Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG CK61 Stock Windscreens - Running head-worn actives...  (Read 6571 times)

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
AKG CK61 Stock Windscreens - Running head-worn actives...
« on: August 23, 2013, 01:26:39 AM »
So, here's my conundrum.

Last night, I was at at a show at our annual fair.  It's outdoors (flat field) but down near the lake.  I've recently gotten my AKG active setup and have been field testing it.  I've done a whack of shows already with a hat-worn solution which has been good so far.  Weather's been cooperative as well -- about 10-15km/h (or 6-9 mph) with no gusts.

On Wednesday night, I had the chance to run the DPA screens with TBrown's Muppets at 12' inside the soundboard enclosure and they worked like a charm.  My buddy was laughing at the size of the foam but I heard no audio loss and no wind was captured.  This was a special arrangement since the performance area is a union shop so it's generally frowned upon.

Fast forward to Thursday night: Winds were in the low 20km/h range gusting to 40km/h (13-25 mph).  At times, the mics on stage would pick up the rumbling and, of course, since I'm wearing the mics, I didn't use windscreens because a) I didn't bring them and b) I didn't bring them.  Listening back, I can hear some horrible rumbling/wind noise especially during the quieter passages.  So, I've got more shows this weekend into the next week.  This leaves me with three options:

1) Run my stand at/or slightly above head height using the outdoor DPA screens and rats and HOPE I don't get shut down.  I've seen people running video cameras on tripods at some of these shows but I know everything is artist/manager/label dependent. 

2) Run the supplied stock CK61 indoor windscreens in the hat -- I know it'll look like I've got a tumor but I'm thinking this would give me slightly better protection against the elements than nothing.  I could also order dead rats for those if I absolutely had to. 

3) Scrap the actives outright and run the AT853 subcards or cards with Shure Windscreens and TBrowns Dead Rats. 

I'm taking everything with me tomorrow as I'm driving down so I'll be leaving stuff in the car and figuring it out before showtime.

Any help is appreciated.

cashandkerouac

Re: AKG CK61 Stock Windscreens - Running head-worn actives...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »

1) Run my stand at/or slightly above head height using the outdoor DPA screens and rats and HOPE I don't get shut down.  I've seen people running video cameras on tripods at some of these shows but I know everything is artist/manager/label dependent. 

2) Run the supplied stock CK61 indoor windscreens in the hat -- I know it'll look like I've got a tumor but I'm thinking this would give me slightly better protection against the elements than nothing.  I could also order dead rats for those if I absolutely had to. 

3) Scrap the actives outright and run the AT853 subcards or cards with Shure Windscreens and TBrowns Dead Rats. 

I'm taking everything with me tomorrow as I'm driving down so I'll be leaving stuff in the car and figuring it out before showtime.

Any help is appreciated.

1) what's the probaility of getting shut down if you go with option #1?

2) if use of the windscreens in the hat makes it obvious that you've got somethng in your hat, is that less risky than option #1?   

3) i've heard some very good pulls with the AT853 cards and subcards, but much prefer the ck61s.

4) bringing all he options so you can decide what to use when you get there is the smart move! 

hope you get a great pull!  have fun.  :-)

edit:  you could go with options #1 and #3.  if you have two M-10 recorders you can run both sets of mics simultaneously.  that way if you get shut down with the stand you'll still be rolling with the AT mics.  if you don't have a 2nd M-10, you can hook up the AT mics with only a brief pause if you get shut down with the open rig.   
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 04:15:25 PM by bass_ur_face »

adrianf74

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 09:20:22 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

The possibility of #1 is / was very strong but I took the risk.  Ended up with the one super fan in front of me so had to raise the stand to 8 feet.  Nothing happened.

Had the indoor screens up top in case I had to switch but also had the 853s close by.

Still wondering if I might be able to get by with the windscreens in the hat and would it be some help.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 10:22:30 PM »
Still wondering if I might be able to get by with the windscreens in the hat and would it be some help.

Its all about creating dead airspace around the mics. Foam windscreens could do that in the hat if they hold the hat fabric away from the capsules, dead rats not so much as they'd just get smooshed and would no longer be loose and fluffy to trap air well.  For the same reason rats don't work underneath windscreens, only over them.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

adrianf74

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 12:58:12 AM »
Thanks Gutbucket.  I'm willing to say it probably makes sense to run the indoor windscreens inside the hat if it's at all windy -- the hat I'm wearing is a little bigger than it needed to be but that worked out for mic placement and would likely allow the mics to sit with the screens along the inside (my hat just might appear a little more poofy).

Just listened to the capture I made and am happy with what I got except for the super-fan who had to scream "WOO-HOO" right under the mics (they were about 3-4 feet above her head) but it's still there.  Can't win 'em all, I guess. :)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 01:00:28 AM »
Number 2 ;) I would run the stock screens
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 01:10:32 AM »
Good to hear you are able run your AKGs.
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

adrianf74

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 01:27:49 PM »
Thanks everyone.

Been enjoying running the CK61's (and my buddy's CK63's).  I didn't get a chance to run the stock windscreens in the hat but will likely do that the next time I'm at an outdoor show where I can't run a stand because I'm certain it's 100% better than running nothing at all.

I ended up running the mics on a stand; I flew them moments before one of the opening acts went onstage to have the techs ask me to move the stand inside the enclosure (which I did).  They're a union shop so I was surprised to see them allow me to do this.  I ran them that way for the rest of the shows I went to at the venue and was never shut down (although I had to shut myself down because heavy rains came around and I didn't have my GAKbrella -- forgot to get it back from my buddy when I borrowed his CK63's).

Thanks again for the great help on this forum.  I know the whole head-worn actives solution is a whole 'nother animal. 

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 03:02:49 PM »
4) Run the them inside a pair of winter ear muffs...

Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

adrianf74

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 02:01:20 PM »

Lol.

Hey, I might be a Canadian and all but that would be far too ghetto for me.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 03:31:09 PM »

Lol.

Hey, I might be a Canadian and all but that would be far too ghetto for me.

Go decked out in your classic double-bun Princes Leia outfit.  Similar  geometry to the muffs, in a non-ghetto cosmically royal hairstyle.

It's got to be actual hair however, do not accept rediculous ghetto imitations-

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

adrianf74

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 03:08:52 PM »
It's got to be actual hair however, do not accept rediculous ghetto imitations-

LMAO.  Well played, sir.  Well played.  :)

And I thought I looked dumb enough in a Kangol ... actually, it kinda suits me but the Princess Leia outfit would be better left to my other half except for the fact that she'd never wear it (and I consider that a good thing). ;)

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 03:33:06 PM »

======================================================================================================

Well one of my main venues outside is red rocks (RR)and it blows hard there and from every direction. So with small rig ( h a t) I run DPA wind screens all the time and it will take up to about 15 - 20 MPH before noise is apparent in the recording from the wind. Also bring my dead rats and run these too at RR with small rig when wind is strong. Had success with dead rat, dpa wind screen and small rig material up to 35 - 40 MPH before noise is apparent in the recording from the wind.  You do loose high end running this many layers though you can modify in post to your mics actual frequency curve.  Even run a DPA ORFT bar with the small rig.  It looks funny though I don't care...When the lights go down then no one can tell anyway. Do not put on wind screen/dead rats/ DPA ORFT bar till after I get in venue. Also if the venue is inside it is dark anyway. There are many different types of hats. Have probably over 5 different systems for various settings. You can use layers too. Meaning use a base for set up of gear and the cover with a bigger outer layer....if you get my drift.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 03:41:31 PM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com