Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shotgun Self Powered 1/8th inch?  (Read 2959 times)

Offline aleatoric

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Shotgun Self Powered 1/8th inch?
« on: November 17, 2008, 11:23:59 AM »
So I am just getting into the wonderful world of field recording.  I picked up a PCM-D50 about a week ago and love it.  The internal mic's sound great and the pre is nice and smooth, quality converters and headphone amp as well.  I am noticing how sensitive the mic's are, they excel in ambiance recording and basically any other recording where outside noise is minimal.  However I am considering adding a more directional external mic (mono or stereo) to my aresenal.  I don't really want to spend $500 on the XLR phantom power extension for the PCM-D50 so I am wondering what my options are for a shotgun or hypercard mic that has battery powered phantom and a 1/8 inch output?  Does anything like this exist?  Would be a great companion to the excellent internal mics on the PCM-D50 I feel.  Thanks. 

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: Shotgun Self Powered 1/8th inch?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 11:47:04 AM »
I think some are running chopped/hacked NAK's as you describe.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 11:56:34 AM »
Welcome to the board.

There are plenty of inexpensive shotgun microphones on the market that would be a good starting microphone for you, but don't let the name fool you. Shotgun mics can't pick up the bird chirping 100s of feet away or the water droplets across the pond and often sound better the closest you can possibly get.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/location_sound.html

Have a look at that  very informative article.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 12:07:27 PM »
Sennheiser makes a battery powered (AA) modular microphone (k6) with available caps including shotguns (me67), short shotguns/Super Cardiod (me66), cardiod (me64) and omni (me62).  It is the big brother to the k3u/k3n line which is also battery powered, but noy with AAs.

I have an extra k2u/me80 (short shotgun) that I could sell you if you are interested.  I also have a full stereo set of the k3u line (not the long guns though) that I could sell, but probably to much $$ for you.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=003285

EDIT: You would need an xlr > 1/8" cable though.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline aleatoric

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 01:39:26 PM »
Shotgun mics can't pick up the bird chirping 100s of feet away or the water droplets across the pond

Exactly!  That's the idea, the built in mics on the PCM-D50 can and pretty much any other sounds going on within 100 yards!  The reason I want a shotgun is so I can record things close up without a lot of ambient leakage from the surroundings.  Recording specific events without a huge background atmosphere.  I will have to do some research when time allows and try to find the right mic.  Budget is between is no more than $350.  Anyone know anything about the AT897?

Roving Sign

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 01:45:27 PM »
I don't really want to spend $500 on the XLR phantom power extension for the PCM-D50

Well - please dont! :P

Any 50 dollar phantom box will do exactly the same thing as that 500 dollar "phantom power extension"

Look at the ART Phantom II

Just get the proper output cables...

So - dont limit your mic selection to those that run on internal batteries...

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 01:47:53 PM »
Exactly!  That's the idea, the built in mics on the PCM-D50 can and pretty much any other sounds going on within 100 yards!  The reason I want a shotgun is so I can record things close up without a lot of ambient leakage from the surroundings.  Recording specific events without a huge background atmosphere.  I will have to do some research when time allows and try to find the right mic.  Budget is between is no more than $350.  Anyone know anything about the AT897?

you have a large budget. I'm jealous.  :P I would highly look at Rode's NTG-1, 2, and 3. If I had the money, I would go with the Rode NTG2:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/367747-REG/Rode_NTG_2_NTG_2_Shotgun_Microphone.html

You'll need a boom pole but just make one yourself:
http://www.indymogul.com/episode/imwe_20070727

my editing:

This is a self powered mic but like other people pointed out, you can get a phantom powered device for $50 from b&h.
If you go that route, you can get the ntg-1:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/367746-REG/Rode_NTG_1_NTG_1_Shotgun_Microphone.html

XLR into the phantom device, xlr out to 1/8" to the recorder.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 01:50:49 PM by rastasean »
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline taper420

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
I can vouch for the sennheiser me66's. I use em for video and for taping.. they pair up great with a V3. And a very simple XLR to 1/8" cable will do exactly what you need. I have used that mic and cable to go into my GL1 which has an 1/8" mic input. They will operate on phantom or a single AA battery. Street for a K6 base and me66 shotgun cap is $300~350. You could also go for the ME67 which is a longer gun. The ME66 is more of a hypercard. These mics are fairly widely used among the low-budget video crowd. The higher budgeted crowds might use the senn MKH-416. I've heard a comparison and there is a huge difference... but of course a huge jump in price as well. Damn you law of diminishing returns.

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 02:18:31 PM »
I don't really want to spend $500 on the XLR phantom power extension for the PCM-D50

Well - please dont! :P

Any 50 dollar phantom box will do exactly the same thing as that 500 dollar "phantom power extension"

Look at the ART Phantom II

Just get the proper output cables...

So - dont limit your mic selection to those that run on internal batteries...
yeah just get a box like that

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com