Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for quality XLR cable  (Read 8445 times)

Offline mmadd29

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep
Looking for quality XLR cable
« on: October 10, 2007, 10:47:48 AM »
Hi all,
I'm looking to buy some 6 foot male to female XLR cables.  I would like good quality, I bought my 25 footers at Guitar Center and would like something better than their stuff.  I have looked around, but have no idea what is good quality, and need recommendations.  BTW, I want to buy them not make them, cause I don't think I can do the quality job i'm looking for.

Thanks
Superlux CM-H8K > UA5 > iriver h120 > Wave Labs > EAC

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Looking for quality XLR cable
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 12:02:40 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,92171.0.html
i have not used his cables but i know lots of people are using silver cables now and he has some stuff for sale or might be able to make what you want exatly
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 06:25:44 PM »
I'll be happy to make some mic cables for you. PM me and let me know what you need.

Don't buy Guitar Center cables....they are junk. Upgrading to silver clads made a huge difference in the sound of my recordings (and my playback system too) for not much more money. You get what you pay for.

See that link in the previous post for prices and specs. I'd say 6 footers (weird length for taping) would run about 75$ a pair shipped and insured.

oscoastierob's cables go out tomorrow if you want to PM him and ask how they look.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 06:46:41 PM »
I've got a set of 9' HiHo Silver XLR cables with custom shorty RA on each end that I could let go.  I think I paid $180 for them, but I would sell at a nice discount...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 06:54:25 PM »

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 07:05:05 PM »
I've got a set of 9' HiHo Silver XLR cables with custom shorty RA on each end that I could let go.  I think I paid $180 for them, but I would sell at a nice discount...

I'd love to sell you a pair but.....I'd get these stubbies if I were you.
I don't know how many xlr connectors I've ruined trying to get the epoxy right.

and Fred W III did provide us with the '07 sarcasm of the year "shittin in the gear bag" quote.
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 04:16:55 AM »
You may also want to PM bdesliva.  He makes HQ silver cables at a very resonable price.  I have a set of 15' and 20' that I am very happy with.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline oscoastierob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Go tape SLM
    • oscoastierob's facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 09:26:52 PM »
I'll be happy to make some mic cables for you. PM me and let me know what you need.

Don't buy Guitar Center cables....they are junk. Upgrading to silver clads made a huge difference in the sound of my recordings (and my playback system too) for not much more money. You get what you pay for.

See that link in the previous post for prices and specs. I'd say 6 footers (weird length for taping) would run about 75$ a pair shipped and insured.

oscoastierob's cables go out tomorrow if you want to PM him and ask how they look.

Got my cables in the mail today. They're fantastic, thanks.
Peluso CEMC-6 /CK2, CK4, CK21, CK41-> Hydra Silver XLRs-> XTC silver interconnects-> UA-5 BM2p+ mod-> SPDIF-> R4

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 01:08:24 AM »
FWIW Canare Starquad is good enough to please the ears of mastering engineers.  We have to do a blind shootout in the studio though and see if the silvers actually sound any better or if it's a placebo effect (like many other audio things).
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 01:24:30 AM »
FWIW Canare Starquad is good enough to please the ears of mastering engineers.  We have to do a blind shootout in the studio though and see if the silvers actually sound any better or if it's a placebo effect (like many other audio things).

I agree.  But, modulo the wire, you should get good connectors (Neutrix), and good build quality (eg., techflex the pair together).

Oh yeah, I discovered a really nice "siamese" cable (two cables joined together, looks like a thick lampcord).  Look for "MG-3106 - Mogami 3106 Dual Channel Audio Cable".  Gotta get more of this stuff...
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 07:02:07 PM »
Mogami makes some quality stuff too.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline BL

• Taperssection Newbie
  • beauty resists capture
    • Magic Garden Mastering
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 03:40:21 AM »

I tried to PM but I may be too new here to do it.   I need 2 x 15', XLRf right angle to XLRm.  Pay with PP.

Please email me:
brian@magicgardenmastering.com

thanks,
Brian Lucey
Mastering Engineer

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 05:11:49 PM »
I think if you folks knew how quick and easy it is to make XLR interconnects you would be making them yourselves.  Get the Neutrik solderless connectors.  Twenty minutes, max, and you have set.  I use Canare and the solderless Neutriks.  If I can do it anyone can.  8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 05:21:37 PM »

yeah just my opinion, but it's not that any silver/silver clad cable is going to sound "better" than a well made copper quad/two conductor cable.   It will sound different absolutely, but *better* is VERY subjective.    One might like the silver with the mics/other gear one is running, but switch the mics and one might like the copper better..      or vice versa.   Your playback method will also fine tune a decision on copper vs. silver/silverclad..

IMO.. using copper will never make/break the quality of a recording...   just matters what your "taste" is in sonic quality..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 12:08:13 AM »
I think if you folks knew how quick and easy it is to make XLR interconnects you would be making them yourselves.  Get the Neutrik solderless connectors.  Twenty minutes, max, and you have set.  I use Canare and the solderless Neutriks.  If I can do it anyone can.  8)

These solderless Neutriks are intended for field repair/fabrication/quick fix for when a soldering iron is unavailable.
Do not take this advice unless you want an inferior cable.
Learn to solder or buy from someone who can.
I'm not trolling for an argument....i just wanted to point this out since it's in a thread called "quality XLR cable"

The band I work for keeps bunches of these for when we run short of xlrs for the lighting rig. We don't trust them for sound.

edit: I'm not condemning these solderless connectors. They will make a cable that passes music from one end to the other and are a cheap, easy solution.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 02:37:18 PM by goodcooker »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com