Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cool modular mic bar system...  (Read 19189 times)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Cool modular mic bar system...
« on: May 22, 2017, 11:15:23 AM »
I almost always take trains, with a lot of walking and an occasional bus, when I go to shows.  As a result, I am always trying to trim excess weight and bulk from my rig.  To get wider mic spacing, I was using a Manfrotto 154B, but that thing is the opposite of "light and compact", so I was searching for an alternative.  I had pretty much settled on either a followinbob 24" bar or a Grace spacebar, but I was hesitant to deal with the hassle of the international shipping (and associated VAT and import taxes) on the followinbob bar and the expense of the spacebar.  As luck would have it, I ran into a friend who does a lot of professional recording (including for NOS and VPRO) and he suggested I take a look at mic-bar.com.  I bought the basic AB bar and am really pleased with it.  Very solid construction and much lighter, and more compact, than the Manfrotto.  Robert, the owner, was very quick to respond to my e-mails and shipping was extremely fast and well-packaged.  At this point, I have used it "in the field" a couple of times and it works very well.  I will almost certainly pick up a second basic AB bar and the ORTF bar, which will give me 120 cm spacing (altogether, this will be the equivalent of Set 1: AB 120 cm).

During my search, I also came across this alternative.  It is more on a par with the spacebar (and priced accordingly).  This one also has a large central piece that mounts on the stand ("Mikrofonbasis mit Kabelabfangsystem"), but the bulk of that was another deterrent for me.

Anyway, I am not sure if this is of interest to most people here (due to shipping from Germany), but I thought I would post it.  I searched, but didn't see this anywhere, so apologies if it is already somewhere on the site...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 11:17:25 AM by aaronji »

Offline cjc1103

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • So much music, so little time!
Re: Cool modular mic bar system...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 12:19:56 PM »
Thanks for researching this. Sure, ORTF mic bars are common, good mic bars for spaced mics are hard to find. I too have a Manofrotto 154B, and while super solid, it is unwieldy and a little heavy so your mic stand is more likely to waver back and forth. I really want to be able to put up a spaced omni pair with an XY pair in the middle,slightly forward of the main bar so they form a triangle with the spaced pair, with the sides of the triangle perpendicular to a line from the mics to the speaker. Everyone I have seen doing this and been using a homebrew setup. I was looking at getting a machine shop to make me a customer mic bar, but I'm thinking this would be a good alternative.
Chris
Chattanooga, TN

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 12:32:22 PM »
Great looking product. We have been running split omnis with the Manfrotto for two summers now. This would be a nice alternative, but I would be loathe to do shipping and crap overseas.
BTW, what does the price translate to today in USD?
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 03:58:55 PM »
I spoke to the owner and told him about Taperssection retail page etc. Very cool guy has his own shop where he builds these.  I ordered the 2 shaped bar so I can run my AK40 active between and in front of my U89s.
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 06:07:44 PM »
Great looking product. We have been running split omnis with the Manfrotto for two summers now. This would be a nice alternative, but I would be loathe to do shipping and crap overseas.
BTW, what does the price translate to today in USD?

Checking the exchange rate today, it's around USD $122 for the "Basic AB" bar.  But those prices might include VAT which, in theory, U.S. residents shouldn't have to pay.  Maybe that and the overseas shipping would cancel each other out? 

Nice find, aaronji!  Don't know if one of these will be a future purchase for me, but you never can tell.  Some photos of it in use in the field would be cool. :)

Offline connloyalist

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 10:56:12 AM »
Nice!

Slightly off-topic.... I know what NOS setup is, but I am not familiar with a VPRO setup? (by the way, VPRO and NOS are both Dutch broadcasters).

Regards, Christine

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 12:01:52 PM »
^ Actually, I was referring to the broadcasters; my friend is a professional sound engineer who does a lot of recording (and live broadcasting) for those two and some others. 

Some photos of it in use in the field would be cool. :)

I tried to get a photo for you at Dub Trio in Amsterdam on Sunday.  The house lights were dim even before/after the show, though, and you can't see much (other than the silver part of the XLRs).  I will try again next time!

Offline waltmon

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 09:41:42 AM »
This is the new bar I ordered plus a 2nd set of knobs.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 09:47:59 AM »

^
Looks nice waltmon!
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 06:03:56 PM »
This is the new bar I ordered plus a 2nd set of knobs.

Out of curiosity (if you don't mind my asking), what did you pay for it in dollars? And how much was shipping to the US?

Offline waltmon

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 06:45:47 PM »
I wanna say 140 shipped with a couple extra knobs...I asked him to send me a paypal invoice the German website was troublesome :)

Offline if_then_else

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 06:01:59 AM »
I wanna say 140 shipped with a couple extra knobs...I asked him to send me a paypal invoice the German website was troublesome :)

FWIW: If you want "light, compact and modular", you could easily build your own mic bar by re-purposing some dslr accessories:

Manfrotto Dado adapter
rig rods (for DSLR cameras) with a diameter of 15mm and M10 threading (available in various length: 15cm, 25 cm, 30 cm, ...)
rod clamps (15mm diameter)
1/4 -> 3/8 threading adapters

The only downside is that you don't have any markings (for the various mic configs) on the rig rod.
But you could use a goniometer (used in physical therapy) instead.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 06:21:13 AM »

That's pretty reasonable.  Given the exchange rate right now, plus shipping, I would have thought it might be a bit more.  No VAT on exports makes a big difference!

Offline waltmon

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 08:11:08 AM »
And the gent was great to deal with as well.

Offline two2the8

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 03:20:19 PM »

FWIW: If you want "light, compact and modular", you could easily build your own mic bar by re-purposing some dslr accessories:

Manfrotto Dado adapter
rig rods (for DSLR cameras) with a diameter of 15mm and M10 threading (available in various length: 15cm, 25 cm, 30 cm, ...)
rod clamps (15mm diameter)
1/4 -> 3/8 threading adapters

The only downside is that you don't have any markings (for the various mic configs) on the rig rod.
But you could use a goniometer (used in physical therapy) instead.

Wow, this dado thing is pretty cool! Compact & modular... Dig it!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com