Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newb Preamp Question: Is Negative = Ground in a DC battery powered circuit?  (Read 5148 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
I've broken into enough components now to be dangerous, but my learning curve is still nearly vertical.  I have a newb question about circuit design...

In a battery powered preamp circuit (IOW, it's DC powered), is routing to the negative battery terminal sufficient to complete the electrical circuit or is it also necessary to connect the circuit to the metal case of the preamp?  The reason I ask this question is in recently looking at some circuit diagrams for battery powered preamps, they typically show at least one ground path, but sometimes they have several (although I do understand that all of those may end up being connected at the same point).  They never seem to be without the ground path, but wouldn't current flow through the circuit just by connecting to negative?

A correlary question...(it's OK if anyone wants to put this in the 'stupid' category)...when we have battery powered gear that's grounded to the case, a) why don't we get shocked when we touch the case, and b) why isn't there a shock say if the case of my preamp contacts the case of another piece of gear in my bag?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 08:31:04 AM by tonedeaf »

stevetoney

Thanks for the response Jon.  I was hoping you'd see my questions.

Also, thanks for the 'do not lick' advice.  Course now that you've put a thought in my mind that I'd never had before and probably never would have had otherwise...   ;)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
I still "lick" 9v batteries to see if they are dead when I don't have a DVM with me.  :crazy:
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
You are OK licking a tinybox

Good advice...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

stevetoney

You are OK licking a tinybox

Good advice...

Terry

More research necessary. 

But really, Jon, I didn't realize you'd switched and became a hygenist.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com