Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: how to take a 4 track (4 mic) mix to 2 using samplitude music studio  (Read 1260 times)

Offline flarcus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
i did this once i cannot remember how

i have been using audacity but i hear this is better

i have an R-44, running 4 mic mix, i get 2 stereo wav files

in audacity i just import both, split stereo tracks and move track down, then export and it mixes to 2 tracks combining the left of each mic and the right of each mic

please help

there is probably already a thread on this but i cannot find it and would like to be able to do this tomorrow night

thanks

Offline ghellquist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: how to take a 4 track (4 mic) mix to 2 using samplitude music studio
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 05:22:20 PM »
Depends a bit on what you want to do.

The first strategy.

1) Create a new VIP with two stereo channels (or more)
2) Select first channel
3) Import first stereo file
4) Select second channel
5) Import second stereo file
6) Export

I usually save the VIP for later tweaking

You might want to twiddle a bit with relative volumes, eq off some of the subsonics and such stuff, in the mixer view then. You could also click on the mixer pan control and do some twiddling there.

Now the second strategy. Lets start after 5) above, assuming that you find that you want to twiddle the pan positions of channel 3 and 4 even more ( pan = positioning in Left-Right). Maybe channel 3 and 4 are not really a stereo pair but two mono mics ( might singer microphone and the bass drum or whatever). There are as always several ways to do this, this is one I often use myself

6) Create one more channel.
7) Copy the second stereo signal to this channel. It is not a physical copy of the wave file as such. Simply Ctrl and draw down the wave form.
8 )Now mute Left on one of the stereo files
9 ) mute Right on the other. Do this by opening the object editor and there are choices for muting. The object editor can be reached several ways, but simply double clicking usually gets you there.

10) Now twiddle things in the mixer like pan positions. Start by double clicking in the mixer and setting stereo panorama to mono for the two new channels.

Aaah, it actually is much easier than it looks and much easier than the description here. Once you get the hang of it.

Gunnar

Offline flarcus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: how to take a 4 track (4 mic) mix to 2 using samplitude music studio
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 01:28:56 AM »
tytyty gunnar, i did the first suggestion for tonight's moe show, should be uploaded on archive early 7/4/9 edt

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.218 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com