Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: cable for new iPod Classic and Alpine car stereo?  (Read 7498 times)

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
cable for new iPod Classic and Alpine car stereo?
« on: December 14, 2011, 11:35:13 PM »
Hello knowledgeable ones. I am hoping to find information on the best way to hookup my newer iPod Classic to my Alpine car stereo head unit. I had thought that all I would need was the Alpine cord (KCE 422i) that connects to the CD changer DIN output and terminates with the iPod dock connector. Today, I was told by a local Alpine dealer that Apple has reduced voltage on newer ipods down to five volts, and that the KCE 422i cable will not charge the newer iPods. They recommended two separate cables. The first would go from the CD changer's DIN output to RCA. The second cable would go from RCA to terminate with the iPod dock connector. This second cable stepped the voltage down to 5 volts and had a power and ground cable to give power to charge and run the iPod. Both cables ran about $70.

This seemed kind of steep to me, but I DON'T want to use a cheaper cable that would require the use of the iPod's 1/8th inch headphone output, which would place the iPod's headphone amp in the chain and degrade sound.

Is this the best way to go? Apparently the Alpine cable KCE 422i will only charge older iPods. Plus, I read a review on the Amazon site that said that even with the KCE 422i the Alpine head unit would only read one level of text from the iPod, and could not open subsets of text.  Plus, with the KCE 422i, the screen on the iPod is dark and shut down. With the two-cable option I was told that song selection would have to be performed on the iPod directly. The cables were only to charge the iPod and carry a line level signal from the preamp outputs.

Is anyone here using this two cable system with a new Classic ipod and Alpine head unit?

Offline YYzepp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: cable for new iPod Classic and Alpine car stereo?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 12:04:26 AM »
Was wondering if you ever got the solved. I believe I've seen them cheaper than that. The KCE 422i should charge the 160GB but supposedly only certain revisions.
Tony

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 03:10:21 PM »
No, I'm still working on it. My local Alpine dealer insists that the older KCE cable will NOT work with five volt iPods. Not only will it not charge, but it will not pass a pre out audio signal either. My Alpine is on the 'older platform' and cannot work with a new 160 gig Classic. Or so I'm told.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 03:26:25 PM »
Alpine model would help...  Also, have you investigated the other Apline iPod cable???

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/category/accessories

The 422 isn't listed on the Alpine site anymore...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 07:38:52 PM »
no affiliation and don't have an alpine head unit, but this looks to be exactly what you need.  <http://www.amazon.com/neXplug-Alpine-KCE-422i-Connection-Converter/dp/B00470NIGC/ref=pd_cp_e_1>

Read the reviews re users' difficulties in plugging the usb into the alpine unit and their solutions.

Good luck!

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 09:03:06 PM »
My Alpine head unit is a CDA-9884 and it is a little over two years old. My iPod is a 6-month old 160 gig Classic and it is filled with Apple Lossless files. I would like to be able to use the head unit to access the files on the iPod but my Alpine dealer insists that my five-volt Classic will not work with the CDA-9884 because that model is on the older platform.  The way that they want to me to go is going to cost $65 for the cables and $65 for installation, because they have to wire in the hot lead and ground wire.

I was hoping to be able to use the head unit's D/A converter and run a digital signal but the way they are suggesting I go is with an analog cable running out of the pre-out dock connector. All song selection would be done via the iPod's display and the car stereo would only be used to amplify the line level signal.

I don't want to replace the head unit because it is only a little over two years old and works well for me. I was just not expecting this incompatibility problem with the newer voltage iPods.

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 10:16:10 PM »
Greetings all,

I was able to locate an Alpine KCE-422i high speed iPod cable through my local Alpine dealer and I just finished installing it myself. (They wanted $90 to take the radio out and install the cable but I disassembled the glove compartment to access the back of the head unit.)

It WORKS!!!!! They were not sure that it would even work with my new 5 volt 160 gig Classic, but it seems to work fine. I'm not sure if it is charging the iPod, but when I connect it it does Not say 'charging not supported' as some of the people who had written posts on some car stereo websites had mentioned. I'll have to play with it for a while.

Not bad for $30!

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 12:52:26 PM »
glad you tried it and it works
i was going to say that i would be shocked if it didn't work because the iphone/pod uses a different voltage charger then the ipad however both will work interchangeably it just takes longer to charge a ipad with a ipod charger
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com