Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mil Spec Silver Cable Question  (Read 47710 times)

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
Re: Mil Spec Silver Cable Question
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2007, 09:41:37 AM »
i use shoe strings and duct tape to interconnect my components.
i wanna hear those comps!
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2007, 10:41:45 AM »
i use shoe strings and duct tape to interconnect my components.
silver duct tape?
currently i have black, blends into the stand good but prob not good for interconnects ;)
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2007, 11:50:26 AM »
Might as well use twist ties. The cable shown on the first page doesn't have any shield; appears to be 3 conductor wire for permanent installation, in conduit.
You think this wire sounds better? Some people think tube mics sound better, but they have more distortion. Maybe what you are hearing is more distortion and you think it's better, because it's different.
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline Tim

« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2007, 11:51:52 AM »
::)

hell I even use a tube AMP so I must be freaking deaf

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2007, 11:52:34 AM »
Maybe what you are hearing is more distortion and you think it's better, because it's different.

Have you actually done any extensive cable testing or are you just spouting fluff?

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2007, 12:49:16 PM »
Might as well use twist ties. The cable shown on the first page doesn't have any shield <snip>

??? Huh?  The cable from ebay referenced at the beginning of the thread very clearly has a braided silver (silver-coated copper) shield.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2007, 12:52:07 PM »
??? Huh?  The cable from ebay referenced at the beginning of the thread very clearly has a braided silver (silver-coated copper) shield.

I was just about to link to the huge pic that clearly shows the shield but I think he's just trolling.

I wonder if he even knows what wire capacitance is.

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2007, 06:42:44 PM »
Might as well use twist ties. The cable shown on the first page doesn't have any shield; appears to be 3 conductor wire for permanent installation, in conduit.
You think this wire sounds better? Some people think tube mics sound better, but they have more distortion. Maybe what you are hearing is more distortion and you think it's better, because it's different.
::)

hell I even use a tube AMP so I must be freaking deaf

distortion in tube gear is even harmonic distortion which has been described as "musical" or "pleasing to the ears" by many people over the years.  the parts in a original neumann u47 aren't as "up to spec" as the newer model but many still love the older model better.  they might have more noise or distortion but people love that sound.

no real point....just sayin'

Offline Tim

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2007, 06:48:41 PM »
yep, there's a lot of interesting articles out there on the interweb which discuss harmonic distortion and tube amps. I don't care how it measures, I just want it to sound good ;D

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2007, 07:28:22 PM »
for fun I've been A/Bing two different types of mil spec silver interconnects between my DAC and amp today, both built by members of this board... there is an audible difference.

In one the upper mids and high end sound very squashed. These are the interconnects I have been using for some time now and the upper mids have bothered me for a while. The other pair lift the veil on the upper mids and have much more air in the high end.

that's just the effect on the upper end of the spectrum... I haven't listened critically for the bass. The soundstage seems to have noticeable more depth and height which I suppose is a result of the cleaned up upper mids and high end

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2007, 07:54:49 PM »
for fun I've been A/Bing two different types of mil spec silver interconnects between my DAC and amp today, both built by members of this board... there is an audible difference.

In one the upper mids and high end sound very squashed. These are the interconnects I have been using for some time now and the upper mids have bothered me for a while. The other pair lift the veil on the upper mids and have much more air in the high end.

that's just the effect on the upper end of the spectrum... I haven't listened critically for the bass. The soundstage seems to have noticeable more depth and height which I suppose is a result of the cleaned up upper mids and high end

I want to do this someday.
I don't have a high end playback system. I have never been able to hear a difference in the sound of cables.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »

What is the difference?  Same cable, connectors, construction?
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Tim

« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2007, 09:44:59 PM »

I want to do this someday.
I don't have a high end playback system. I have never been able to hear a difference in the sound of cables.

Chuck, you're always welcome to drop by my place when you're up here in Denver.

I think my amp and DAC are relatively high end, my speakers are pretty mid-grade but I enjoy listening to them. If you buy used you can really stretch your dollars.

The difference between copper and silver was more dramatic than this difference from what I recall. I became a silver convert pretty quickly.

What is the difference?  Same cable, connectors, construction?

they are leegeddy and Segue cables, you'd have to ask the makers what the differences are. These are very early Segue cables too so maybe Todd has changed the formula. Sorry I don't have more info.

Offline George2

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2007, 11:43:36 AM »
People like distortion, makes the sound bigger... it's just a sound illusion. Many rockers love distorted  stuff.......... That's what these cables are doing. They don't have much flex life either, teflon jacket is made for pulling through conduit.
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2007, 11:55:35 AM »
People like distortion, makes the sound bigger... it's just a sound illusion. Many rockers love distorted  stuff.......... That's what these cables are doing. They don't have much flex life either, teflon jacket is made for pulling through conduit.

Many of us record acoustic and non-PA material...

Repeating my earlier question, what cables have you actually tested?   Why say a cable is not shielded when the pic of the shield fills your screen?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com