Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Suggestions for a camera/camcorder to pair with Tascam DR-60?  (Read 5941 times)

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
I finally pulled the trigger on a DR-60, which comes with the plural eyes video sync software. Also been reading posts in this section and I'm still wondering which direction to go in. From what I understand, the DR-60 has audio output to send to a camera/camcorder.If I understand the way plural eyes works, it syncs based on the the cameras audio track and the audio track that you are going to replace it with that was recorded on the camera/camcorder. I suppose it would work well enough based on what a camera's internal mic picks up, but it would be nice to send the audio signal from the DR-60.

So, my question is: Can anyone tell me if what I'm thinking is the way that it really works? And, if so, what's a good recomendation for a camera/camcorder with 1/8" audio input that records HD video, good low light sensitivity for concerts, can be powered via USB (optional) and won't break the bank? (Hopefully sub-$200-$250 range).

I'm assuming that if one exists, it's made out of unobtanium lol. New to the video thing, so any suggestions or advise would be appreciated. Thanks, Dan
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Suggestions for a camera/camcorder to pair with Tascam DR-60?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 10:27:54 AM »
1.  Not so many camcorders/cameras in the sub $250 range have 1/8 audio inputs these days.

2.  The HF M500 has the inputs and decent low light performance, but I think its about $400.  There may be some older used Canons in your price range.  (try www.Keh.com)

3.  You'd need to check the ability to power via usb.  My canon has a separate power connection, and it isn't USB shaped. 

Some of the Panasonic camcorders are supposed to have good low light performance.  You might take a look at them, too.

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 11:02:34 AM »
Thanks for the input. A friend has a Lumix PMC-LX5 that takes great video, but not sure about low light like a concert. And I've never used the Plural Eyes software, so I'm not sure how well it matches up to seperate audio sources if the camera and DR-60 aren't linked. Anyone that could comment on the Plural Eyes 3 software would be welcome too.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 09:34:36 PM »
I haven't used plural eyes, but most likely the issue will be that camera A will have a slightly different internal clock speed than recorder B.  The software will match up the beginning, but may drift past 45 minutes to 1 1/4 hour because the two devices record at slightly different clock speeds.  That means you may end up having to manual cut somewhere and resync when you get to that point of noticeable drift where ever it may be.  Not having used plural eyes, I can't really say if it has the ability to stretch or compress one source relative to the other to make all the points in between line up. 

When you shop for a camera, keep track of the f stop on the lens and the sensor size.  A numerically lowered number F stop gathers more light.  A larger sensor also tends to gather more light.  That might help you compare models as you shop. 

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 09:17:54 AM »
I have canon r300 which has mic in and use the dr60d to feed it
I think they are on r500 now, the same models have some with built in memory but the cost difference wasn't worth it to me
The battery that comes with it sucks, you will need an extended for sure
You can get refurb r400 right now for like $200
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline willndmb

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 01:10:32 PM »
Looks like the r400 is $159.99 with a one year warranty.  http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/camcorders/refurbished-consumer-camcorders?gclid=CN3urMLCg78CFaZ9Ogods0sAcA&cm_mmc=GA-_-CanonOnlineStore-_-131031Brand%20Paid%20Search-_-sitelink
thats it, sweet price for the camera imo
as for settings, it has a meter on screen so you can make sure your feed isn't overloading it HOWEVER I did have some tweaking to get it so you didn't have a hiss sound at times
I think my camera setting is at 35 (vs like 70 with my old set up)  and the dr60d is at 6. This way the camera isn't overloading or recurring noise and it gives you room to adjust the dr60d based on overall volume

this is one battery i have and its by far the best I have tried http://www.amazon.com/Decoded-BP-727-Battery-HFM500-Camcorder/dp/B00E0UM9L4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1403111501&sr=8-3&keywords=canon+r300+battery
i ran just full stage, no zooming for over 2.5hrs on it
others I have are not encoded so you don't know when they will die and I am lucky to get 1.5 hrs
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 01:13:27 PM by willndmb »
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 09:20:03 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I need to take a look at that Canon......I think the Plural Eyes uses the audio track from the camera and the one that you inport to sync up, so if you are feeding the audio to the camera, seems like it would "lock in" and stretch/shrink to fit......Who knows, only one way to find out:) And the Canon is in my price range. Would be nice if you could power it with USB. I've got a 20db attenuating cable laying around somewhere which might help with the connection between the recorder and camera.

And the DR-60 was on my front porch when I got home last night; haven't even opened the box. Time to play.......

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 09:59:32 AM »
According to this post, Plural Eyes 3.5 now has the ability to correct sync between video and audio. http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=24452 

Offline willndmb

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 11:19:39 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I need to take a look at that Canon......I think the Plural Eyes uses the audio track from the camera and the one that you inport to sync up, so if you are feeding the audio to the camera, seems like it would "lock in" and stretch/shrink to fit......Who knows, only one way to find out:) And the Canon is in my price range. Would be nice if you could power it with USB. I've got a 20db attenuating cable laying around somewhere which might help with the connection between the recorder and camera.

And the DR-60 was on my front porch when I got home last night; haven't even opened the box. Time to play.......
you will not need the attenuator cable if you go dr60d > canon
at least I was able to get rid of mine, thats was 100% needed for line out > canon on my tb/m10

if you are able to go dr60d > camera you will not need plural eyes either
if you have a mac and final cut pro then you can get rid of plural eyes as well
where plural eyes might be of huge help is in multi cam where one camera is much closer to the source then the other(s). It you have multi cam with the cams next to each other and mac/fcp you don't need plural eyes

i sold my pe3 for $65 on ebay and have used mac/fcp 100% but I have never had sources that where not close to each other

Offline techgui

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 07:55:18 AM »
As others have said, you don't need Plural Eyes with one camcorder.  I would suggest selling the Plural Eyes and putting the money towards a better camcorder.  Maybe a 2nd hand Panasonic TM700.  1000% better picture than the budget Canons.   If you stalk Ebay you could find one between $300 to $400. 

BTW, I also have a canon Vixia HF R300 and you can run the DR-R60 straight into the Canon.  If you plan on running a soundboard into the DR-60, I would suggest you get an attenuator cable just in case.

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 03:23:33 AM »
Buy the best camera you can afford
Record the best sound you can with the 60d
Synch them in post using Plural Eyes

Don't run your audio Dr60>camera especially into a 'budget' camera that will likely have cheap preamps. 

Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com