Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DAT Audio computer drives and software  (Read 5003 times)

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • There is nothing you can hold, for very long.
DAT Audio computer drives and software
« on: February 04, 2004, 04:26:13 PM »
looking for that friggin website eith the info regarding what computer IDE drives work with a PC for extracting audio. Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks!
Bri

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
Re:DAT Audio computer drives and software
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 05:40:26 PM »
None are IDE...all are SCSI.  Pretty much the only one worth trying to find is the Conner CTD8000 unless you want to spend the cash on the Sony SDT 9000.  

http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~aa571/datfaq.htm
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 05:46:14 PM »
thats the page! Thanks!

Bri

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 05:50:19 PM »
know anyone that has done this? I am looking to lose my DAT collection. Does this data store bit for bit with any checksum?

Thanks!
Bri

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 12:35:32 PM »
No checksum, but it is bit for bit. And it's so damn easy, I love my data drive! It's almost as easy as EAC.

Offline Bri

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 12:52:55 PM »
which drive do you use? HOw long would a 3 hr DAT take to xfr?

Bri

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 01:21:42 PM »
I'm using an Archive Python 25601, firmware is v2.75, and controlling it with vDAT, (v2.0.0). A three hour DAT will take 3 hours, this particular model only supports 1x transfers. I've read that other DDS drives can go as fast as 3 or 5x, but I got a pretty decent deal on this drive. Either way, it saves the head on my main deck, and the software is pretty much set and forget. You can tell it to record either between IDs, or from a set Atime > Atime. It writes straight to your drive as WAV, and is completely bit for bit perfect.

I've never transfered a tape through a soundcard, so I don't know how much better it is, but it is certainly damn easy!

Offline shroominhumpy

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Ghetto Rig--Cheap gear. Sick Tapes.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 02:39:28 PM »
If mass communications blend together harmoniously, and often unnoticeably, art, politics, religion, and philosophy with commercials, they bring these realms of culture to their common denominator—the commodity form. The music of the soul is also the music of salesmanship.
Herbert Marcuse

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 03:07:37 PM »
The software isn't too bad either. DAT2WAV is something like $50 to register and use, and vDAT is $100. DAT2WAV is command prompt based, and vDAT is a Windows based program. I went with vDAT because it is very easy to use.

BobW

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 11:14:04 PM »
Will it work with a 2906 pci SCSI card ?

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2004, 11:33:44 AM »
I don't know. I just found a $30 SCSI2 card. I couldn't even find a normal SCSI card anymore. The hard part was finding a SCSI > SCSI2 cable. But now that it's all up and running, I'm glad I made the investment.

You would be able to download the trail version of vDAT from the website and see if that works.

You could also check out the website for DAT2WAV and see if that drive and card will work. You may need to flash the firmware though.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 11:35:38 AM by Scuba Jeremy »

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2004, 10:55:45 PM »
i too have purchased these drives, one complaint which has been voiced here.  since you can't access any information that details head-hours, etc.  you never really know when the drive is dead (except for trail and error).  i used it for about a full year, before it crapped out on me.  lucky for me, i bought two at the same time for back-up purposes.  the fact that i need to use it so quickly worried me.  

vDAT is nice and easy to use, but for $100 you should get more.  so back to my datport or maybe my new jb3 for firewire.  we'll see how that works.  gotta try it right?

peas

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2004, 03:16:26 AM »
i too have purchased these drives, one complaint which has been voiced here.  since you can't access any information that details head-hours, etc.  you never really know when the drive is dead (except for trail and error).  i used it for about a full year, before it crapped out on me.  lucky for me, i bought two at the same time for back-up purposes.  the fact that i need to use it so quickly worried me.  
It didn't mess up your master DATs, did it? That would scare me a little.

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 08:57:18 AM »
my CTD-9000 can xfer a 90 in about 120 minutes. 1.2 - 1.5x is the norm - thru DAT2WAV

the one huge advantage it has for me, over the traditional mthods , is it takes up very few resources on the PC, so while i'm transferring, i can also be compressing, or editing the first set in wavelab while the second set transfers, etc.

as for buying used ones, if you look on ebay enough you can find some that are brand new.. I have heard from more than one person who got them brand new on ebay for like $30.  Also, look for ones that were pulls from servers that weren't used as backup machines...some compaq servers in the 90's shipped with the CTD-9000s and many IT departments only use one server for backups (even though like ten of them have tape drives). Guess it's part luck, but don't be afraid to ask the seller how much head use it's had.

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2004, 02:11:44 PM »
It didn't mess up your master DATs, did it? That would scare me a little.

Nah, the masters were fine.  I just think the reading function was impaired due to old heads (i.e. heavily used)

Good luck to you!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.159 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com