not pushing it in far enough). That may have been your problem.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 09:17:29 AM »
I taped a few acts from the Mile High Music Festival and noticed in Cool Edit Pro that there are spikes in the wave forms. It was a non-taping festival so it had to be with the stealth gear. Tough to keep people from bumping into me thus bumping the recorder. I'm under the impression that the cheap ass 1/8" to 1/8" cable I got from Radio Shack is the culprit. Connecting the 9100 pre to the MTII. Everything else sounds good (wind noise here and there) but the spikes really make it suck. Not bad that it isn't worth sharing, just bothers me.

Would that be a good assumption that the cable is at fault? I'm glad I'm getting my good cable sent to me here soon. That's what I get for assuming a cheap $4 cable will do in the mean time.

I know this would be appropriate in another forum but...can the spike be "tamed" a little bit so it's not so bad? It only appears in one channel (most of the time). And I'd say it appeared about 5 times during John Mayer's set and <10 times during DMB. So definitely salvageable, just annoying as hell.

Hello,

I´ve had similar problems in the past with 1/8" connectors. 99% of the time it was operator error ( I love that one  ;)). Right now I always use adhesive tape to make sure the connectors won't move or rotate, so to speak, inside the jack.
Good luck  ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:53:26 AM »
One of the problems that can come up with 1/8 connectors is that they can transfer the oil from your skin to the jack inside your gear, if you aren't careful not to touch the male 1/8 part...  then when the cable twists it can introduce noise.  This is especially true if you have power present, which you do.

That would be my guess bet!  Hard knocks with a MD recorder taught me....  Well, that and Guysonc's website....

So....  get some 91% alcohol from the drugstore, 72% has too many impurities, and a gum brush made by GUM (Butler), OralB, whatever you have locally....   Clean the cable ends, then use the brush to clean the jack, holding your 9100 upside down so the alcohol doesn't run freely inside the case....  This HAS worked for me when I had similar problems, cheap cable or expensive cable, doesn't matter!  You can also check the http://sonicstudios.com/tips.htm page. 

As for the files being fixed, why don't you break out a sample error (to mp3), and start a new thread in computer recording help section and post a link here to that thread.  You only really need to post a very short example if all the errors sound similar.

Good luck!
Joe
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 09:58:42 AM by bugg100 »

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 10:52:04 AM »
One of the problems that can come up with 1/8 connectors is that they can transfer the oil from your skin to the jack inside your gear, if you aren't careful not to touch the male 1/8 part...  then when the cable twists it can introduce noise.  This is especially true if you have power present, which you do.

That would be my guess bet!  Hard knocks with a MD recorder taught me....  Well, that and Guysonc's website....

So....  get some 91% alcohol from the drugstore, 72% has too many impurities, and a gum brush made by GUM (Butler), OralB, whatever you have locally....   Clean the cable ends, then use the brush to clean the jack, holding your 9100 upside down so the alcohol doesn't run freely inside the case....  This HAS worked for me when I had similar problems, cheap cable or expensive cable, doesn't matter!  You can also check the http://sonicstudios.com/tips.htm page. 

As for the files being fixed, why don't you break out a sample error (to mp3), and start a new thread in computer recording help section and post a link here to that thread.  You only really need to post a very short example if all the errors sound similar.

Good luck!
Joe

Second that. Guysonic site is excellent for great recording tips.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 07:58:37 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions! I checked my Petty show and it turned out just right. But the shows I taped Sunday all have some spikes going on. I'll have to clean up the connections and run a test.

Round of T's  ;D
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com