Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: GoPro question/alternatives to GoPro  (Read 5453 times)

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
GoPro question/alternatives to GoPro
« on: March 23, 2017, 04:23:54 PM »
Local band, Andy Coe Band wants to start videoing their shows. Got a call from their bass player with some questions.

1. The GoPro purchased records in 12 minute chunks. Are there any frames lost during the split?
2. If the GoPro turns out to not be suitable, they are looking for alternatives, it needs either app or remote control, and to be able to record two hours sets, with total show time being 3.5 hours.

I'm aware of the challenges of syncing in post without a sync signal or gunlock. What workflow is working best these days?

TIA
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
Re: GoPro question/alternatives to GoPro
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 04:30:15 PM »
no data loss.  Seemless splits.  Gopros are cool but I do not use them except for bands who have them and I incorporate them into my mix.  If I did get one I would need the LCD back.  It's too hard to guess on framing/see white balance setting, etc.  I don't own a phone so that stuff does me no good.  The 4k version is what I'd get.

EDIT:  Both my Panasonic GH4 and Sony A7 have wifi on them so I think you can do with them what you can with gopros (start/stop/frame)...but again no phone so I have no idea
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 04:31:46 PM by Teen Wolf Blitzer »

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 06:03:19 PM »
Personally I wouldn't use a sports camera to record shows, but I have been doing some research into GoPro alternatives (since I think they are WAY overpriced).

For 4K I ended up finding that the Yi 4K has gotten the best reviews for a camera that doesn't say GoPro on it. Still sounds like GoPro owns the top spot as far as video quality goes...but for half the price I'm happy to have 90% of the quality.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Online guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 01:06:51 AM »
no data loss.  Seemless splits.

What about audio?  I realize that if you sync to alternate audio (and that's very likely in this case) this isn't an issue.  But it seems like pretty much all cams that record in chunks have a half second or so of audio missing at the end of each chunk.

And as far as Go-Pro goes (yes - slight pun intended!) ... that company has done a masterful job of promoting itself.  Seems like it's got a lot of people convinced that it's a versatile, multi-purpose camera ... when it's really only best suited  for sports/action stuff.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline jmitchell

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 11:55:46 PM »
I have been using a GoPro a bit, but not happy with it.  The quality of the videos are not all that good.  I record in the narrow setting, the wide setting is just too wide and creates a fisheye.

youtube channel with some videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fkN4W1uysUCF5F5sQHKCA
AKG C451E, CK1, CK22, CK3
Telefunken M60, TK60, TK62
Studio Projects C4 Cards & Omni
CA-14 Cards & Omni
Audioroot Femto, Sound Devices MixPre-D
Sound Devices MixPre-6, Zoom F8n, Roland R-05

Offline nomotrouble

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 01:42:21 AM »
I use gopro's for side shots in my videos. no missing audio at the end of chunks. the hero 3's imported the audio 5 frames off from the video, but haven't had that problem with the 4's. I just upgraded to 5's, haven't tried them yet. Expensive, but i think it's worth it for that extra ten percent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-XthD2j4aY

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com