Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: (Noob Content) I am a littile confused  (Read 5857 times)

Offline GratefulHead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
(Noob Content) I am a littile confused
« on: April 13, 2010, 06:50:15 PM »
Hey guys, I am new to taping, and I would like to find some equipment. Can anyone help out?

Offline anonymous_user

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: (Noob Content) I am a littile confused
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 07:07:01 PM »
There are plenty of topics here to read that are similar to yours, as well as a search function where you can find responses to posts like yours. Look around and you can find topics with basic rundowns of various types of gear and prices, and what you need to get started.

With that said, no one will take your topic seriously as of right now without more information, such as your budget or price range, and whether you're looking for stealth or open-taping gear.

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 07:30:18 PM »
I'm in the same position, so here is what info people gave me:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=132722.msg1740246#msg1740246

Not sure about your budget, but for a beginner this helped me a lot.

Offline tay666

• Taperssection Regular
    • Live music stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 08:09:48 PM »
Also, how new are you to taping?
I mean, do you have any experience or knowledge at all.
Or do you need to learn everything?

IF so, then I advise reading the thread titled
Start Here
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=33610.0
Always looking for Iron Maiden and Papa Roach audio that I don't have.
http://tay666.comze.com/iron.htm

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 08:28:09 PM »
I hate to be blunt, but, how much do you plan on spending? If you inform us of that, you'll most likely get a lot of useful opinions, options, etc. from members here. Good luck to you.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 08:36:44 PM »
I hate to be blunt, but, how much do you plan on spending? If you inform us of that, you'll most likely get a lot of useful opinions, options, etc. from members here. Good luck to you.

The saying in NASCAR is, "Speed costs money.  How fast do you want to go?"  It's kinda the same with recording.  You had better tell us what is in your wallet.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 12:43:50 AM »

The saying in NASCAR is, "Speed costs money.  How fast do you want to go?"  It's kinda the same with recording.  You had better tell us what is in your wallet.

he is probably better off keeping that a secret so we don't bankrupt him.  :D
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 12:51:38 AM »

If you want to keep your budget a secret, peruse the Yard Sale and get and idea of prices of used goods.  Once you figure out what you want, you can get an idea of cost by looking there.  Then you can budget accordingly. 

Right off the bat, a good starter set of mics are Church Audios.  I have no experience myself, but many people here have had very good luck with CA's very inexpensive rig.  Coupled with a small SD recorder, you could have a nice rig for about $500. 

Good luck!

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 10:49:21 AM »
This is really good advice...I have a good friend who wanted to get into taping, he did not want to or have the money to get an extremely high end rig but needed a good starting place.  I got him set up with Church Audio CA-14 cards, the CA-9100 pre-amp, and an edirol r-09hr.  all said around $500 bucks.  give yourself another 50-100 for mounts, stand, bag, and SD card.  I ran the rig the other night right under my schoeps MK4V's and there is obviously a difference, but my buddy was still very happy with his pull and he only spent $500 to my...we will just say a lot more that $500 :o

this is a great way from him to capture the shows he sees and also to start paying closer attention to the sound he likes by downloading other sources from etree or archive

so good luck and welcome to endless pursuit of the perfect tape...
adam

If you want to keep your budget a secret, peruse the Yard Sale and get and idea of prices of used goods.  Once you figure out what you want, you can get an idea of cost by looking there.  Then you can budget accordingly. 

Right off the bat, a good starter set of mics are Church Audios.  I have no experience myself, but many people here have had very good luck with CA's very inexpensive rig.  Coupled with a small SD recorder, you could have a nice rig for about $500. 

Good luck!

Terry
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline GratefulHead

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 10:55:51 AM »
Hey thanks for the responses. I am totally knew to taping with no experience, and I did search some threads but I just don't understand some of the lingo and what not. I am not looking for stealth gear, and my budget is kind of low at the moment getting started. I would say I am looking to spend around 300 to 350.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 11:54:28 AM »
Save a little more money. My estimate for bare basic rig that makes acceptable recordings is $500. I priced out a slightly better rig for a local who wanted to get started and it was within a whisker of $700. While there are occasionally spectacular deals here in the yard sale or a few other places online (craigslist, ebay) that would allow you to start for less they are few and very far between and are usually gone before you see them. The main reason I suggest saving another couple hundred is so you can at least use some of what you purchased when you upgrade; otherwise you're basically wasting the 3-350; or having a costly learning experience. The Church Audio rig mentioned above is a very good first rig.

Do you know anyone local to you who tapes? If so ask them questions, go to shows with them, see whatall is involved in getting a good recording. It isn't as easy as just setting up mics, hitting record and having a good cature at the end of the night. I've found most tapers are more than willing to answer questions/help a noob provided you don't start asking two minutes before the lights go down and the taper is still setting up.

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 08:12:29 PM »
Save a little more money. My estimate for bare basic rig that makes acceptable recordings is $500. I priced out a slightly better rig for a local who wanted to get started and it was within a whisker of $700. While there are occasionally spectacular deals here in the yard sale or a few other places online (craigslist, ebay) that would allow you to start for less they are few and very far between and are usually gone before you see them. The main reason I suggest saving another couple hundred is so you can at least use some of what you purchased when you upgrade; otherwise you're basically wasting the 3-350; or having a costly learning experience. The Church Audio rig mentioned above is a very good first rig.

Do you know anyone local to you who tapes? If so ask them questions, go to shows with them, see whatall is involved in getting a good recording. It isn't as easy as just setting up mics, hitting record and having a good cature at the end of the night. I've found most tapers are more than willing to answer questions/help a noob provided you don't start asking two minutes before the lights go down and the taper is still setting up.

^^^This is all excellent advice. I recommend to anyone building a taping rig or even a playback system to piece it together as one can afford it. Why spend $300 now when you're likely to sell it later? flipp raises a great point in that if you know a local taper, go to some shows with them. If you already know a taper, I recommend spending a few hundred bucks on a used, but excellent recorder such as an R-09, R-09HR, etc. You could then patch into his set up, go home with your own recording and learn what to do after the show on the computer. You'll learn a lot this way...if you know such a person. If not, I still recommend piecing your rig together as you can.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 10:52:56 PM »

This is excellent advice.  I bought a few things when I first started that was a waste of money.  A home-made battery pack comes to mind - burned out of me right before Sonic Youth...  Bought a nice battery system the next day...  Definitely think about what you want to do and save and spend a little extra money to get what you want, not something that "might just be good enough". 

And the second part is also excellent advice.  Taping is more than setting up then partying down (though it can be done).  Start hanging out with tapers at shows and watch and learn.  Ask questions once they get things going and stand back and relax.  Most are VERY eager to talk to you about taping...

Good luck!

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 01:22:18 AM »
In general, I agree on the saving more money advice, but I made some pretty decent tapes with just Nak 300s>iriver, which you might be able to do for $300

Or here is a decent rig (more of a stealth rig, though) for $325: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=126391.0
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 01:28:36 AM by yltfan »
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 10:52:38 AM »
Definitely the hardest-learned (and sadly, most-often learned) rule I've found in this hobby is "you get what you pay for" and the corollary, which is don't buy something you don't think is worth a damn when you buy it.  Get good quality items you can build on. 

For example, you could throw less cash at a new [insert POS type of recorder here], which will likely crap out on you and generally function poorly to start with.  Or spend more and get a used/new higher quality deck like the M10 or R-09HR.  Now, down the line, you may decide you want a better deck than those, but either of those decks are certainly capable of being a decent component in even a fairly top-of-the-line rig.  Certainly, they aren't a waste of money, they aren't garbage, and as a result, they hold their value to some degree and will sell better used.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 03:57:05 AM »
Do you know anyone local to you who tapes? If so ask them questions, go to shows with them, see whatall is involved in getting a good recording.
Definitely the hardest-learned (and sadly, most-often learned) rule I've found in this hobby is "you get what you pay for" and the corollary, which is don't buy something you don't think is worth a damn when you buy it.  Get good quality items you can build on.

Two, among many, excellent pieces of advice.  Regarding the latter, I interned in a studio when I was a young'un and the manager had the mantra, "Buy nice or buy twice", which stuck with me.  In other words, it's worth it to save your money and spend extra on good pieces of gear rather than take the path of least resistance and buy something of dubious quality "now".

As for the former, it's obvious just from this forum that the taper community is pretty friendly and very willing to help out.  By all means, make contact with tapers in your area, go to shows with them, help them set up and record, get your hands and ears dirty with the craft and break down at the end of the night.  You'll learn much more in the field than you ever will just conversing on these boards. :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com