Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advise needed for setup change  (Read 1734 times)

Offline mmadd29

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep
Advise needed for setup change
« on: July 08, 2009, 09:51:56 AM »
Hi all,

I'm looking to slightly change the way I record shows.  I have started to do Matrix recording and have liked the results.  Here is what I currently use/do:

Open mic setup

Mics to UA-5 > digital out to iriver

Board rca to 1/8 analog to another iriver

What I would like to do is do rca out (or 1/4) into another AD/DA that I could go digital out to my iriver.  I do not want another UA-5 as I think this is overkill, but something better than the iriver AD/DA

I'm going to be moving my recording position at most clubs, because I want my mics in front of the stacks.  Because of this I will be making/buying more cables.

Since I have about 750ft of RG6 dual cable left after a Dish TV install, I will use this and rca compression fittings to make a 50' rca to rca cable to run to the board.

Is there any issue using 50' of RG6?

For the mics, I would need two cables one around 50' and one around 100'.

I figure it is cheaper to make the cable, and have the skills to do it.  Could someone point me to somewhere I could get quality bulk cable?

Thanks to all in advance...
Superlux CM-H8K > UA5 > iriver h120 > Wave Labs > EAC

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: Advise needed for setup change
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 12:36:46 PM »
Board rca to 1/8 analog to another iriver

What I would like to do is do rca out (or 1/4) into another AD/DA that I could go digital out to my iriver.  I do not want another UA-5 as I think this is overkill, but something better than the iriver AD/DA

First, let's straighten out the terminology.
You're looking for an AD converter, not an AD/DA. The DA step would convert back the digital signal to analog, which would be pointless going into an H120. Right?!

So either you take the plunge and get an AD20, or skimp and get this little gadget:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,117977.0.html

DCT-4 by CYP. Not tried/tested in the taper community, but you could do us all a favour and be the first one  ;D

Post your results here.

Regarding running long RCA cables, I'm afraid that there will be substantial signal loss, since they're unbalanced. Since you'll be running two recorders, why not just leave one by the board and have a buddy watch over it?
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline mmadd29

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep
Re: Advise needed for setup change
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 12:47:15 PM »
First, let's straighten out the terminology.
You're looking for an AD converter, not an AD/DA. The DA step would convert back the digital signal to analog, which would be pointless going into an H120. Right?!

Yes you are correct.  I forgot what the proper term was.

So either you take the plunge and get an AD20, or skimp and get this little gadget:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,117977.0.html

DCT-4 by CYP. Not tried/tested in the taper community, but you could do us all a favour and be the first one  ;D

I will take a look at that unit...

Regarding running long RCA cables, I'm afraid that there will be substantial signal loss, since they're unbalanced. Since you'll be running two recorders, why not just leave one by the board and have a buddy watch over it?

I could leave it by the board, I know all the sound guys and they would let me setup in their area.  I need a video camera back there anyways, so another iriver is no problem.

Thanks for the comments
Superlux CM-H8K > UA5 > iriver h120 > Wave Labs > EAC

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com