Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Problem with CSB mics  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Aladar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Problem with CSB mics
« on: February 14, 2010, 07:56:55 AM »
Hi.
I recently got CSBs here from Yard Sale, and couldn't try them, as I had no recorder. Now, the recorder is here, but.. the mics seem.. not to work?
I record on old NetMD recorder, tried both line and mic input, and all I get is click when the mic is connceted, but then a total silence. I tried to connect it to my PC's mic input and record in Audacity.. and all I get there is a slight hum, no recording.

I know it may be a stupid question, but could that be because I don't have it connected to the battery box? I don't have battery fitting the box atm, so I can't try..

Please help me out here, I'm pretty desperate, since so far it was only hardships for me.. :/

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Problem with CSB mics
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 12:21:29 PM »
Don't panic!  I've never used these mics but it seems that they need 5-9V power from a battery box like the Core Sounds one or the Church 9100 pre.  Plug-in power on most recorders probably won't be enough.  Check out this thread for more info:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=117499.0

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 12:21:53 PM »
a) You definitely need the battery box.  Without the battery to power the electronics in the mics, you will get nothing.

b) I can run my CSBs line-in to my R09 at a loud rock, and still generally add some gain.  So once you plug in the battery box, if you are doing a test at home at less than ear bleeding volume, you may not get as hot a signal as you might expect.  Don't worry, it will be hotter at a show where the volume is louder.

The above is assuming you have the normal "Core Sound Binaurals", which come with it's own battery box and a special connector.  If you have something else, what I say may not be correct.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 12:24:15 PM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 12:23:29 PM »
Shouldn't those mics have come with a battery box? I've had those type of mics before and just thought they always came with a battery box.
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 12:45:23 PM »
Hi.
I recently got CSBs here from Yard Sale, and couldn't try them, as I had no recorder. Now, the recorder is here, but.. the mics seem.. not to work?
I record on old NetMD recorder, tried both line and mic input, and all I get is click when the mic is connceted, but then a total silence. I tried to connect it to my PC's mic input and record in Audacity.. and all I get there is a slight hum, no recording.

I know it may be a stupid question, but could that be because I don't have it connected to the battery box? I don't have battery fitting the box atm, so I can't try..

Please help me out here, I'm pretty desperate, since so far it was only hardships for me.. :/

Core makes mics that do not require a battery box, but if yours have the mini-XLR connector for where you're supposed to insert the battery box, then yes, you need one and the mics won't work without it, since the circuit isn't closed.  I too am curious why someone would have sold you the mics without the accompanying battery box, since both components are useless without the other.

You can actually make a little widget to cover the mini-XLR connector that makes a closed circuit, and then allows you to use the CSB mics with any battery supply (or with the supplied plug-in power of a recorder, though in most cases that won't work because most recorders do not provide the appropriate voltage).  I'm not much of a technical guy myself, so I've never done it, but I've seen it done, and it's apparently quite easy.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Aladar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 01:04:30 PM »
Ahh, thanks a lot guys, you made me be at peace again - it is the mini-XLR ended CSB mic. :)

As with the battery box, I probably expressed myself in wrong way - I have the battery box, I'm just missing the battery itself to power it, and as it was sunday, most stores are closed. I got the mics here, of course with the box :)

Thanks again!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com