Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mil Spec Silver Cable Question  (Read 47711 times)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mil Spec Silver Cable Question
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 12:44:42 AM »
seriously? 

There must be thousands of feet of this wire in use by TS members.  Have you noticed a lot of people bitching?  I haven't.

I actually have some here.. I made the mistake of using it as my interface cable between my computer and my preamp test bench. Where I unplug and plug in about 10-15 preamps a day for testing, with in about 2 months the cable failed the insulation broke down near the connector and the cable it self broke at the solder joint..

I feel this cable is NOT suitable for mobile applications requiring high amounts of flexibility.. I prefer to use a cable with a rubber sheath or neoprene. But not Teflon. Nobody uses a cable with a stiff jacket for mobile applications, that's why we have rubber in the first place.. Installed in an equipment rack, I am sure this cable is fine. But when flexed continuously it fails at a much quicker rate then the Mogami cable it had replaced.... I was not trying to upset anyone its just an observation I have had over continuous use. If you baby your cables and they are made from this product, I am sure they will last a long time. But if you dont they will fail much faster then any rubber or neoprene jacket cable out there.

I can see I have upset a few people here because of the -T'S I have been getting man, if we cant speak our minds with out getting -T'S what the hell.. I am not in the cable business.. I am not trying to sell cables.. But if I was I would not be using this wire for any application involving continuous movement.. So whoever is giving me
-T's for trying to help people here go right ahead. I stand by my personal/professional observations of this cable type.

Chris
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 12:48:57 AM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 07:17:51 AM »
-Ts fall line rain on me as of late.  Ahh well.  what can you do.
my count has been rocking back and forth for a couple months now.  seems I just can't score good karma these days.
aaahhh well. 
Karma's a bitch.  and she can blow me.

are you talking about the gold kapton wire I sent you ? or the white jacket millspec stuff?
the "plane crash" is the kapton.  I use it for ICs.

I've not had any fail on me.  and i've had maybe 3 or 4 "fixes" in the time i've been making these.  mostly due to broken wires at the pins.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 07:20:37 AM by Nick's Picks »

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 09:11:23 AM »
-Ts fall line rain on me as of late.  Ahh well.  what can you do.
my count has been rocking back and forth for a couple months now.  seems I just can't score good karma these days.
aaahhh well. 
Karma's a bitch.  and she can blow me.

are you talking about the gold kapton wire I sent you ? or the white jacket millspec stuff?
the "plane crash" is the kapton.  I use it for ICs.

I've not had any fail on me.  and i've had maybe 3 or 4 "fixes" in the time i've been making these.  mostly due to broken wires at the pins.

The kapton wire is fine.. The white stuff I purchased from ebay * the exact same cable * that was shown in the beginning of this thread was the cable I was talking about. The cable you sent me is being used for my test mic. And it never gets moved, I have never had a problem with it. But when you use that white cable listed in the ebay add.. It breaks down.. very easily and I would not recommend it for applications requiring plugging and unplugging and flexing all the time.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 10:58:52 AM »
so by plane crash wire you mean teflon covering?
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 12:00:16 PM »
You guys are confusing issues here.  The silver clad mil spec wire is perfectly fine for our applications, as demonstrated most notably by the Audio Magic Hyper Conductors line of cables.  This is the basis of design for all the silver clad copper cables found on TS.com.  Of these the BBee, Hydra, Dogstar, Busilver, Hi Ho Silver lines, there are hundreds of users that have been using this material for 3 to 4 years without issue.  This demonstrates it's success rate.  Granted, there are users that abuse their cables and have issues.

The teflon jacket is not rigid.  It flexes and gives a needed.  However, the tape wrapped vs extruded teflon is thinner and more susceptible to penetration; thus, one reason for techflex.  The tape type is several layers thick and not delicate by any means, but can be cut or nicked, which will expose the shield.  The techflex aids in prevention.

From my experience with this material, it sounds like your problems with the material stem from inadequate strain relief at the connector since your issues are isolated to the teflon at the connector or the wire breaking at the solder joint.  The diameter of this cable combined with the fact that teflon is extremely slick make the strain relief even more important than traditional canare type cable.  Without this protection the stress is transfered to the solder joint as the cable is pulled or as the cable rotates/twists inside the connector.

Not knocking any T's, just trying to share my experiences so folks aren't confused.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 12:13:55 PM »
the "plane crash" wire is the Kapton.
not the white stuff.

it might bring planes down, but it moves electrons like a motherfucker.
:)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 12:30:52 PM »
You guys are confusing issues here.  The silver clad mil spec wire is perfectly fine for our applications, as demonstrated most notably by the Audio Magic Hyper Conductors line of cables.  This is the basis of design for all the silver clad copper cables found on TS.com.  Of these the BBee, Hydra, Dogstar, Busilver, Hi Ho Silver lines, there are hundreds of users that have been using this material for 3 to 4 years without issue.  This demonstrates it's success rate.  Granted, there are users that abuse their cables and have issues.

The teflon jacket is not rigid.  It flexes and gives a needed.  However, the tape wrapped vs extruded teflon is thinner and more susceptible to penetration; thus, one reason for techflex.  The tape type is several layers thick and not delicate by any means, but can be cut or nicked, which will expose the shield.  The techflex aids in prevention.

From my experience with this material, it sounds like your problems with the material stem from inadequate strain relief at the connector since your issues are isolated to the teflon at the connector or the wire breaking at the solder joint.  The diameter of this cable combined with the fact that teflon is extremely slick make the strain relief even more important than traditional canare type cable.  Without this protection the stress is transfered to the solder joint as the cable is pulled or as the cable rotates/twists inside the connector.

Not knocking any T's, just trying to share my experiences so folks aren't confused.

I have soldered 1000,s of cables in my life time.. I have never had any issues with Neoprene or rubber jacketed cable... So I would disagree with your analysis.. The plain and simple truth of the mater if this stiff jacket cable was never designed to be used in a portable application, I suspect it was used because it was cheap and on the surplus market.. But its not designed for applications that require hi flex cycles. Furthermore if it was so "durable" why spend money on techflex to protect it?

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 01:54:18 PM »
you're right.
this wire was designed for internally mounted comunications equipment.
It is built to work, even if your A4-Intruder is on fire and going down. (I actually had a 1000' roll of A4 wire...).

it is not meant for portable apps.  true true true.
but, it is designed to be VERY temp resistant and durable.  Above all, it is made to move electrons, in style.
and it certainly does so.

the teflon tape covering is not going to hold up like a fat rubber coating (Van Der Hul!!!), but techflex is not all that expensive and the extra $7 spent to cover your wires makes them look pretty AND add to their longevity.

my point...
it works.
now, go back to what you were doing and stop killing our wire niche w/your crazy facts!
;-)
Don't you have transformers to work on ?

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 02:29:01 PM »
The wire came in the mail a few minutes ago and looks pretty good.
It's way more flexible then I thought it would be. It should make some nice cables.

I'd like to thank Chris for coming up with a name for my cables.

4022 > "Plane Crash Silvers" cables > Portico 5012 > "Plane Crash Silvers" ICs >722

;D
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 02:29:14 PM »
you're right.
this wire was designed for internally mounted comunications equipment.
It is built to work, even if your A4-Intruder is on fire and going down. (I actually had a 1000' roll of A4 wire...).

it is not meant for portable apps.  true true true.
but, it is designed to be VERY temp resistant and durable.  Above all, it is made to move electrons, in style.
and it certainly does so.

the teflon tape covering is not going to hold up like a fat rubber coating (Van Der Hul!!!), but techflex is not all that expensive and the extra $7 spent to cover your wires makes them look pretty AND add to their longevity.

my point...
it works.
now, go back to what you were doing and stop killing our wire niche w/your crazy facts!
;-)
Don't you have transformers to work on ?

Preamps actually  :P

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 02:30:42 PM »
The wire came in the mail a few minutes ago and looks pretty good.
It's way more flexible then I thought it would be. It should make some nice cables.

I'd like to thank Chris for coming up with a name for my cables.

4022 > "Plane Crash Silvers" cables > Portico 5012 > "Plane Crash Silvers" ICs >722

;D

FAA-Plane crash 100's :)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 02:46:02 PM »
maybe this plane crash wire is the secrete to akg actives hmmmmm ;D
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2007, 03:24:46 PM »

I'll just echo what Matt and others have said here.  Chris may have not had a good experience with this type of wire, but plenty of others have.  Not knocking Chris or diminishing his personal experience, but I don't agree with the generalization that milspec silver cables are fragile. 

I think Matt may be off base a bit with the idea that the Hyperconductors have demonstrated the usefullness of mil-spec silverclad/teflon cable in our applications -- I think they've been demonstrated not only by them but also by all the silver-clad cables sold and used on ts.com.  I don't have my records here right now, but I think I personally sold 3500-4000' of cables, meaning several hundred pairs of cables. 

I have sold numerous sets of cables to people who do sound work for bands, and who set up and tear down their Dogstar cables on a nightly basis -- they certainly aren't babying them!  My Dogstars have held up fine and have not shown themselves to be fragile. 

And by the way, I don't make cables anymore, so I'm not saying this to fluff my cables or get sales.  Just wanted to put my two cents in so folks who are cable shopping don't give up on the options on ts.com for getting some good sounding cables at a good price.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 03:57:56 PM »
And by the way, I don't make cables anymore, so I'm not saying this to fluff my cables or get sales.  Just wanted to put my two cents in so folks who are cable shopping don't give up on the options on ts.com for getting some good sounding cables at a good price.
I am sorry to hear you don't make cables any more but I am sure my cables you made for me will be around for a long time and they still look brand new after over a year of use.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007, 10:20:19 PM »
For the twenty cents a foot I would rather by the Canare Star Quad.  It is designed to be used as audio mic cable, it is supple and can be coiled easily and has a proven track record.  If mic cable fails just once in a session you know it will be the one session you "had" to have.  I am going to eliminate that chance of failure for twenty cents a foot.  As usual, YMMV
Nov schmoz kapop.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com