Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cool modular mic bar system...  (Read 19198 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Cool modular mic bar system...
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2021, 07:14:55 AM »
I think you should be good with the 5/8" rods because the difference isn't huge and there's a bit of slack with the camera rail clamps (unless you've fastened the thumb screws. I'd suspect 9.solution's 5.8" rods to be the same thing thing as regular 15mm rods anyway - because this is something like an industry standard.

Yeah that's a good point. Since they are a film / photo equipment company, it makes sense that they would use standard measurements.

Re. Dado or not as the centre-piece: This might depend on the number of mics you're going to run, their weight and the spacing between them.

I don't follow you here. You are relying on the integrity of the 3/8" double-ended adapter in both situations, be it connecting one rod to another or connecting each rod to the Dado.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2021, 07:30:13 AM »
I meant with a setup like audball's above...

I.e. only the rig rods with 3/8" connectors supported by a Rycote shock mount.

At some point, the weight of the mics (assuming a number of LDCs or heavier SDC mics like my Sojus 013s) and the rods will make this setup tip over (unless you've gaff-taped them into place or you're running some lightweight mics like actives or DPA 406x's).

This scenario is far less likely with the Dado as the center piece. (The downside is of course that you need more than just 1 shock mount).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 07:43:12 AM by if_then_else »

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2021, 04:09:34 PM »
^ All very true. This setup is fairly unique to my needs at the moment and that particular outing that day. Anything beyond what is shown in the field shot in my original post should be exercised with caution, tested repeatedly beforehand at home, and supported with the proper center attachment(s) for the weight distribution. It’s an evolving setup of sorts and was only posted as general guidance for others’ possibly DIY efforts, certainly not to copy outright. If I were running at greater heights, under windy conditions, or in a tightly packed FOB or other taping situation, I’d adjust this setup or use another mounting setup entirely, of which I have too many. :P

DO NOT RUN LDs WITH THIS SETUP!!!  This rig is more robust than what would be necessary for lavalier/tiny mics (it would definitely work!), but is perfectly adequate for SD/active situations as shown to a certain width / central support combination. I would not extend beyond ~50cm without additional or different central support for this setup. That dado-type ball is great and I may incorporate it in some way as well.

This thread is great and I’m really digging all the input and parts suggestions provided. Keep it up!
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2022, 01:27:07 PM »

The only thing I am having trouble locating are M12 to 3/8-16 double-male adapters to connect these rods directly to a Dado-style ball. I could only find this one, and it's very versatile but a bit expensive:

It also would be nice to find rod clamps that have 3/8-16 female threads but I haven't found any. It's not that I'm averse to using adapters; I don't quite trust short 1/4-20 screws to not break if things got bumped, particularly with mics spread out over a wide bar setup.

Apparently, now there are also some rig rods by 9.solutions in various lengths (up to 50cm) that have male 3/8 threaded endings or come with the corresponding adaptors. Diameters are either 10mm or 15,8mm.

In other words: you could connect them directly to a Manfrotto Dado (or one of its knock-offs).

https://www.thomann.de/de/9solutions_3_8_rod_set_500_mm.htm
https://www.thomann.de/de/9.solutions_5_8_rod_set_500mm.htm

Thanks for reminding me of those! I had found them a while back after purchasing the (excellent) 9.solutions Savior Clamp with Socket. I had forgotten about them until your post. I think this is now the way I would go if making a Dado-based setup. You don't even need the Dado if using the 5/8" rods, as the double-male center connector also has a 3/8" female thread cut perpendicular so you can just mount that directly to your stand.

Here's the full selection of rods they make. The question is if the 5/8" rods (nearly 16 cm) would be too wide to use 15 mm camera rail clamps.
https://9.solutions/products/grip-rigging-system-2/

For US buyers, Adorama and B&H carry their products.

Eventually got my hands on the 9.Solutions rig rods (2x 50cm + connectors). Very sturdy rod and good value for the price. For the outriggers I've reused some of my Manfrotto 014-38s. The slightly smaller 1.5cm rod clamps (from my video rig) did not fit.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2022, 11:52:19 AM »
Thanks for your report on those 9.Solutions 5/8" rods. Too bad they are a bit thick for 15 mm camera hardware. It surprises me that 9.Solutions would make them incompatible given that their products are marketed mainly for photo/video use.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com