Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A compromised set of cards  (Read 1744 times)

Offline treestar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
A compromised set of cards
« on: February 08, 2011, 05:09:55 PM »
My vehicle was stolen on December 16th last year, nearby Washington DC. I was on my way to do sound reinforcement with my recording gear haphazardly stuffed in the trunk (it would have been OK for the short ride, if only). My vehicle was gone for over two weeks before it was recovered by the police. The thief didn't have much of an interest in my stereo recording set-up and it came back intact, although I don't know how it was handled all that time. I'd appreciate some advice on whether it's the best idea to replace my mics or stick with them.

I have a RØDE NT5 matched pair. They were mounted in Rycote InVision shockmounts on a Shure stereo mic bar in standard ORTF configuration on my stand. When I got my vehicle back earlier this year, they were more or less in the same place in my trunk, fully intact but face down, resting on a clean, milled sheet of aluminum. They are visibly perfect. I mean no scuffs, scratches, dings, or discoloration, and the screens are fine. They were probably left in the trunk, outside, for the entire period -- that's below freezing temperatures and whatever the outdoor humidity was.

I think the electronics are probably undamaged, but I'm not sure about the capsules. What do you think? I view my microphones as measuring devices, and if they are no longer accurate I don't see the point in using them. I never would have left them outside for 3 weeks, but that has happened now and I don't know if it matters.

The RØDE NT5 is modular so I can replace just the capsules if I wish. They are $90 each. I am interested in getting two Omni capsules if the cardioid capsules are fine, but if they aren't, I don't know, I might just get a different make of microphones (although I have been pleased with the NT5's for the price, $290, and I don't feel the need to watch them at all times when I'm taping because they aren't a set of Schoeps or whatever).

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: A compromised set of cards
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 11:51:18 PM »
The big question is: how do they sound?  Have you made a recording with them since you got them back and compared it with a recording before their ordeal?  Let your ears be the judge here.  A damaged microphone will not only sound different than it did before it was damaged, but you'll probably hear any combination of distortion, hums, buzzes and crackling as well.  I've used Rode NT5's in a few studios I've spent time in and found them to be solid, durable mics.  Also, I wouldn't be terribly concerned about whether or not your NT5's "matching" was affected.  Even with the best and most expensive of mics, they will go "out of true" over time and will not be as closely matched as when they were new.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: A compromised set of cards
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 12:12:12 AM »
My vehicle was stolen on December 16th last year, nearby Washington DC. I was on my way to do sound reinforcement with my recording gear haphazardly stuffed in the trunk (it would have been OK for the short ride, if only). My vehicle was gone for over two weeks before it was recovered by the police. The thief didn't have much of an interest in my stereo recording set-up and it came back intact, although I don't know how it was handled all that time. I'd appreciate some advice on whether it's the best idea to replace my mics or stick with them.

I have a RØDE NT5 matched pair. They were mounted in Rycote InVision shockmounts on a Shure stereo mic bar in standard ORTF configuration on my stand. When I got my vehicle back earlier this year, they were more or less in the same place in my trunk, fully intact but face down, resting on a clean, milled sheet of aluminum. They are visibly perfect. I mean no scuffs, scratches, dings, or discoloration, and the screens are fine. They were probably left in the trunk, outside, for the entire period -- that's below freezing temperatures and whatever the outdoor humidity was.

I think the electronics are probably undamaged, but I'm not sure about the capsules. What do you think? I view my microphones as measuring devices, and if they are no longer accurate I don't see the point in using them. I never would have left them outside for 3 weeks, but that has happened now and I don't know if it matters.

The RØDE NT5 is modular so I can replace just the capsules if I wish. They are $90 each. I am interested in getting two Omni capsules if the cardioid capsules are fine, but if they aren't, I don't know, I might just get a different make of microphones (although I have been pleased with the NT5's for the price, $290, and I don't feel the need to watch them at all times when I'm taping because they aren't a set of Schoeps or whatever).

I would not worry about it.. If the mics were in good shape on the outside chances are they are still ok. Mics can handle a lot of abuse. Dont worry about it use them I am sure they will be fine. If they were under water that would be a different story lol :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com