Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dual 1/4" and 3.5mm Plug?  (Read 4660 times)

Offline DavidNJ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Dual 1/4" and 3.5mm Plug?
« on: July 13, 2011, 04:23:17 AM »
I've seen plugs that have a 1/4" plug that screws over the 3.5mm plug. It is on my Sony MDR7506 headphone, and on some cables I have.

However, I've looked in the Neutrik, Switchcraft, and Amphenol catalogs and can't find it.

Is this part available? Who makes it? Who sells it?

Thanks,

David

P.S.
Splitter cables (e.g. dual RCA to single TRS) often have a plastic cover over the split. What are these plastic covers called, who makes them, and where can you buy them?

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
Re: Dual 1/4" and 3.5mm Plug?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 06:12:25 AM »
Hey David,

in my experience (and I've been professionally making infrastructure for 20 years) this 3.5 > 6.3mm adaptor arrangement is not available off the shelf.

It seems to be a part you only see as part of a premade lead-set.

It's not something I would consider using in a critical signal-carrying situation; I would carry both types of lead and interchange as required. It's fine for headphones though. If you feel you have an application for such a thing I would recommend buying a donor pair of cans and discarding the headphones themselves to get the lead-set.

The plastic cover to which you refer at the split of y-leads is either a sleeve (my preferred choice) or a small section of heatshrink.

http://cpc.farnell.com/_/a2x20mm/neoprene-3-0mm-black-sleeve/dp/CB02285?Ntt=CB0+2285

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/hs401/heatshrink-sleeving-4-1-6mm-1-2m/dp/CB10013

JimP
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline DavidNJ

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 11:27:10 AM »
Thanks for the answer although it is disappointing.

I've seen the tail run out of a connector as sort of a daisy chain. The heat shrink would cover the wires but wouldn't add mechanical strength. I was hoping to run it as a 6mm breakout cable from the RCA stereo outputs, merged onto a 6mm cable 3.5mm stereo jack, where it would be mounted with an attenuation insert cable to the camera. The headphone cable would split the headphone output  with a 1/4" TRS to a local TRS-F and a cable wrapped with the line out cable terminating in a 1/4" TRS F.

The net would be a breakaway cable from a Tascam DR-680 to a Canon HDSLR.

I also have some cables that had the 1/4" TRS or TS screwed on to the 3.5mm and have misplaced the 1/4" part. I was hoping to get the connectors to replace them. If they aren't available, I won't be able to. Using 1/4" male to 3.5mm female adapters without the screw adds another failure point. In one case the output was 2 TS connectors from a stereo mic. The recorder used had 3.5mm TS inputs and the original screw on adapters have been misplaced. I was going to make cables where the TS was adapted to TRS with the ring not connected rather than route the shield to minus; that appears to be how the older Sennheiser wireless cable is also made.

kirk97132

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 12:07:41 PM »
I just want to input a bit of advice that often gets forgotten.  The more connections the more places failure can occur and the more places to try and troubleshoot when there is an issue.   Frankensteining cables together should be a last resort in the field type of choice.  "Daisy chains" can impart signal in any direction so something down the chain can feed back up the chain and crap all over everything else since it is not a passive connection.  David I just see you posting a lot about connectors and assorted types of related things lately.  While it is advisable to carry a huge assortment of all kinds of adapters(and I do) to ensure no issues in the field, plan on things being as clean and as standard as possible to minimize the risks of issues

Offline DavidNJ

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 03:29:52 PM »
I'm putting together cables to try and minimize the connections...but not always possible.

The simplest are XLR balanced mics. However, the DR-680 uses TRS inputs for two of its 6 phantom powered lines. Since I don't like pulling out hot TRS connections, I'll probably put a 1/4" TRS jack to XLR female in.

Then it gets interesting.

My lav is setup for a Sennheiser EW100 which took a unbalanced TRS input with the ring disconnected. I've bought an adapter from Naiant for that to connect directly when needed.

I have a AT825 stereo mic that has a short 3.5mm TRS stereo output or a longer cable I bought a few years ago with dual 3.5mm mono TR output. I'll need to make a new cable there. I guess it could be a new cable with a 3-pin XLR Stereo to dual unbalanced XLRs.

The Soundman OKM has a 3.5mm stereo output but requires either its inline battery power or to a connector that takes dual phantom powered XLR output and a 3.5mm TRS jack input. I have that.

I was also running a cable through my boom pole. I did take apart an old Belkin cable and run it through...worked fine. I'm planning to replace it with Gepco MP1022 24AWG mic cable. That needs to be 16-20'.

Other than that I'll need extensions for some of the 3.5mm TRS connectors, and wanted to use the MP1022 for increased strength over the typical cable used with 3.5mm. However, I'm having a bit of trouble finding connectors with strain relief that can handle the 5mm cable. The Neutrik 1/4" cable jacks and plugs with strain relief seem very expensive. I haven't found the 3.5mm connectors that take the larger cable and have strain relief. For the 3.5mm it would be Neutrik NYS231L plug and NYS240L jack without strain relief.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 03:56:43 PM »
Since I don't like pulling out hot TRS connections, I'll probably put a 1/4" TRS jack to XLR female in.

Why not simply switch off phantom power to channels 5&6 on the DR680 before disconnecting?  That is best practice using an XLR connection as well, especially with less robust semi-pro gear.

I just modified two mic cables yesterday for a gig last night, replacing the XLR males with 1/4" TRS plugs for use into channels 5&6 of my DR680.  I had not labled the TRS ends and accidentally reversed cables at that end when setting up.  Once I powered up to check everything and noticed the issue, I simply switched off phantom on 5/6, waited a few moments for the Voltage to dissapate, switched the cables at the recorder's TRS inputs, then switched phantom back on.

No electrons or electrical components were abused during the recording of the performance.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 01:04:58 AM »
The sony part is nice as it screws on, however the 3.5mm to 1/4" TRS adaptor isn't that hard to find.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/405054-REG/Pro_Co_Sound_CC_343PC_343PC_Female_Stereo_Mini.html

other similar adaptors are at the start of this list

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&Ntt=1%2F8%22+to+1%2F4%22+headphone&N=0&srtclk=sort

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com