Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Countryman B3 - 9V bb vs 3V PIP; better SPL handling?  (Read 4878 times)

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
Countryman B3 - 9V bb vs 3V PIP; better SPL handling?
« on: September 24, 2011, 01:18:10 PM »
Information in this FS thread got me wondering about the best way to power my B3s. I can either run them directly into my M10 which has 3V PIP, or I can plug them into my Naiant lb which has 9V power, first, and then into the M10. My B3s are wired to a single 1/8" plug without any of the resistors mentioned in the thread. Will the higher voltage result in higher SPL-handling? Is distortion caused by overloading easy to identify, or is it just a general "blech" sound?
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline T-90

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ya aint gotta do what ya aint gotta do
Re: Countryman B3 - 9V bb vs 3V PIP; better SPL handling?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 03:40:11 PM »
i am no expert in this field, illconditioned or gutbucket im sure can give you all sorts of technical data concerning this question....however i also have a set of b3's terminated to 1/8" and no resistors....ive ran these straight into the m10 for some rather loud pa material and thought the results were just fine....ive also ran b3>ca9100>m10 and again thought the results were just fine...i was not able to detect any distortion running them either way....i think unless you are really close to a very loud source, running straight into the m10 would be fine but dont hold me to it....i think the general consensus is that for very loud material a 9v supply is ideal, but again i have not had any probs YET running b3>m10....ymmv.
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman
DPA 4023, AT4051a, AT4053a
Countryman B3, AT853(4.7k,c,sc,h)
V3, FP24, Bm2p+ UA5, ST9100
OCM Edirol R-44, Sony PCM-M10

Offline TimeBandit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 11:41:39 AM »
even with just 3v pip the pcm-m10 can handle hungry mics very good. so you went lucky.

but recording very loud gigs, maybe from stack a preamp would be more secure.
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 01:53:50 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I have an important show coming up, but I won't have a chance to do any comparison recordings at a real show beforehand. Maybe I'll take a chance and leave the lb at home; would certainly be easier to manage.

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 02:43:18 PM »
I did tape with just the B3s and the M10. Sounds ok, but...the waveform looks funny in Audacity. Anyone know what might be going on? Thx.
EDIT: Server won't let me attach an 88k image; here is a linked image.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 02:49:40 PM by CliveStaples »

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 04:30:21 PM »
Yes, plug in power, Littlebox, and even the Naiant PFA are all excellent ways to power the B3s.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline MIQ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 12:56:29 AM »
Richard noticed the same thing in the thread you mentioned in the original post.  He wrote "I noticed the waveforms were not symmetric when viewed in Wavelab".  This happens when there isn't any resistor connected to the source of the FET in the capsule.  Looks like you noticed it too.  Your original post also mentions the lack of these source resistors in your mini plug.

-MIQ

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 09:39:31 AM »

OT post.. I don't use wavelab and have a question about the image above.  What is the light blue shaded region in the waveform, the RMS response?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 07:24:20 PM »
It looks like an underpowered wav form. I've seen posts like this before with an asymetrical form.
Usually th to of the wav having less reaching peaks just like yours.
Just a guess but, that's what it looks like to me.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 10:28:43 PM »
You need a source resistor - between black wire and ground, one for each channel.

I use a 2.2k sometimes, for moderately loud stuff.  This works with both plug-in-power and a battery box.  For absolute certainly, use a 4.7k resistor, but in that case, you'll probably want a 9v battery box (or preamp) instead of plug-in-power.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 12:36:32 AM »
You need a source resistor - between black wire and ground, one for each channel.

I use a 2.2k sometimes, for moderately loud stuff.  This works with both plug-in-power and a battery box.  For absolute certainly, use a 4.7k resistor, but in that case, you'll probably want a 9v battery box (or preamp) instead of plug-in-power.

Richard

Thanks for the extra info, Richard, though now I am in a quandary. I bought the B3s specifically to run straight into the M10 for ease of use. If I need the 4.7k resistor to record loud shows, though, I can't really do that  :(.

Maybe I'll just run the lb with the B3s at all times after I get the B3s modded. I'm definitely planning to record some really loud shows in the future. There isn't really any benefit to powering the B3s with 9v without the resistors, is there?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:01:33 AM by CliveStaples »

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 02:54:05 PM »

Richard

Thanks for the extra info, Richard, though now I am in a quandary. I bought the B3s specifically to run straight into the M10 for ease of use. If I need the 4.7k resistor to record loud shows, though, I can't really do that  :( .

Maybe I'll just run the lb with the B3s at all times after I get the B3s modded. I'm definitely planning to record some really loud shows in the future. There isn't really any benefit to powering the B3s with 9v without the resistors, is there?
OK, you should have 4.7k in there at all times.  For quiet shows (or ambient stuff) use Plug-in-power.  For loud shows use a regular (2-wire) battery box.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com