Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)  (Read 91650 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Zoom F6 (32-bit float equipped)
« Reply #480 on: September 14, 2022, 06:20:38 PM »
Finally placed an order for one of these. Just curious how others here use the extra inputs. I imagine 6 inputs is not close to adequate for a multitrack mix for most bands playing decent sized clubs?

So mostly board patches + mics? Multiple mics for the heck of it?

On my F8 I use extra channels for dual record at different levels just to be safe, but I guess that's not really a concern with 32 bit (and I'm not sure if the F6 has the dual record feature).

There's a different kind of dual-record on the F6 where you simultaneously run a set of tracks at 24-bit fixed and a duplicate set of 32-bit float. I've never used it. I wonder if that feature exists on the new F8N PRO.
DPA 4061 ~ Line Audio CM3 ~ Naiant X-Q ~ AT 853  |  Naiant PFAs ~ Shure FP24  |  Zoom F6 ~ Sony PCM-M10
MOTU M2 ~ KRK Rokit RP5 ~ Sennheiser HD 650 ~ Etymotic ER4XR  |  iZotope RX ~ Reaper ~ foobar2000 (SoX linear)

Team Line Audio

Offline lmgbtapes

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #481 on: October 15, 2022, 01:25:47 AM »
I see they finally released an Android app for the f8 series - have they done the same for the f6? Google seems to say not? :(
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 03:31:05 PM by lmgbtapes »

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #482 on: October 15, 2022, 10:47:44 AM »
I see they finally released an Android app for the first series - have they done the same for the f6? Google seems to say not? :(

I thought I'd miss this, because on the 24-bit recorders we use, level monitoring is pretty important. For the f6, set it and forget it.

Though I guess if something funky happens, like the board isn't sending a signal, it's good to be able to monitor that.

My biggest complaint is to my knowledge, there's no lock function to prevent buttons from being pressed accidentally.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #483 on: October 18, 2022, 06:00:44 AM »
My biggest complaint is to my knowledge, there's no lock function to prevent buttons from being pressed accidentally.

There is a hold function, as described in the manual. Press and hold in the headphone level knob for a couple seconds.
DPA 4061 ~ Line Audio CM3 ~ Naiant X-Q ~ AT 853  |  Naiant PFAs ~ Shure FP24  |  Zoom F6 ~ Sony PCM-M10
MOTU M2 ~ KRK Rokit RP5 ~ Sennheiser HD 650 ~ Etymotic ER4XR  |  iZotope RX ~ Reaper ~ foobar2000 (SoX linear)

Team Line Audio

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "and the rowers keep on rowing!"
« Reply #484 on: October 18, 2022, 09:58:24 AM »
I installed F8 firmware support and the Android F8 Control app just prior to a fest this past weekend.  Need to play around with it some more.  Cool to be able to monitor levels on the phone, yet I ended up not using it. Didn't really need it and didn't want to screw anything up.

Biggest gripe thus far: I wish it allowed for bluetooth connection and disconnection while already recording simply to check levels and settings.  Seems it can only connect prior to recording.  Not sure if the same applies to the F6
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #485 on: October 18, 2022, 03:02:05 PM »
I installed F8 firmware support and the Android F8 Control app just prior to a fest this past weekend.  Need to play around with it some more.  Cool to be able to monitor levels on the phone, yet I ended up not using it. Didn't really need it and didn't want to screw anything up.

Biggest gripe thus far: I wish it allowed for bluetooth connection and disconnection while already recording simply to check levels and settings.  Seems it can only connect prior to recording.  Not sure if the same applies to the F6
There is no android app for the F6.
In my experience with the F6 and F3, it's a non issue as you just hit record and forget about it and chop off the beginning in post. I have the app and module for the F3, but just don't see any need to use it. The bluetooth module is just collecting dust at this point.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "and the rowers keep on rowing!"
« Reply #486 on: October 19, 2022, 08:45:03 AM »
I use the F8 in the same way. 

Don't really need the control app, mostly curious.  There have been a few situations in which it would have been useful where I put the entire rig up in the rafters without access to it during the show.  But even then it worked fine to just start recording well beforehand and stop it afterward.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (79)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #487 on: October 20, 2022, 01:35:31 PM »
So far, so good on the F6.  Menus are very intuitive, like a Sound Devices 633.

Offline roffels

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #488 on: November 08, 2022, 10:32:22 PM »
I'm loving this recorder - really nice, clean, low-noise soundboard pulls and haven't needed to use my attenuator pads like I do on my Sony a10 or Roland r07. Nice not needing to monitor my levels either - it's really a have my cake and eat it too situation. I can just enjoy my show and let my recorder do its thing. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2022 Taperssection.com